57 Ford Build by a GM guy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Ford Build by a GM guy...

As some might remember, this guy is a friend of mine https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/

They went to a huge show on Sunday (won, actually), and came back with the mod bug. Body, floors are solid (and recently repaired).

They about were overcome by exhaust gases, and want to update the car. Budget friendly mods. To be honest, I'm not sure this car is his vibe - but it is his vibe right now.... and a great learning tool

I'm thinking new brakes, exhaust, maybe crate 302/AOD, wiring, cooling system and A/C... eventually, I'm certain Anthony will have a monster car, but right now, this needs to be a reliable car. No carb, no drum brakes, no 60 year old cooling system...

So Ford guys... I'll put an LS in it if you don't help me out with some specifics.... (how's that for a threat?)

What suspension/brake stuff? what do I need to know about this car? mom is going to drive this for the next 3(ish) years, so it needs to be a daily (working wipers and all)....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 21, 2021, 09:33 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    As some might remember, this guy is a friend of mine https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/

They went to a huge show on Sunday (won, actually), and came back with the mod bug. Body, floors are solid (and recently repaired).

They about were overcome by exhaust gases, and want to update the car. Budget friendly mods. To be honest, I'm not sure this car is his vibe - but it is his vibe right now.... and a great learning tool

I'm thinking new brakes, exhaust, maybe crate 302/AOD, wiring, cooling system and A/C... eventually, I'm certain Anthony will have a monster car, but right now, this needs to be a reliable car. No carb, no drum brakes, no 60 year old cooling system...

So Ford guys... I'll put an LS in it if you don't help me out with some specifics.... (how's that for a threat?)

What suspension/brake stuff? what do I need to know about this car? mom is going to drive this for the next 3(ish) years, so it needs to be a daily (working wipers and all)....
    Aaron - this is going to take a while!
    Stock wiper motor is vacuum and are barely adequate in Death Valley. Newport Engineering sells an electric motor replacement BUT it still relies on the cable/pulley/spring drive mechanism which in the North West might not do that well. I finally gave up on that and went with a Specialty Power Windows Wiper motor kit. They actually work pretty well BUT you are the pig in sausage as you pretty much have to destroy the existing cowl mount wiper transmissions to make their transmissions work. I might be able to find some pictures if/when you are ready to go down this road.

Low power / daily driver - 302/AOD it probably the most economical path to better drive train. It should have a 9" (first year) in it so gear rations/axle/traction options are plentiful. The upper control are are HUGE and most likely will limit header choices. Power steering might be a little more involved as I believe that they used power assist rams on the drag link in that era which I have never been that found of. I would suspect you could find a power steering sector that you could swap in with you fabrication skills. Brakes - rear drums are probably adequate - you can get 10 x 2 drum assemblies from Morrison and others. I can't swear to it but I would bet you can get front brake conversion kits that rely on metric GM calipers and Granada rotors.

Between Dennis Carpenter and Concourse Parts you should be able to get most of the stuff you need to fix the weather strips, bushings and other little stuff.

Comment

really good information. thank you. I may recommend a full, new chassis - we will see. I'm not afraid of the work to modify, but I think a 13 year old's attention span has to be a consideration. I have ADD, I use it for my benefit, but I know that if I go too long on something, I'll lose interest. I suspect he's the same way.... it is expensive, but a frame swap is 3 work days (call it a month in real time) but then he has a foundation where he can do, literally, anything....

Comment

What ctmwgn said! Though I'd add to get the AOD and not the AODE trans which needs a control module or 'puter. The AODE is slightly newer and the basic difference is the need for electronics.

If he can find a used Mustang w/5.0 as a parts car (SN 95s tend to be pretty cheap) it'll save a ton of money and trips to PnP for fiddly bits. The engine may or may not be usable but you'll get the EFI stuff, an ECM & harness, etc. as well as the trans if he can find an automatic car. I'm not sure what year the trans switched from AOD to AODE but if he starts with a parts car it probably doesn't matter as he'll get the trans control electronics.

Dan

Comment

We put an 89 ishy Crown Vic front clip in a 60 Ford Newer went into older frame...
          not sure how that would work for 57, I know 58 Edsel is narrower than the 60 Ford
          aligning it to not plow was a pain.
          Vic frame allowed SBC to fit where older frames need the firewall and wiper compartment cut up
          Maybe an aluminum cradle from a 03-05 Vic will work to get the motor/trans and brakes you want.
          You know there are eons of parts for 9”.
          Maybe grab a Vic that had been rear ended
          I do love driving my P71.

Comment

So, I have forgotten if his is a Custom 300 or a Fairlane. It is my understanding that the Fairlane has a slightly different wheel base / frame. IF it is a custom 300 then something like this could work to get better front suspension and brakes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	03-03-2008 12_26_19AM (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	1296515

Art Morrison Deluxe IFS front clip (I think they may call it a bikini clip or something like that)

Click image for larger version  Name:	03-03-2008 12_27_20AM (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	1296516

Click image for larger version  Name:	03-03-2008 12_18_54AM (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	1296517

Basic Mustang II front clip - not the best for road racing or drag racing but for just driving around seems to work OK for me. LOTS of parts for shocks, springs, brakes. A lot cheaper than a full frame. This stuff is over 20 years old so I suspect that are new and improved options out there. Beside the fact that I started with Morrison stuff - he is somewhat close to you which could make it easier to check out his stuff in person.

