• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milkovich
    replied
    Re: Automotive related T.V. programs

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    In other words it's all flash and no substance. Describes Hollywood to a "T".
    Yeah... I guess that pretty much summarizes my post in 9 words. :-\

... ranting is so much more fun though. ;D

Leave a comment:

• noplanb
    replied

Chop Cut Rebuild - no ego, no bs or fake drama. Techs know their stuff.

No patience anymore for those product placement infomercial shows for Z-Max and such.

Leave a comment:

• Stoneshrink
    Guest replied

While on TV programs, Stacey Dave brings up a really good point. Your comments get read by plenty of insiders and if you just wait they'll most certainly try to copy what you want. ... Cases in point, a few months ago I pointed out on several "reader's surveys" and other comment areas that I want to see E85 articles because it's cheap racing fuel. Car Craft this month, in their article on the pro-charger Mopar said, "E85 is half the cost of racing fuel". Your comments matter, so let the TV shows have it. I can, however, give you an outsider's view of how your comments matter. BE SPECIFIC. That's it.... Stacey Dave invited people a few years ago to send comments in as to what the viewers would like to see. I sent in a comment that I wanted to see a vehicle finished like what I was doing with my Studebaker. 4x4 chassis, different running gear, powerplant, etc.... Of course he did the project, note Sgt. Rock.

Now, to rant at the editorial types (DF please ignore this comment as you are the exception not the rule), at least acknowledge where you got the idea....

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

In other words it's all flash and no substance. Describes Hollywood to a "T".

Leave a comment:

• milkovich
    replied

Lou from Muscle cars is nuts and actually knows what he's talking about, I doubt they put him in the host seat because he's so pretty. ;)

The only issue i have with powerblock is that the formatting is kind of corny and PC to appeal to a big base when they pretty much own their demographic and don't have to overproduce everything to death.

Even if a reality show is about bikes or cars I don't watch them because... they're a reality show. How come "nothing" never happens in "reality" when there's a camera around and how much garbage can you tack weld to a catalog motorcycle frame.

I'll admit I watch the Barrett Jackson coverage to cry and drink myself to sleep. It's like seeing your first true love from highschool tarted up and working a corner downtown the way they whore those cars out to the hair plug set, athletes, and dot com kids. :'(

You can bag on these "corporate shill" shows but I don't see stuff like the "mad fabricators society" even on late night cable. The more extreme, elite, and pure the niche you cater too, the more microscopic your audience gets. At SEMA everyone follows Chip around like a rock star but you can walk right up to Gene Winfield and talk to him about his LSR car while the paint is still drying. Why? Because everyone wants to see '69 camaros with 18" wheels and 400 hours of wetsanding built in a week (nothing against camaros). We're the elite who want to watch grass roots mayhem (hobby stocks, land speed, bracket racing) etc. The sanctioning bodies own magazines are bragging about a 15k circulation... not exactly ready for prime time.

In my opinion the English "Junkyard Wars" was one of the all time best automotive fabrication shows but they ruined it when they "americanized" it with a mountain dew host and "generation X" camera angles.

Here are the problems I see with modern "auto content" tv:

1. Hollywood still thinks "format" matters while the most successful website in history is a big white page with a text field in the middle.

2. They think it's more important for the host to have a full head of hair and 4% body fat than scars on his knuckles and a beer fridge next to his tool box at home.

3. They don't think we can tell the difference.

4. Nothing is engineered or tested or runs in a sanctioning body where they might *Gasp!* not win.

5. According to the discovery channel, having 3/4s of your arms covered in tatoos means you know what you're doing. Guys with mullets who race $75,000 modifieds every week must not know anything about fabrication because they spend all their money on coil-overs and tires instead of chuck taylors and bryl creem (I'm not bagging on traditional guys, just hollywood.) Everything is image when it should be content.

6. The best shows on tv are always the worst for advertising. I can watch "This old House" and "New Yankee Workshop" for hours because they use the industry stuff that actually works...usually... not the latest and greatest. Potential advertisers aren't very fond of this kind of journalistic integrity.

my .02, <rantmode=off>

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

I get more enjoyment out of NOPIvision with the sound off. Same technique used when watching re-runs of Baywatch. Who really cares what they are saying?

Leave a comment:

• Tom P
    replied

C'mon guys... NOPIvision... you never know when you'll be shopping for a bikini and need to see how they fit. ;D

I like Pinks just 'cause it's about the only drag racing i ever see on TV here. (No ESPN here) I like Car Crazy, My Classic Car and Dream Car Garage or whatever that musclecar show is called now with Peter Klutt and i also think Stacy David does a good show.

Leave a comment:

• grancuda
    replied

Wrecks to Riches should be the section you go into on ebay when you go to Collector Car section, there are few builder cars and the majority are thrown together "Tribute" cars.

Does "Tool Time" count as a car show?

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Ah, I knew it was some show I watched occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• Rendid
    replied

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
    I don't watch too many of them because for what sounds like the same reasons already mentioned. I do like Overhaulin for the sake it returns a usually beat car to an unrusted usually more powerful version. Best episode I've seen was a rusted out '67-'68'? Buick GS400 Converterible. I think they hacked two or three other cars together to get that Convertible back to structural integrity. That is just Awesome. Weren't they the ones that put a DuraMax in a '65 Impala?

I enjoy a few episodes of Pimp my Ride just for the comedic value, though I've seen them ruin a few classics :-\
    Pimp my Ride built the diesel Impala.
    As stupid as the show is, they work on cars that you never see people build. The finished product usually sucks, but it's nice to see something different.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

I'll second the Top Gear. Funny how Physic's Scientists can't do a burn out with a manual tran, or who can make the best amphibious vehicle (check the ending out on YouTube :D).

Leave a comment:

• captjoe
    replied

Mechanically, Power Block, Dream Car Garage is pretty good but for sheer automotive entertainment, TopGear on BBC.

Leave a comment:

• 1968w427gte
    replied

I categorize Nascar programs as not automotive related. There's nothing there for a motorhead like me. Any of the shows where they actually work on the cars are better than ice skating. Favorite show is American Muscle Car.

How come there is no Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags coverage on the tube? That is the best event ever for muscle car freaks. All your favorite iron getting thrashed mercilessly all day long. Hemis. GTO's, Bosses, Superbirds, you name it. Somebody is gonna make a killing when they figure it out.

Flat screen in the garage with cable....................

Leave a comment:

• HEMI
    replied

I like the F-1 coverage,but wish that SPEED could get there own video feed.
    Also like the Monterey Classic races,and the Goodwood festival,but too much talking,want to hear the cars that I'll never own.
    I don't like the "scripted " shows like American Hot Rod,but what would be interisting about somebody grinding on a bracket on a true build -up show?I like the historic shows best.
    I think landspeed events should be covered more.The old AMERICAN HOT RODDER was a good show,but the host was allways wiping his hands with a rag,like he got really dirty reading a script.

Leave a comment:

• Nova_Guy
    replied

Stacey David is a treasure
    I really like his show also. I hate the Boyd drama show. The power block shows are Ok.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X