Scrap Yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap Yards

Scrap yards are the biggest crooks on the planet. I won't apologize for that - there's good reason why most of the expensive property in downtown Portland, Oregon is owned by the largest scrapper (Schnitizer). it isn't because they honest.

Okay, so how to fight it. I'm sure Deaf Bob will pipe in here, but this needs to be both started and published.

Scrap yards make money by underpaying you for your material. I don't know how many times I've seen people throwing brass and aluminum on the tin pile. Tin pays the absolute least - and it's easy to tell the pile, it's the one with refrigerators in it.

So you sort, but most don't get that things like cast iron manifolds, engine blocks, and such are a higher value of cast iron then 'pig' iron which is unclean cast.

On top of that, if you sort the steel out, you'll double or even triple what you'd get if you just remove those.

Clean - scrap yards will deduct if you have things like paint cans, or unclean stuff - e.g. a radiator which is both brass and copper. If at all possible, especially on non-ferrous metals, break them apart enough to 5% 'dirty'

Aluminum. Right now aluminum is nearly gold at the scrap yard but here's where you really get their scam game - they find magnetic anything, and they'll call it dirty and you'll get barely above tin prices. How bad is that, $70/ton for tin, $30 EACH for aluminum wheels...

Cats. if at all possible, don't use the scrap yards but sell them to the guys on the internet.... yeah, they're crooks too but those crooks will pay you $50-$200 EACH for cats, where you might get $10/ea from the yards. Another classic there is the gypsies will see a newb in the yard and convince them to sell them their cats for $20 "as a favor".... they know you're a newb when you're throwing 4340 steel in the tin pile.

Aluminum cans. If you're going to the yard anyway, recycle them there.... but get a crusher because those things take up a lot of cargo capacity for not much weight.....

Some don'ts, though.
    1) don't carry liquid waste into the yard (motors still full of oil, etc).... just don't do it
    2) the person giving you the money didn't scam you, and they're not scamming you by telling you they're sending you a check.
    3) follow directions. they need to: first, weigh you, second, once you're off the scale, direct you, third weigh you at least once if not several times more depending on how thoroughly you sorted your material.
    4) they know you're a newb, ask lots of questions. Strangely, most of the guys in the yard love sticking it to their employer and they'll help you.... that isn't true at where they buy the non-ferrous metal.... I swear those guys get a commission because I've heard all manner of lies from them.... and been victim of them, now I love the sound of the bus running over them and will do it every time....

If you want to sell your metal but don't want to deal with the yards - some wrecking yards are pretty good to deal with and buy scrap. I have a U-Pull-it that is VERY competitive on stuff I bring them.

That said, when a scrapyard sends you to the tin pile, that's when you unload all your old, full paint cans. let them pay for that toxic mess.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

I hadn't sold any scrap for a while...I hauled a half a load to tucson last Friday, it was the remnants left at our old place, after the auction, which got most of it. I ended up getting quite a bit more than I expected. The yard guys were on my side, mostly.

Ten bucks for a couple small hanks of old romex...it's nuts
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Just a thought: if there is a cast iron foundry in your area, take your "CLEAN" cast iron there. They will pay comptetive prices for scrap that doesn't have core plugs, bolts, pistons, whatever that they have to remove.

And yes there are still a few left around the country, just have to look for them.

Comment

Yep. Told to give the lowball price except to boss’s friends.. I made boss weigh his buddies.
        see him buy big runner/driver Buicks and whatnot for $45-90. Sell them for $350+

Comment

Caveat Emptor !!!

Comment

It's an automotive salvage and recycling facility if you're selling the stuff, a junk yard if you're buying.

Dan

Comment

scrap metal yards and auto salvage yards are different things...one feeds the other....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                scrap metal yards and auto salvage yards are different things...one feeds the other....
                true, often they're owned by the same people.... In Oregon they can even be more incestuous , towing companies impound uninsured cars - way too often, the big towing companies are owned by the same people who own the wrecking yards and the scrap metal company. I bought a lot of cars from the towing companies, but often the 'sale' never was because the 'scrapper' would give a one-price on everything that no one could compete with... I lost out on an 1998 (this was 1999) 6 speed SS Camaro because of that deal... car was totaled but the running gear was solid. The scrapper offered 10k for it and got the other 10 cars in the auction. The only offer the towing company would take was on all of them.... ah well, in honesty, I'm not sure I would have had the funds to do anything with the running gear (I was building V8 S10s)...
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 20, 2021, 10:56 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X