Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford/'Stang Rear Caliper Mystery

Why is everything I do weird?

Turns out that the '93 Cobra emergency brake cables don't hook up to my rear calipers which have been on the car ever since I converted to the Turbo Coupe rear axle assembly probably 20 years ago or so. I have good foot brakes but haven't had emergency brakes and need them to pass NC state inspection. I ordered up what ought to be the right calipers (here tomorrow from Advance) but I'm trying to figure out what the calipers on the car were made for as I'm a curious guy (take that any way you like).

Replacement cables - these are the PN for a '93 Cobra:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	875.6 KB
ID:	1296490

And the caliper end from the old cables:

Name:	IMG_0676.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	1,006.5 KB
ID:	1296491

You can see, that ain't gonna hook up.

And the rear of the existing caliper. Hunting thru Rock Auto and the Internet has turned up nothing that looks like this. The "right" caliper has a hook that the new cable should hook right in.

Name:	IMG_0677.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	975.2 KB
ID:	1296492

Any ideas?

Dan

perhaps you could take a few more pictures of the rear brakes? and maybe see if there are some numbers on any of the parts that might help us figure out exactly what year the rear end is? Ford was pretty good with their part numbers, you know....if it says something like E8Sx-xxxx-x then we know it's from a 1988 or so T bird, for example. (E means 1980s, 8 means 8th year of the decade, S means Tbird, Z means Mustang, A means full size car, T means truck, etc)
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      perhaps you could take a few more pictures of the rear brakes? and maybe see if there are some numbers on any of the parts that might help us figure out exactly what year the rear end is? Ford was pretty good with their part numbers, you know....if it says something like E8Sx-xxxx-x then we know it's from a 1988 or so T bird, for example. (E means 1980s, 8 means 8th year of the decade, S means Tbird, Z means Mustang, A means full size car, T means truck, etc)
      As always, great suggestion. I'll see if I can find a PN on either side and take a pic if so. I have one more pic already as follows but I wasn't sure if it would be helpful:

Name:	IMG_0678.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	960.3 KB
ID:	1296507

Dan

Comment

Mystery solved (thanks Jim!).

I took a pic of the caliper and found an atypical Ford number which proved to be casting number. After a Web search and for reasons unknown it turns out to be an '87 Lincoln MK VII or Continental (and probably others). I'm wondering if my old cables will work but I haven't really dug into it yet. Absolutely no clue why those calipers are on a Turbo Coupe rear under a Mustang but there they are......

This rear was allegedly dug out of a trash bin at Ford engineering long before I got it so I'm guessing anything is possible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0681.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	903.3 KB ID:	1296510

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; June 21, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

but anyways, it does look like a 1984-89 mustang rear caliper,

Find the right BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured for your vehicle at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Place your order online and pick it up at your local store for

My fabulous web page

Comment

If it was a prototype turbo coupe, then they just used whatever mustang parts they had laying around to get the car going?

btw the one I linked shows it fits lincolns as well as mustangs
            My fabulous web page

Comment

If it was a prototype turbo coupe, then they just used whatever mustang parts they had laying around to get the car going?
              Really unknown. Just what the guy told be about the origin of the axle assembly.

The one in your link looks like what I have but not a Turbo Coupe or '93 Cobra caliper. More Ford mysteries......

Dan

Comment

one problem with getting parts that have a story, is that stories are not worth very much.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Got an Email back from LMR from whom I've been buying bits for the 'Stang now that he's an antique. It seems that the fitted calipers are SVO and not Cobra. LMR has the SVO cables which are on the way - easy fix once you know what you're working with. I'll send back the Cobra bits.

As far as the story - yep, it's a story but these kinds of stories happen in the Detroit area (or at least they used to) as the manufacturers scatter parts all over the area to subcontractor shops, etc. Some of the stories are even real, like the story of my previously zero mile 5.8 engine.

Dan

Comment

SVO is the second thing I looked up, when searching for the caliper....it's also in the list of applications for the part in the link I posted.

Hopefully the new cables fit!
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

but anyways, it does look like a 1984-89 mustang rear caliper,

Find the right BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured for your vehicle at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Place your order online and pick it up at your local store for

I knew the 84-86 SVO had rear disk and the 93 cobra. I thought all the other V8 cars had drums?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

not according to the applications listings on the parts store web pages....

Of course, they could be lying.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

not according to the applications listings on the parts store web pages....

Of course, they could be lying.
                          could be including the Mk Vii brakes too?
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

could be including the Mk Vii brakes too?
                            No doubt those calipers were used on lots of Ford offerings. Unlikely that they'll make a caliper to fit a single model. They cross reference to the Mark VII as well.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

No doubt those calipers were used on lots of Ford offerings. Unlikely that they'll make a caliper to fit a single model. They cross reference to the Mark VII as well.

Dan
                              Yes there is/was GM, Chrysler and Ford only salvage yards as I remember. And the interesting thing about that was you could get brand new parts inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X