x
            Last edited by cstmwgn; June 21, 2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I don't have the bandwidth to build a clip for his car - it'd take at least a year to get accomplished (heck, how long have I been waiting to paint the underside of my Buick wagon?)... absolutely it's cheaper, but time is of the essence and the family is doing okay financially.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                What ctmwgn said! Though I'd add to get the AOD and not the AODE trans which needs a control module or 'puter. The AODE is slightly newer and the basic difference is the need for electronics.
                If he can find a used Mustang w/5.0 as a parts car (SN 95s tend to be pretty cheap) it'll save a ton of money and trips to PnP for fiddly bits. The engine may or may not be usable but you'll get the EFI stuff, an ECM & harness, etc. as well as the trans if he can find an automatic car. I'm not sure what year the trans switched from AOD to AODE but if he starts with a parts car it probably doesn't matter as he'll get the trans control electronics.
                Dan
                I always thought the SN95 (1994+) got the AODE I think you will be looking for a 1986-93 mustang if you want EFI and a aod. Do they have the shift cables that have to be adjusted correctly? A panther chassis car would probably be cheaper than a Foxbody mustang the price is on the rise right now for them. You can get convertibles that need a top sometimes for a good deal. 86?-88 "fox" thunderbirds would be 302-aod the 89 got the 5.0 for a few years before they switched to the 4.6 can't remember the year. Not sure on hood clearance but don't forget trucks looking for a 5.0. If you are ok with an AODE the explorers also has a 5.0. Figure out what you want to do for engine management then do you mind changing the oil pan / fed? Then look for a donor.
                Last edited by Russell; June 23, 2021, 05:45 AM.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

For a donor, a 302 era Explorer / Mountaineer gets you disc rear brakes and there are piles of them with 4.10's or 3.73's with a traction lock. It'll have an L at the end of the axle code on the VIN body tag. They are offset though, something to keep in mind. They would have either the GT40 or GT40P heads / top end depending on year, and pretty sure they all had a 4r70w. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with a 302 when there are dirt cheap 351's all around. I'm not much for an AOD/E either ... you spend money, time, or both getting them to live. They AOD has a TV cable that is easy enough to adjust, but get it wrong and smell burnt tranny fluid soon after. I would opt for the 4r70w and a Baumann. A 351 truck donor may be worth considering but the E4od weighs about as much as a 302... haha.

'95 or so they started roller cam ready 351 blocks, I don't know exactly when. If the valley bosses are tapped, it probably has the longer lifter bores and all you would need is the spider/roller lifters, cam, and measure for pushrods. If it already has a roller cam setup in it, Bonus... because the distributor gear needs to match too. I've seen them either way. Truck intakes for either the 8.2 deck or 9.5 deck are TALL.

If I remember right, pretty much all of the trucks and Mustang/Fox had a rear / dual hump sump oil pan, no mechanical fuel pump provisions on front covers, and dipsticks that came out of the block, not the front cover. Things to consider...

A cammed late model 351 with AFR heads, RPM air gap and a 750 is a pretty decent street setup that doesn't require a tech support department. None of the aftermarket EFI manifolds are cheap and throttle body injection is only barely EFI. You don't get the long runner torque with a TBI and having the computer right above the heat factory just seems like an invitation for failure. Meanwhile, a Megasquirt and a Baumann is a fairly well documented and sorted combination. I think there are folks using Canbus and a Mega+Microsquirt for ECM and trans control these days too.

I'm too lazy to look up numbers but a body swapped Explorer just crossed my mind.

Or you could just LS swap it, that's the best Windsor Chevy ever made.
                  Last edited by Beagle; June 23, 2021, 08:05 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

I always thought the SN95 (1994+) got the AODE I think you will be looking for a 1986-93 mustang if you want EFI and a aod. .
                    I was suggesting that if you get an SN95 you'll get an AODE but also the computer to control it if you start with a parts car. Panther would probably be a great choice, too.

Dan

Comment

I avoided suggesting the truck donors due to the intake height but the old Ford might accept that - time to get out a measuring stick!

Dan

Comment

I’ll have to cut briars to get to the 57 wagon, pretty sure they are front sump oil pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          I’ll have to cut briars to get to the 57 wagon, pretty sure they are front sump oil pans.
                          And rear steer I believe!

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Can a DOHC 32V be put in a '57 FORD?? Yes!! Is it easy and quick to do? NO!!

I know a local guy with a '57 mordoor SW that used a Lincoln Mk Viii engine/trans/harness/ecu, turned out really good, but was a slow, painstaking process, and he is a a Ford trained mechanic. AND, this swap is what I like to call "10 pounds of shyte in a 5 pound bag". The four can Mod motors take up A LOT of real estate.

An easier to find and likely more affordable donor would be a 1989-?? Thunderbird/Cougar with the 5.0, AFAIK, same longblock as the Mustangs got, with a lower intake to clear the hoodline. Another would be the Lincoln Mk Vii LSC (Foxbody), they had the 5.0 roller motor, and made slightly less HP due to the intake design.

On the suspension issue, go digging on any forums for 50's fords, I believe (will need to be verified) the above mentioned '57 SW has Granada spindles & disc brakes.

The disc brake swap using production parts has been well documented..........

Comment

Working...
                              X