Huge fun with lubricant - Weeville Garage Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge fun with lubricant - Weeville Garage Episode 7

I noticed a some drops on the garage floor under Bluebelle. One drop for each of the last times we parked her in a barely different spot. I checked the oil. Down a quart. <<Insert optional quantity of expletive>> 22K mile car is leaking oil. I can't see anything going on from up top. Might as well change her oil and wipe her down before trading her in.

I got underneath to change the oil and the filter was leaking, probably had been since the day I didn't put it on there tight enough. Ohhhh it was not tight. Wiped everything down and it looked to me like the axle seal was leaking on the passenger side....if that's motor oil how did it get all the way back and up there?. The transmission fluid was way down on the stick hot, below the operating range. <<Insert more profanity>> I researched and found that the 6F35 transmission on the 2012 Fusion was born a turd. Count on the axle seal leaking, there was an imperfect finish on it where it slides through the bushing/seal and it eats that up. Soon. Very very soon. The owner's manual says the transmission fluid and filter should be changed at 150K miles. That's hilarious. The filter is inside the case, not serviceable without splitting open the case. Everybody all over the net says you'd better change the fluid at least every 30K even if the seal leaks or not, the required Mercon breaks down quickly in that particular transmission in that particular application.

But the seal that goes out after you drive if off the lot is on the driver side. My suspicious situation is on the passenger side, different half shaft, different seal configuration. Hmmm. Changed the oil, wiped it all off and keep an eye on the transmission fluid level. I might as well change the transmission fluid rather than add some to get it up in range since she's already got 22K miles on her. (((Is this ridiculous yet?))).

So, I'll change the transmission fluid and if I don't see it leaking around the seal on the passenger side we'll keep her a while. It's not like we drive her a lot anyhow. So how much fluid to put in it? I did all kinds of searches and watched all kids of videos on how to change the fluid and how to replace the axle seal. That's rolling the dice. Some sources say 5.7 quarts. One guy on a video said 7 quarts. I checked Bluebelle's birth certificate on the B pillar to ID exactly which transmission she has and in the owner's manual it says 9 quarts. Right there in a Times New Roman 14 font, black ink.

So I bought 9 quarts. I drained it, and from guessing what was in the catch pan that for sure ain't 9 quarts. Remember, we knew it was low but that's ain't even in the neighborhood of 9. So I poured in 7, since I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do. I drove her round and round the block to heat her up. If this thing seizes up or gets caught between gears, I can manage to walk back home. Got her hot and checked the stick. It's hugely overfilled by an unknown amount. I don't know what too much automatic tranny fluid will exactly do but I know it ain't good.

So tomorrow after Bluebelle and I both cool off some, I'll attempt to drain approximately 1.3 quarts back out of the tranny case because now I'm guessing that the lottery estimate of 5.7 quarts is probably what it's supposed to hold. And I've learned that I should have used the Ford owner's manual last year when we were starting to get a little concerned about running out of toilet paper.
    Last edited by pdub; July 14, 2021, 07:25 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

nothing worse then an oily, overfilled, southerner.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yes that left side front corner is problematic. We had a v6 awd version Fusion 2011. At 167000 miles with factory recomended service, it spit out pieces/parts and barely made it off the thruway. $5k estimate to replace for a car worth $5k maybe at the time.

Comment

I don't understand what could have happened to it you only drive it to the grocery store and the AIRPORT! . Sorry you got a turd.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          and the AIRPORT!

HahhahahA!!!!! I had nearly forgotten all of that. It's like the Karate Kid - speed limiter on, speed limiter off. Tune it, f-k it up, reboot, reflash...add a CAI and stir vigorously. It's like that Hellcat Andy leased...HAhahahahahahha!!!!! Low miles, all service records!

Comment

could the discrepancy in quantities be the converter? The dry fill quantity would be higher than just an in car oil change. Also, have you considered changing the filter while you are messing with it?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
              have you considered changing the filter while you are messing with it?
              All the info I could gather indicates you have to split the trans case open to get to the filter and that's why everybody says change the ATF real often to try to keep it alive. Instead of First On Race Day it's a Fix Or Repair Daily scenario.

