Garage messy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Some of you old timers may recognize that I've been rather scarce on these forums the last few years.
    The largest reason for that is that the real estate market finally recovered enough from the crash of 2008 that the rental property where my shop has been since 2002 - where the falcon and countless other projects were worked on - and untold tons of parts where accumulated..... it made sense to fix it up and sell.
    Since there seem to be no more reasonable priced reasonably skilled and somewhat reliable contractors left to hire around here - I ended up doing the lion's share of the home renovations myself - complete remodel of the basement bathroom (for $3500 a contractor did the shower, but I ended up redoing most of his ceiling drywall work) I painted the basement ceiling and floors, had the hardwood floors refinished - repainted the kitchen cabinets, new flooring in the kitchen, upstairs bath, and stairs to the basement, lots of painting throughout the house. New kitchen sink, faucet, dishwasher, cut a cabinet down and mounted a microwave under it after moving the 220 electric to relocate the stove to a wall that didn't have a pocket door behind it...... you get the idea.
    outside I pressure washed the place, did some painting and cleaned out the garage and yard.
    The pole barn is quite likely the cheapest built unit I've ever seen -- according to the neighbor it was constructed in a weekend - while they were out of town, and it was clearly in violation of setback rules - but somehow it got grandfathered. 30x50x12 wickes lumber yard building with the trusses 10ft on center.
    It took months to clear the place out a pick up load at a time - many loads to scrap, many loads to the dump...
    So - for the first time in nearly 20 years, I have all my stuff at one address - and the number of duplicates has been shocking - and I'm still finding more.
    The "new" shop is 30x40x9 with a 28x36x12 added on - and through an interesting turn of events (too long for even my longwindedself to type) I have two two post hoists in the addition, and there's a 4 post mobile drive on hoist sitting on the approach waiting for me to get the 9ft side cleaned out enough to stack two cars in there for the winter.
    I built a loft 28ft wide 10ft deep with 7ft ceiling height under it. I built several 2ft x 8ft shelves that are arranged like library shelves - with about 3ft between rows of shelves.... So far I've got the storage loft about 75% full and somewhat organized by vehicle project, or by engine/powertrain type. I have more SBF distributors and intakes than I remembered, and several more carburetors than I remembered.
    I'm going to try to consolidate into three toolboxes and sell one that doesn't have roller slides.
    I got a bunch of 2 drawer 3ft wide legal size filing cabinets I've put along one wall that I hope to use to store larger stuff - like circular saws, routers, tile saws, sawzall, paint guns, etc. to keep them accessible but hidden and protected from sawdust grinding dust welding spatter paint overspray, etc.
    I have two different sets of pallet racks - already rapidly being filled, but again - trying to somewhat organize their contents by shelf at least. I have one shelf almost full of iron cylinder heads.
    After all that - yup - it's a sickness - but - I'm bound and determined to get the inside of the shop finished and not purchase any materials I don't absolutely have to. The theme is "leftovers garage" Many shelves have been built with countertops I removed during remodels. The interior walls are covered with osb left over from the gable end of the shop addition I didn't want or need or pay for, but the lumber yard delivered anyway. Under the storage loft the walls are being lined with white corrugated metal that I had purchased years ago and didn't use in the old barn. All the light fixtures I've converted to LED tubes - most of which I bought as office building take outs by the pallet load.
    Lot's still to do - but for now - it's mostly functional - I still have to run compressed air plumbing and a few more electrical circuits - I have to get the white metal on the walls first before I can run the conduit and unistrut to hang the compressed air lines from.
    ONE PIECE AT A TIME
    You need to make a sign for your garage "The Leftover Garage". Under that Est. whatever year you actually finish it, and under that your name, Proprietor or Chief Mess Maker, whatever strikes you as appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      . 30x50x12 wickes lumber yard building with the trusses 10ft on center.
      That got a big ole cringe from me. Yikes.

I just took a chance on a NorthernTool 8' ceiling fan for the nice barn. Upon opening the box and assembling it I found that a standard electrical ceiling box ain't gonna cut it. Unfortunately that means a trip or 3 into the ceiling trusses to add serious blocking. Will need to bring the leaf rake along, there is already 20" of blown-in insulation up there. At least the trusses are 4' OC with a 2x4 rat run between them. And the box is 3/4 of the total building length away from the access hole.

Glad to hear all is at one location. MAJOR WIN!
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I've been in John's shop. Very nice indeed though it was less organized then than it sounds like it is now. Dave - you can see John's place off I-94 on the way to the airport.

Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77043.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1307399Click image for larger version  Name:	under loft window.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	1307396
          Click image for larger version  Name:	loft storage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	1307397

That got a big ole cringe from me. Yikes.

