Superman Jr. - Kayak Wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman Jr. - Kayak Wizard

The Superman Clan got back home from Oklahoma City yesterday. They were there so Superman Jr. could paddle in the national kayak championship, slalom competition. We're real proud of him, he's our "son." Here he's showing Unit the photos that I took photos of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Unit and SM Jr.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1304382

He's been training super hard on the Ocoee River and at home. I'm home all day and I see him. What's he doing? He's running around the block 5 more times when it's 93 degrees outside. Again. With a fancy George Jetson watch that sends his cardio data to his coach a few hundred miles away. I get tired watching it all from across the street.

The championships were held at a manmade facility and the course is way some kind of calculated hard. Here's the course as they are turning the water on. There are a bunch of drops and lots of crazy eddies going on when it's running.

Name:	2 Course.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1304383

Part of the game is to get your head into it beforehand. I told SM Jr. he looks mad in this photo and he said no, he was thinking.

Name:	3 Thinking.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1304384

We watched some of the feeds from the competition on the computer. He did some really cool looking stuff getting through the gates. As long as your head goes through the gate and nothing hits the gate, it's scored a clean gate. Touching either of the gate poles with your head or body or paddle or boat is a 2 second penalty. Missing the gate entirely is a 50 second penalty (statistical death). You have to go through some gates downstream and some gates upstream, as indicated by red and green stripes on the poles.

Name:	4 Concentrate.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1304385

Typically kayak racers peak at around 25 years old. SM Jr. is 15 and he finished 11th overall in the national slalom championships. We happen to think that's impressive and amazing. Way to go young man!

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Way to go Junior!

Comment

GREAT.....
      I and My Son Shaun Entered a Local Canoe Rally years back.
      Now MOST Canoe Rallies are a Party On The River of Choice....I even had my Referee's Shirt on, and Whistle Lanyard.....
      "THAT'S HIGH STICKING !!" That's a 2 SHOT PENALTY !!, and Hand them a bottle of Yukon Jack !!

But in the Competition Class, ( Ya Know, the feather light composite jobs, and they are wearing bike rider's spandex) having to be up front....there was only a couple of conoes looking like competitors....

So, jokingly I told Shaun, let's enter, They let those out 5 minutes apart.....And if anything, we could do some NASCAR action, and Bunch the Field Up !!

Turns Out, We took 3rd Place !! In a Old Fiberglass Tank of a Canoe....
      Our placing was a turn back upstream, thru the "Old Locks" knowing that the Walls are Less Turbulence..

Comment

fantastic, and congratulations!
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's truly a skill of power, finesse, and timing. Well done, young man.
          Last edited by studemax; August 25, 2021, 06:50 AM.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Good Job! It's interesting how our kids (and in my case Grands and Great-Grands) do stuff we never could have and make it look natural.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Good Job! It's interesting how our kids (and in my case Grands and Great-Grands) do stuff we never could have and make it look natural.

Dan
              What amazes me on top of everything else is here's a totally great kid who wants to be completely involved in something that doesn't have his face glued to a phone. And the SM's are into it with him, running him back and forth to the river 1 or 2 hours each way multiple days per week. Jr.'s got his learner's permit but he hasn't been at it long enough to solo yet.

Comment

When I bragged on here about Jr's performance at the nationals I asked him later, how'd I do, did I get it all right when I bragged about you on BangShift? He grinned and said, "Most of it."

So I'll try to get most of it right again. There was a race over here on the river Saturday. It was something I'd compare to downhill skiing without the gates. Put your kayak in and GO, the fastest time all the way down the rapids wins. Jr. made two runs, once competing against folks in his age group and a separate run with his time scored against the adult men.

He took a little bit over 30 minutes to make each run. That was a pretty darned good time - he beat all the other kids, win. Oh, and he won the men's division too. I saw SM outside a little while ago and I asked him how many men did Jr. outrun. SM said 28.

Comment

He had to plan the best route through the whitewater course AND be able to execute it. The videos of his runs are awesome.

Comment

Wow!!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Good all over him! It's wonderful to be really good at something, especially at a young ago.

Dan

Comment

And I cannot even paddle a canoe on a glassy lake...
                        Well done.
                        I know it takes great skill to do what that youngster did.

Comment

Working...
                        X