4 Bolt or 5 Bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Bolt or 5 Bolt?

I'm fixin' to buy new tires and wheels for the Stang. He still has his original 4 lug hubs and rear axle flanges. I've found 4 lug 17" wheels I like but there are more choices in 5 lug so I'm back and forth. From a strength standpoint is it really worth it to swap to 5 lugs?

Dan

For a stock street car driven sedately ?
    No.

Comment

Unless the 5 lugs plus all the parts to switch it over are cheaper tht the 4 lug wheels you picked out I would keep it 4 lug.

I am #4lug4life! Lol
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        For a stock street car driven sedately ?
        No.
        Dan's mustang is not stock it has HCI 5.8 people have gone very fast on 4 lugs so I still think it should be ok.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

even my Harbor Freight dolly has 5 bolts!

Comment

If you hit a curb, 5 will likely hold up better
            @1978 chevy/Buick/Olds wagons have a bigger bolt circle than the sedans... still 5 lugs.
            Have seen cars with missing lug nuts do pretty good.. yet seen others just break more easily.
            like you say, better choices with 5..
            “should” be a simple axle/brake drum swap on rear and hubs up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              @1978 chevy/Buick/Olds wagons have a bigger bolt circle than the sedans... still 5 lugs.
              Have seen cars with missing lug nuts do pretty good.. yet seen others just break more easily.
              I have rear discs (Turbo Coupe rear) so it's slightly more complicated but doable. I've been running 4 bolts with the 10 hole 15" rims with success but given that I'm planning to go with new rims I figured this was the time to rethink this. I hope to avoid curbs!

Good to know that Russell has been using his 'Stang hard with 4 bolts so that's a check in the 4 bolt column.

Dan

Comment

145 mph car from Ford, abused as a cop car by State Troopers and other legal agencies, thousands launching Nitrous and slicks and usually the transmission blew up first... I think the 4 lug will do fine unless you want to do 4 wheel disc or 31 spline upgrade, in which case the 5 lug is probably a better answer.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

yeah, but Bob, how many 4 lug 17" aluminum wheel low profile tired Fox body derby cars do you really see? HAHAHAHAHA... kidding. Good to see you on here!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    yeah, but Bob, how many 4 lug 17" aluminum wheel low profile tired Fox body derby cars do you really see? HAHAHAHAHA... kidding. Good to see you on here!
                    I’d be a little concerned going from 13/14 to 17” rims. Granted. Less tire. Thus my comment about curbs.
                    Food for thought: Didn’t GM go down to 5 lugs on 4x4’s then back to 6?

Buddy had an F150 with big Ground Hawgs and 2 other friends had just as big tires on Cevy/GMC The Ford was always cracking rims at the lugs

Comment

Truck the Dodge/Cummins has 8 lugs but he's a big ol' bruiser. The 17" tire/wheel combo I'm considering has the same over all outside diameter as the 15's but I am considering a ~2" taller rear tire (245/55/17 - 27.6" tall) just because I liked the way Stanger looked with the 28" tall drag radials on the rear.

Brings up a second question: regardless of the number of lugs does anyone have experience with Sumitomo tires? The cheaper tire/wheel combos have Sumitomos and I haven't heard much pro or con on them. Guess I should Google that.......

Dan

Comment

I’d be a little concerned going from 13/14 to 17” rims. Granted. Less tire. Thus my comment about curbs.
                        Food for thought: Didn’t GM go down to 5 lugs on 4x4’s then back to 6?

Buddy had an F150 with big Ground Hawgs and 2 other friends had just as big tires on Cevy/GMC The Ford was always cracking rims at the lugs
                        They're 15's, probably a 225/60-15, about 26" tires and what seemed like low profile way back then looks like a truck tire now! Ford went up to six lugs on everything but my newish "1/2 ton" is rated for more weight than a lot of the old 3/4 ton stuff was.

It's a Fox body Mustang with a 351 though... if Dan starts driving it like a teenager, he'll find some curbs. Backwards probably. HAHAHAHAHAHA ... sorry Dan, had to. I speak from experience about that teenager mentality stupid Mustang tricks. Both a Fox and an SN95 are pretty unforgiving when you push them over the edge. I broke a section off the rim on a 17" rim 5 lug being a complete idiot, but the 15's lived through my stupidity, 4 lug and all. The 15's definitely off-road better.
                        Last edited by Beagle; June 5, 2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I think the 4 lugs will hold . I just don't like the look . I looks weenie . If you were going to not by new rims , like say buying used or trading' Id say leave the 4 lugs on there . But new wheels and new tires , 4 lugs got to go !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                            I think the 4 lugs will hold . I just don't like the look . I looks weenie .
                            I was trying to figure out what to say....yeah. A coupla years ago I went across the street and Superman was wrenching on his son's girlfriend's rice bucket. That's the first thing that caught my eye, I said, "There's nothing quite like a 4-bolt pattern that screams NO performance."
                            Last edited by pdub; June 5, 2021, 02:23 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Unnless you are only turning left, you can't count the lugnuts when it is in front of you.

There's nothing that screams performance like somebody else's tail lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X