Car guys and Steampunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car guys and Steampunk

In the Captain's thread for his Indy car, he mentioned recently going to a Steampunk gathering, and fitting right in. Not surprising as most of us like neat old stuff, which to us is our everyday tools, cars, household furnishings, etc.

As examples, I proffer the following images:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1172.JPG Views:	20 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1297997

This lamp came about quite by accident, literally. I had just installed a new lamppost in the front yard, and Maggie took the car to go somewhere. Upon returning she was backing into the driveway, and turned the steering wheel the opposite direction. So 1 week old and it needs to be replaced. I can't throw things away so the parts were stored in the basement. One day I was sitting at my work bench and looking at the parts when I decided to see if I could straighten the bent parts. Needless to say I did and made a table lamp for Maggie as a joke. Guess what? She loved it and has it on her bureau. It's been since 2012.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1170.JPG Views:	18 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1297998

This lamp came about because I had this giant Deutsche diesel engine exhaust valve. And the lab had that copper p-trap going into the scrap bin. A couple of fittings and some bits and bobs later, a lamp is born. A good weapon also should someone try to break in...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1169.JPG Views:	18 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1297999

Leftover Mini gears? Make a lamp. Some scrap plumbing and a pressure gauge, wire and make a lamp guard, and there it is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1175.JPG Views:	19 Size:	714.4 KB ID:	1298000

Got this back in the 60's from my grandmother's attic. I've rewired it, cleaned a century of grunge off and its back in business. It's still the quietest fan we have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1176.JPG Views:	19 Size:	788.1 KB ID:	1298001

My first office chair from the first engineering job, and my father's desk made by my grandfather the cabinetmaker. The chair is from the 30s and the desk was made in the 40s after the war for my father's first medical office.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1173.JPG Views:	19 Size:	725.6 KB ID:	1298002

Last for this dump, is a small collection of oddball old stuff that was just collecting dust. Model A wrenches, a few oil cans, some actually old, and other stuff that hints of Steampunk.

One tool, the Lufkin folding Redhead ruler, was given to me by a carpenter in the late 50s to get me out of his way. He was an apprentice under my grandfather in the 1930s. This was my first tool of my own, andI still use it. It's probably older than me (don't ask...), and its not broken or worn out.

So let's see more of the Steampunk stuff all of us seem to collect without knowing we were following a trend.

I love those old fans.

Comment

My ex-BIL went to the Pappleworth pumping station Steampunk festival in England and saw this contraption.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pappleworth Pumping Station Steampunk.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1301452

Comment

Now that's a motorcycle. Especially like the tractor seat. About the only thing I would change is the wheels. IMHO it would be great with spoked wheels all plated brass bronze or copper. But that's just me...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
          About the only thing I would change is the wheels. IMHO it would be great with spoked wheels all plated brass bronze or copper.

Name:	YAGUSO Hybrid Gold Plated No.10.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1301457

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Name:	YAGUSO Hybrid Gold Plated No.10.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1301457
            Yes that's the answer... how do you guys, 1-find stuff like that somewhere, and 2-get it posted so fast?

makes me feel so much like a troglodyte or luddite, or is it a troglodytic luddite, or ludditic troglodyte?

Comment

I entered "gold spoke motorcycle wheel" in the Google URL address bar and hit enter.
              I clicked the "Images" tab on the search results page.
              I found the most suitable image and clicked "Copy"
              Entered new post on forum and uploaded attachment.

15-seconds of keystrokes ....

Comment

Dave's a great guy but he IS a troglollud. It's hard to enter keystrokes when your knuckles are scarred from dragging on the ground.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Dave's a great guy but he IS a troglollud. It's hard to enter keystrokes when your knuckles are scarred from dragging on the ground.

Dan
                  Yes it's true!. But at least I don't have to shave my knuckles that way...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                    Inability to spell is a sign of troglodyteness. troglodyte is probably the word you were seeking? I get that all that knuckle dragging you've done can make a keyboard a bit of a lark.... but still, even google knows how to spell it
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 1, 2021, 07:32 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm am from Way Before the Turn Of The Century !!!
                      Before 50 stars on the flag, OR Anything Launched into the low earth orbiting Junk Yard......
                      I'm From the Toaster Age of Modern Electronics....
                      One Maybe Two Buttons, and ANYTHING WORKED !!!!
                      No Menu......No Screens......No Access Codes.........
                      "PUSH the Button MAX !!".......You Could Fire Cannons......Start World War Three.....
                      And Get Toast in the Morning !!!

And I learned English from the Canadians......my defense of spelling Errors....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        I'm am from Way Before the Turn Of The Century !!!
                        Before 50 stars on the flag,
                        I too, am a 48-star flag man ... 64 in four months.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

64 in four months.
                          One month. Just barely pre-Sputnik.

EDOT: I am one week older than Superman across the street. Last year Unit was FaceBooking with Mrs, Superman one night and she said, "We missed Superman's birthday." I grinned while a huge look of realization collapsed on her. She had completely forgotten about my birthday, it came and went. I said that sets a precedent, let's forget them all from now on.
                          Last edited by pdub; August 2, 2021, 09:13 AM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

So besides the Captain, has anybody made a Steampunk automotive masterpiece? Captain has set a bar for all of us who seem to collect nos (neat old stuff, see I kept it clean) to use those collections of nos in efforts to top (or bottom) the Captain's masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Inability to spell is a sign of troglodyteness. troglodyte is probably the word you were seeking? I get that all that knuckle dragging you've done can make a keyboard a bit of a lark.... but still, even google knows how to spell it
                              Nope. I was blending troglodyte and luddite. Dave's a great guy but is some of each.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X