What I don't know fills many volumes so I don't know about any converter discrepancy with the fluid capacity as presented in the owner's manual but maybe that's what it is. One of the videos I watched was a guy in Dubai. He said he was making the video because the previous day he had filled his and had put too much in it and was trying to let some back out when he dropped the bolt and it all ran out. I'm about to go out there and try to let some out of it. Hmmmm...this might be a good Weeville Garage episode. We'll see how it plays out.

Comment

the other possibility is get it flushed at a shop - that cleans the filter and changes the fluid

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  the other possibility is get it flushed at a shop - that cleans the filter and changes the fluid
                  "Somebody" said that the flush machines use whatever fluid is in it from the last car they car they flushed and that'll contaminate the Mercon, which "somebody" said is a drop dead don't-mess-with-it formulation for that particular transmission. If you can enlighten me further or more truthfully on that suspicion it would be a great thing...

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    ... All the info I could gather indicates you have to split the trans case open to get to the filter ...
                    GENIUS!!! Maybe that is why they didn't even bother to put a dipstick on my girlfriends 18 Expedition!

So

Driver Returns On Foot is yet another one to add to the list

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

"Somebody" said that the flush machines use whatever fluid is in it from the last car they car they flushed and that'll contaminate the Mercon, which "somebody" said is a drop dead don't-mess-with-it formulation for that particular transmission. If you can enlighten me further or more truthfully on that suspicion it would be a great thing...
                      my advice is somewhere like number 20 or 30 on the list of alternatives. That is list is cars you should trade for, ignoring that advice - if the choice is pull the transmission, simply do a fluid change (which only gets about 60% of the fluid), or getting a reputable shop to do the flush... I'd go with flush. Best part is you can blame them if the transmission becomes a box of neutrals and get a new transmission on their dime.

I don't know or care who told you that they simply replace your fluid with what came before, however, unless you see 7 different machines (for each of the common ATF fluids available now), the likelihood of that being true is somewhere around the likelihood of me dailying a Ford.... it's possible, but there hasn't been a drug made which could cause that to happen (that said, perhaps that person would share?)
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 14, 2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

So

Driver Returns On Foot is yet another one to add to the list
                        Is that after you "Flip Over. Read Directions?"

Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

9 year old car not being driven much ... the seals lose flexibility like you did between 51 and 60, and they will leak. Insert brand name here.

Cstmwagon nailed it - converter holds several quarts. Unless you are up for a bunch of work, you never really change all of the fluid.

As far as I can tell, there are two schools on automatic transmission fluid changes - run it until it drops or change it like religion. Don't run it until it almost drops and change it, because you will kill it on the spot. If you're not going to be a freak about every 27,912 mile changes, then leave it alone for the 150k or more this modern junk will usually last until it dies. Ask how I know, only took 3 rebuilds to figure that out.

If it really bothers you, trade it. I'd trade it for something with a 2 piece oil seal like they used to use so it can mark it's territory fresh from a rebuild, or maybe an AMF era Harley. Wiping the floor down with oil helps trap dust and oil munge for you to track into the house on the white carpet. Honestly, I think I'd just top it off and not sweat it. Keep a gallon of gas in the trunk and your insurance adjuster's phone number handy for when it strands you on the highway. (kidding.)

How many cars come with transmission dipsticks any more?
                          Last edited by Beagle; July 14, 2021, 10:26 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I don't know or care who told you that
                            You'd have to watch as many videos about it as I have. One of those greasy guys with a lift and a camera said it and he wasn't Southern.

So far I've got over a quart out of it without dumping the whole case but that wasn't enough, I've got to do it again. And yes, this procedure will be WG Episode 7 to throw into the pile with the other oily rags for anybody who does exactly what I did by taking the owner's manual literally.

Comment

Peewee, you know the drill. No good deed goes unpunished.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X