More Parts Counter Idiocy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Parts Counter Idiocy.....

So I called the local Murray's auto parts today looking for some lifters.....

Me: Hello, I am looking for some Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters for a small block chevy

Her: Um....Could you hold on a minute?

Me: Sure :

Her: Ok.....What year car is it?

Me: It is a 76 Corvette.....but it is a uniform part for older sbc's

Her: Is this lifter for the Hood or the trunk?

Me: Hahahahahahahaha........It is for the engine......You know they ride on the Camshaft. :P

Her: Oh........I was thinking of something else.

Me: Uh Huh....

Her: Alright I found them.....They are 3.99.

Me: For a set?

Her: Yep

Me: Of 16?

Her: No....For 4 of them

Me: Why would they sell 4 of them?

Her: I don't know......(yells to some other flunky....is this for 4?)

Other Flunky: No....Why would they sell them in 4's?

Her: Oh....That is for 1...

Me: Okay.....Do you have 16 of them?

Her: No

Me: How many do you have?

Her: None.

Me: Goodbye.

Unreal......How many cars do you know of that have hydraulic flat tappet lifters on the hood?

;D

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Re: More Parts Counter Idiocy.....

You should have said you need some Johnson lifters....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I need a thermostat for a 67 VW Beetle
      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

You should've told Her you were lookin' for some Red Rooster Pills... ;D :D. Counter folk:----they don't make 'em like they used to. ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

Believe it or not I had the opposite experience yesterday... at the local Murray's / O'Reileys...

I walked in with an old muffler, set it on the counter - and prepared myself for the idiocy that might follow....

A guy I'd seen there before but not worked with walks up ... wait for it ...

WITH A BOOK!

A BOOK!

He didn't even ask me what application it was - cause I'd already told him there'd be no finding it that way.

He opened the book, measured the muffler - the inlet and outlet diameters and matched one up - and it only took him a few minutes!

Simply amazing - there's still hope!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sounds like you got a winner that time Seth.
            Not trying to defend her, but you wouldn't believe what customers at the counter of auto parts stores will tell you (or not tell you) about the application and description. Sometimes you have to be Houdini to figure out what they even want, much less what they need.
            Always a toss up when you go ... may get the pro, the know-it-all or the looney !!
            :P

Comment

the pay at parts counters only attracts the slacker class
              or single moms

Comment

The girl at my local NAPA store is really quite good. Was leary of her at first, but have challenged her several times and so far no problems.
                Donna
                Williamston, MI
                Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  or single moms
                  There's the truth.

Everybody want's "discount" auto parts (or electronics, or hardware.....etc, etc...) How do you think they sell the stuff so cheap?

You offer crap pay, you get crap people. Used to be a time when retail was a viable career choice & people would spend their lives working in it. As time went on and their experience grew, you would end up with knowledgeable, experienced sales people who cared about the work they did & the customers they served..

Sadly, that time is long gone. And we have no right to complain about it as it was us who rushed to the big - box stores and discount houses in search of cheaper prices.

Comment

the techs are underpaid - the slackers are overpaid

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop
                      The girl at my local NAPA store is really quite good. Was leary of her at first, but have challenged her several times and so far no problems.
                      Same here, the gal at the local Kragen here really tries. If she can't find it or they don't have it, she will even call a competitor to see if they do.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

The girl at the NAPA close to where I get my hair cut is the sharpest person in the store or atleast the sharpest person without a huge chip on thier shoulders. I can deal with someone that knows they don't know it all and looks for stuff better than "That Guy" or the "what year is it" guy.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Went to the advance auto the other day. Wanted intake manifold gaskets for the ta. Lady asks what motor. 2.8 , 5.0 , or 5.7 . I say 5.7 and make some grutting noises like Tim Allen on Home Improvement. To which I get paid back with the sum of 45 bucks and a pic of every last gasket that touches the TPI . I told her that I just wanted the one between the heads and the lower intake. She says they don't sell them that way. I just look at her and am thinking surly they do, I just bought a set a week or to before from a guy there. Then I look at her and said, lets start over, lets say instead of a 87 ta is a 5.7 chevy truck. Got my gaskets and maybe tought her to think out of the box a little.

Comment

Try getting something, anything, for a Studebaker! Many of the parts are out there, even a your local parts store. Where you get them depends on the person behind the counter. One of the local NAPA stores will look the stuff up, as will one of the local Advance stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                              Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              or single moms
                              There's the truth.

Everybody want's "discount" auto parts (or electronics, or hardware.....etc, etc...) How do you think they sell the stuff so cheap?

You offer crap pay, you get crap people. Used to be a time when retail was a viable career choice & people would spend their lives working in it. As time went on and their experience grew, you would end up with knowledgeable, experienced sales people who cared about the work they did & the customers they served..

Sadly, that time is long gone. And we have no right to complain about it as it was us who rushed to the big - box stores and discount houses in search of cheaper prices.
                              ditto
                              people want gold service for rusting steel price

Comment

Working...
                              X