No announcement yet.

Garage messy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was well known in our family that we're 50% English and 50% German. Then I had the DNA done...... Turns out we're about 67% English/Irish, about 30ish % German, and the rest a mix of Scandinavian along with a dash of Greek/Italian. So much for family "knowledge".

Dan

Comment

I’m 1/8 American Indian. No Cali Tribe.
      Cousins who are also 1/8 look Native
      me? Red beard and head (now whiteish)
      and look like a honky...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        It was well known in our family that we're 50% English and 50% German. Then I had the DNA done...... Turns out we're about 67% English/Irish, about 30ish % German, and the rest a mix of Scandinavian along with a dash of Greek/Italian. So much for family "knowledge".

Dan
        Wait a minute! I thought you were 50% English (stout), 50% German (Liebfraumilk), 50% Irish (Jaimeson's), and 45% Scotch (Glen Livett). Now you say you're also Greek (Uzo), and Italian (hey I knew there was something right about you: Chianti). That's like Allen Sherman's song Hungarian Goulash. Yeah you'll have to look it up on YouTube cuz I still don't know how to post things like that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76930.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	997.4 KB
ID:	1306712Click image for larger version  Name:	D5EA2ADE-5A30-49C6-8034-105263937FB7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.4 KB ID:	1306713

Actually making a little headway in the clutter department tonight. Cleaned out the hanging cabinets that were recently excavated and am now going through the cabinet under it. As luck would have it, one drawer is filled half organized electrical connectors. This one is going to take a bit.

the good news is after having my crap scattered over multiple locations covering two states for so long, getting everything in one place means I have a surplus of lots of stuff. I’m up to 7 cans of brake cleaner, 5 cans of PBlaster, and 3 cans of Sea Foam. Think that should hold me for a bit.
          Last edited by tedly; September 25, 2021, 06:21 PM.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76930.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	997.4 KB
ID:	1306712Click image for larger version Name:	D5EA2ADE-5A30-49C6-8034-105263937FB7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.4 KB ID:	1306713

Actually making a little headway in the clutter department tonight. Cleaned out the hanging cabinets that were recently excavated and am now going through the cabinet under it. As luck would have it, one drawer is filled half organized electrical connectors. This one is going to take a bit.

the good news is after having my crap scattered over multiple locations covering two states for so long, getting everything in one place means I have a surplus of lots of stuff. I’m up to 7 cans of brake cleaner, 5 cans of PBlaster, and 3 cans of Sea Foam. Think that should hold me for a bit.
            Tedly aka as the Martha Stewart of Bangshift.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Tedly aka as the Martha Stewart of Bangshift.
              Got to say, Tedly certainly is more organized than what most of the pictures show. I have one of those old steel kitchen cabinets, holding up my distributor machine, which is holding up shop clothes, which is holding up a box of shop towels, which is holding up...well anything else will end up on the floor if I tried.

So I have plans to reorganize before the snow flies, as I need the snowblower in the garage. The problem is that once started those projects tend to snowball (pun intended). I'm not going to throw stuff out just stack differently

Comment

One of my Rusty Iron Junkie Friend's came over for a beer before dinner tonight.
                ​​​​​​It was OK Ray, and the discussion got on to What I was going to have as the Winter Shop Project.......
                I laughed, I still have to finish the Timber Cruiser rust repairs, and the get the engine reassembled for the 66 F100 to even find the floor in the west stall.....
                And he was prodding me on Where was going to find room to put my pontoon boat to get the Camper in the lower barn to start on the "Remodel" of it.....
                And it just goes on and on like the Little Kids Party Game......Nobody Sits DOWN UNTIL THE MUSIC STOPS......LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  One of my Rusty Iron Junkie Friend's came over for a beer before dinner tonight.
                  ​​​​​​It was OK Ray, and the discussion got on to What I was going to have as the Winter Shop Project.......
                  I laughed, I still have to finish the Timber Cruiser rust repairs, and the get the engine reassembled for the 66 F100 to even find the floor in the west stall.....
                  And he was prodding me on Where was going to find room to put my pontoon boat to get the Camper in the lower barn to start on the "Remodel" of it.....
                  And it just goes on and on like the Little Kids Party Game......Nobody Sits DOWN UNTIL THE MUSIC STOPS......LOL
                  Did you play Tetris on your computer years ago when it was popular? That's what these types of efforts are...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Got to say, Tedly certainly is more organized than what most of the pictures show. I have one of those old steel kitchen cabinets, holding up my distributor machine, which is holding up shop clothes, which is holding up a box of shop towels, which is holding up...well anything else will end up on the floor if I tried.