I just took a chance on a NorthernTool 8' ceiling fan for the nice barn. Upon opening the box and assembling it I found that a standard electrical ceiling box ain't gonna cut it. Unfortunately that means a trip or 3 into the ceiling trusses to add serious blocking. Will need to bring the leaf rake along, there is already 20" of blown-in insulation up there. At least the trusses are 4' OC with a 2x4 rat run between them. And the box is 3/4 of the total building length away from the access hole.

Glad to hear all is at one location. MAJOR WIN!
          [/QUOTE]

Interesting you mention ceiling fans - I have recently put up two in the new part of the shop - it has scissor trusses 2ft on center, I used a typical J box with the long lag screws through the fan mount directly into the truss. I had two identical ceiling fans I'd picked up at a builders auction years ago and never used. Put them both up and it made a huge difference in comfort during the high heat and humidity evenings this summer - then, inexplicably, one of the two identical fans just quit... went up the ladder to check on it and it was humming and hot to the touch. Down it came and into the scrap bin it went. Replaced it with one that is rated for indoor/outdoor use, so now they don't match, but they both work! The best part of the new one is that someone finally figured out a way to speed up the blade installation - they slide and lock into place on three screws in the arms connected to the motor, instead of having to thread those screws in, 3 per blade, then flip them over and install the two blade to motor screws, all over your head.

I have not yet run the unistrut and black pipe for natural gas, compressed air, and an additional electrical conduit or three into the new part of the shop. Gotta finish putting the white metal on the walls first.
          Last edited by milner351; October 7, 2021, 12:12 PM.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Name:	D7AA826D-F967-4393-B497-37F94565FF20.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1307444 Managed to hollow out another section by the back wall, now I can put at least one of my toolboxes in it’s semi permanent temporary home. Hoping to clear out the corner before work, but I may be optimistic.

it’s supposed to rain tomorrow, and I have 2 cars desperately needing attention. If I can clear enough room to shift the main pile and fit a car at least halfway in I’ll be freaking ecstatic.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Name:	A64051BB-2DA2-4297-AD3B-07E834543792.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1307448 Didn’t quite make it to the corner, but progress has been made.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post

Name:	A64051BB-2DA2-4297-AD3B-07E834543792.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1307448 Didn’t quite make it to the corner, but progress has been made.
                Someone has long legs to be able to sit in the porch swing.

I haven't used oneof those old Lincoln welders since the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Someone has long legs to be able to sit in the porch swing.

I haven't used oneof those old Lincoln welders since the 70's.
                  As far as I know it still works. Haven’t had the balls to try it yet, the insulation on the cables is dry rotted pretty bad. Going to replace them so I don’t end up looking like a Loony Toons cartoon skit the first time I fire it up. Apparently it’s a powerful one, and I can’t wait to start playing with it.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                    Didn’t quite make it to the corner, but progress has been made.
                    Tedly I'm sure you didn't intend to invent a visual puzzle game but I spent about 10 minutes earlier today studying those two photos. Lemme see, the toolbox moved, all the stuff disappeared off of the white floor shelf, the wall shelf disappeared, the short stepladder went somewhere and I smoke Camel Blues too. Thanks for the fun!
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

Tedly I'm sure you didn't intend to invent a visual puzzle game but I spent about 10 minutes earlier today studying those two photos. Lemme see, the toolbox moved, all the stuff disappeared off of the white floor shelf, the wall shelf disappeared, the short stepladder went somewhere and I smoke Camel Blues too. Thanks for the fun!
                      I've never smoked, but upon a second perusal like pdub, I noticed an older Miller front crank welder on the bench. I used a borrowed one just like that for a couple of years during my dirt track days. You really should get an urban archeologist in to do a "dig". I'm just saying..

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

Glad I could provide some entertainment for you.

Pulled about a dozen nails out of the studs after clearing out the stuff hanging on the wall and swept up a bunch of dirt and random crap after removing all the metal I could from the floor as well.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I've never smoked, but upon a second perusal like pdub, I noticed an older Miller front crank welder on the bench. I used a borrowed one just like that for a couple of years during my dirt track days. You really should get an urban archeologist in to do a "dig". I'm just saying..
                          I had it backwards, the power cord on the Lincoln is dry rotted but the leads are fine. The leads on the Miller are the ones where the insulation looks like Swiss cheese.

On my phone right now and can’t resize pictures, but I’ll try to get some up tonight.
                          Last edited by tedly; October 9, 2021, 09:36 AM.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

• I'm still a nobody on the stuff scale, but I did try yesterday. I picked up some aluminum diamond plate from Metal Supermarkets for the widened parts of the trailer yesterday and raided their drop rack for miscellaneous steel. I added 80 pounds of various types of steel stuff to the stash.

Okay so not terribly impressive, but small steps...

Oh come on, it's the best I got

Comment

• Baby steps, Grasshopper.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                Baby steps, Grasshopper.

Dan
                                Do I get a gold star for participation? Silver? Anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X