No announcement yet.

The road to Rockingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At AMP they told us if you put all four wheels off the track, come into the pits so we can check your car over for damage and then we'll send you back out. Well, I was going down the only little straightaway they have, such as it is. Dadgummit I'm on a race track, I wanna go 100 mph sometime today. So I did. And I ran straight into the sand pit at the end of the straightaway, right under the man in the flag stand. I managed to drive out of there and back onto the track and went to the pits, all the way down pit road to the flag stand. I pulled up and stopped and the guy was like....what? What do you want? Well so much for pulling back in I reckon. I guess that stuck in my mind, on the old mental hard drive.

First session on Sunday at The Rock. George's group had run before ours and he came in the garage and said, "One thing - there's no point of reference for where you enter the infield. It's kinda just there, nearly hard to see." He said that, and then I did it. First hot lap. I drove past the infield entrance. I did the same thing at the Bus Stop at Daytona the first hot lap but that was because I had been playing the iRacing game to get overly prepared and the braking zone markers on the game are not in the same place as they are on the real track. That's my excuse anyhow.

So, another inglorious beginning to a track weekend. This is what a black flag looks like when they are waving it at YOU. The real significance here is at 0:11, look at that pile of tires straight ahead. Look how far they are off the track. I've got one more video to put up after this one, look for those tires.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Sunday morning we were leaving the track to go get some more gas and we got to see this. The dash cam video lost some resolution when I put it on YouTube and it's harder to see than it is on the raw file. Watch the right edge of the screen. Tires went everywhere and some of them were rolling toward the track. Couldn't tell from our vantage point if any of them rolled all the way onto the track.

Comment

that Mustang must have been nearsighted and thought the tires were a crowd? (nope, that joke never gets old)
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          that Mustang must have been nearsighted and thought the tires were a crowd? (nope, that joke never gets old)
          Well, it's much deserved and it ain't a joke if you're in the crowd. Unless you're standing on the curb with your ball cap on backward hollering, "Hell YEAH!!!" while making a video of it and then you are the joke while they load what's left of you into the ambulance.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Well, it's much deserved and it ain't a joke if you're in the crowd. Unless you're standing on the curb with your ball cap on backward hollering, "Hell YEAH!!!" while making a video of it and then you are the joke while they load what's left of you into the ambulance.
            that's pretty vivid.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Found this in my YT feed just now, a better look at the tires episode.

Comment

I keep finding videos from our weekend at The Rock. Let's just say for an amateur event it was sure well covered from inside cars. We were standing outside the garage on Sunday watching the start of the Lightning race, a standing start. They said GO and a yellow car on the inside row about halfway back in the field went BACKWARD. I'd never seen anything like that before, it was amazing that the drivers behind it were able to miss it. Whatta moment to not be running my camera! But guess what, watch this. There it is.

Comment

Someone chickened out, I guess.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                    Someone chickened out, I guess.
                    Everybody blew past him and he went from reverse to 1st and took off. "Wait for ME, wait for ME!" I wonder if the other drivers cussed him out or horse laughed him after the race. I mean, I started a run at The Mile in Ohio with Red's parking brake on so... Man, that was something to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X