So I have plans to reorganize before the snow flies, as I need the snowblower in the garage. The problem is that once started those projects tend to snowball (pun intended). I'm not going to throw stuff out just stack differently
                    Only been here for 2 months. Give me time.

Some of my stuff hasn’t seen the light of day since I had the shop, what, 7 years ago? Add in the fact that I have no clue what was there when we bought the place, and I figured I should take some time and inventory and organize as much as I can while I can.

In a 5 gallon bucket filled with what looked like scrap nuts and bolts, I found about a dozen small cylinder hones, all in their protective packaging. No idea what they’re for (beyond the obvious) and what they’re worth, but I’m guessing it’s a hell of a lot more than scrap price.

This is about the only shot I got at knowing what’s there.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

One thing runs thru all of the responses; we're all packrats. I'm still trying to get above 2 on the scale. Yesterday I pressure washed a bunch of short 4x4 blocks that will become the base for the neighbor's anvil, that is after I fix it a little bit. Also got some special welding rod for cast iron. Been a while since I repaired cast iron. So now I have to find something to pack it in on the cool down to help resist cracking. So fab up temporary something to heat it up in, which of course probably will end up staying in the garage.

Remember early on I said it is a sickness?

Comment

When I put Police Package brakes on our Magnum a while back I ended up with 2 pairs of front caliper mounting brackets. (the calipers came loaded w/brackets included)

So the extras hit the bench and were rapidly buried.

Last week I found them, still in the original Napa boxes. Took a chance and told the guys not to sweat it since its been so long, but if they could be restocked have at it. Our Napa is very old school and has almost zero employee turnover, the lowest guy on the totem pole has been there at least 8 years.

Yesterday they surprised me with a full refund from September of 2016. $48 to the slush fund!

I need to keep cleaning......
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have an idea! What if we have garage sweep and swap meets? Now to do this we'd probably have to set some rules, guide lines rather, such as a distance (100 miles appropriately), all fellow gearheads, and we agree to support each other in these efforts. First off the sponsor of the day does nothing more than point to the appropriate piles, save, sell, scrap, swap, etc (to be determined by committee ). The rest of us do the piling that day.

Second, the attendees have first dibs on the stuff hopefully being jettisoned. Bidding order tbd, democratically determined. Third we'd have to commit (or be committed? ) to finishing at least one go round for all involved. Obviously I have not fleshed out the entire process. We need lots of discussion to determine the details and drawbacks.

oh and before anyone points out the obvious, I already know that this will not reduce the stuff we have, only exchange mine for yours. But is that so bad? We all just have to agree to a story line for SWMBO in our lives and stick to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                            First off the sponsor of the day does nothing more than point to the appropriate piles, save, sell, scrap, swap, etc
                            Foul !!! That would infer that said sponsor has already pre-rummaged and sorted and arranged piles and that would in every way resemble setting at least some percentage of the area in order, which totally defeats the purpose of having a glorious jumble of whatever.
                            Last edited by pdub; October 3, 2021, 11:14 AM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Foul !!! That would infer that said sponsor has already pre-rummaged and sorted and arranged piles and that would in every way resemble setting at least some percentage of the area in order, which totally defeats the purpose of having a glorious jumble of whatever.

my man speaks truth....

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Not true. He only has to designate the areas for those categories. We will police it by whomever is a close friend (in both senses of the word) being responsible to the rest of us checking in on him once committed (which by the way I think that I should be...). Of course that is my suggestion. I bet we'll have lots of variations before it ever has a chance of backfiring

And like I said, it's really only a chance for swapping stuff between us. No one will ever willingly reduce our stash. That's sacrilege!

Anyway it's fun to ponder weak and weary, on an evening dark and dreary... oh crap Poe again

Comment

Working...
                                X