Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Just a length of hose. No bulb.
    I studied it and slept on it again and I ordered the bulb. It's simple enough to rig a hose up up but the hose has to have enough slack in it for full rear suspension travel. If I put that on there and then let Red down on his wheels, in which direction will that hose prefer to relax and chill out? That's all in the same airspace as where the exhaust pipe passes over the rear axle...Fire. Bulb, definitely. I don't know that I'll ever blow oil out of there again but I've seen it do it so I'll put the bulb on there and forget about it and know that there's not something riding back there that I engineered.
    Last edited by pdub; June 3, 2021, 06:45 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

loop the hose at the floorboard, basically it makes a trap like you have on your kitchen sink drain - if fluid ever gets in there, it will stop more going out. When the rear diff cools, it will draw whatever fluid is in that line back into the differential.... old 4x4 trick, works really well. Also, be sure that loop is located front to back, otherwise in one direction, once there is fluid in that line, you'll have a siphon.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 3, 2021, 09:18 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This is what Red's shifter looked like when I removed it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_72492.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1295182

This is what it's supposed to look like when mounted with the bushings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hurst2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1295183

Those pieces I posted a photo of were all that was left of the big square bushing at the tail of it when we stopped and I got under the car. Now, I pose the rhetorical question, how did it shift at all? The whole thing could move forward and backward and sideways by a lot. When I figured out it could still find 1st and 3rd and 5th and reverse, I figured we might as well keep going until it quit, we were on the side of the road already. It didn't occur to me right then that if it did totally quit we wouldn't be on the "side" of the road, we'd be in the middle of an intersection at a traffic light and there were lots of them between Daytona and home. But we made it!

Superman is all gigged out about Hurst bushings only lasting about 10K miles. I'm pretty surprised they lasted about 8 years after having been cooked at race tracks about 20 times.
        Last edited by pdub; June 4, 2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

wow
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I got the turkey baster. Somehow it's not quite as big as I thought it would be.

Name:	P1020056.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1295391

It's Ford's solution to the problem. I preferred this to putting a don't-know-how-slack hose in there in such close proximity to the spring and the exhaust pipe.

Name:	P1020057.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1295392

Just looking and guessing, I don't think that bulb would hold all of the oil I put back in the rear end. It would definitely be way better than having it all fly out. I'll probably never know unless I get the Daytona Jones again in a few years.

Name:	P1020059.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1295393

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
              This is what Red's shifter looked like when I removed it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_72492.jpg Views:	29 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	1295182

This is what it's supposed to look like when mounted with the bushings.

Click image for larger version Name:	Hurst2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1295183

Those pieces I posted a photo of were all that was left of the big square bushing at the tail of it when we stopped and I got under the car. Now, I pose the rhetorical question, how did it shift at all? The whole thing could move forward and backward and sideways by a lot. When I figured out it could still find 1st and 3rd and 5th and reverse, I figured we might as well keep going until it quit, we were on the side of the road already. It didn't occur to me right then that if it did totally quit we wouldn't be on the "side" of the road, we'd be in the middle of an intersection at a traffic light and there were lots of them between Daytona and home. But we made it!

Superman is all gigged out about Hurst bushings only lasting about 10K miles. I'm pretty surprised they lasted about 8 years after having been cooked at race tracks about 20 times.
              Found this kit to replace bushings with bronze if you can stand the extra noise/vibration that comes with solid bushings: https://ampdistributing.com/products...CABEgITVPD_BwE

Not sure about fitment, as this is listed as being for the factory ford performance shifter.... Do you still have the original around for comparison?
              Last edited by silver_bullet; June 8, 2021, 08:51 AM.
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                Do you still have the original around for comparison?
                No I fer sure don't. I'm trying to remember that was probably the very first thing to get tossed when I got Red in 2012. It's interesting that the outfit in your link is selling replacement bushings for the stock shifter because Ford won't sell the bushings, only the whole shifter. I say "interesting" because the stock shifter is the lousiest piece on the whole car as built, it's pitiful. Anybody who wants to replace the bushings on the stock shifter (or worse - replace the stock shifter with a new stock shifter) has never ever shifted that transmission with the Hurst. I've got Red's new bushings on and I completely absolutely cannot believe how tight it is and how ridiculously short the throw pattern is. It's unreal - as it was wearing out over the years I was getting used to however it was shifting as it wore out. That Billet Hurst for the Mustang is one helluva great shifter. After all, due to my negligence the bushings rotted completely off of it and it would still shift......some.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Found this kit to replace bushings with bronze if you can stand the extra noise/vibration that comes with solid bushings: https://ampdistributing.com/products...CABEgITVPD_BwE

Not sure about fitment, as this is listed as being for the factory ford performance shifter.... Do you still have the original around for comparison?
                  and now I know how to fix my Spider's shifter....
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

No I fer sure don't. I'm trying to remember that was probably the very first thing to get tossed when I got Red in 2012. It's interesting that the outfit in your link is selling replacement bushings for the stock shifter because Ford won't sell the bushings, only the whole shifter. I say "interesting" because the stock shifter is the lousiest piece on the whole car as built, it's pitiful. Anybody who wants to replace the bushings on the stock shifter (or worse - replace the stock shifter with a new stock shifter) has never ever shifted that transmission with the Hurst. I've got Red's new bushings on and I completely absolutely cannot believe how tight it is and how ridiculously short the throw pattern is. It's unreal - as it was wearing out over the years I was getting used to however it was shifting as it wore out. That Billet Hurst for the Mustang is one helluva great shifter. After all, due to my negligence the bushings rotted completely off of it and it would still shift......some.
                    I completely understand what you are saying... when we bought the Xtreme for Sean, one of the first changes we made was to put a Core billet shifter on the the NV3500 transmission...It has a Hurst stick, and we decided not to go with the Hurst due to their shifter being a cast piece that tends to break, and they quit supporting the NV3500.... it shifts like a sports car rather than like a truck.... https://core-shifters.com/pages/shifters
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Thanks for this forum, a lot of useful information. Yesterday I broke down how to fix the gearshift, I will fix it
                      employee tracking software
                      Last edited by Hassantanis; June 25, 2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X