• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77065.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1307524Click image for larger version  Name:	D3F44F34-B461-4707-BB08-40B3F5A5C21A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,012.7 KB ID:	1307522Click image for larger version  Name:	B60659A3-0857-4C03-BADB-21F8EBC947CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1307523

I think I’m done for today.
    ​​​​​​​
    Last edited by tedly; October 9, 2021, 09:26 PM.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by tedly View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77065.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1307524Click image for larger version Name:	D3F44F34-B461-4707-BB08-40B3F5A5C21A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,012.7 KB ID:	1307522Click image for larger version Name:	B60659A3-0857-4C03-BADB-21F8EBC947CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1307523

I think I’m done for today.
      ​​​​​​​
      It's looking better

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

It's looking better
        dave, you've got to make up your mind some kinda how. You've been trying and begging to move up the stuff scale with your pile but now you say tedly's pile is "looking better." I'm confused, I thought you'd come in with tedly's smaller pile looking "worse."
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by tedly View Post
          [ATTACH=JSON]

I think I'm done for today.
          Um, this picture looks the same as one you posted 10 years ago..... what's different?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Um, this picture looks the same as one you posted 10 years ago..... what's different?
            Hey, I spent a lot of time rearranging those piles!!!
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

dave, you've got to make up your mind some kinda how. You've been trying and begging to move up the stuff scale with your pile but now you say tedly's pile is "looking better." I'm confused, I thought you'd come in with tedly's smaller pile looking "worse."
              Yeah that's what I mean, kind of, sort of, maybe... That's my story and I'm sticking to it, maybe or maybe not. See I'm confused now. But what did you expect from an engineer Especially one that spent time employed by federal and state governments...

But I'm much better now

Comment

• And also and because of, I'll get back to you when I have a definitive answer to the question and can say with some uncertainty about the topic that I can compensate for the results and proceed to a response that is definitive and concise.

In other words

Comment

• all i can say is some of y'alls would be better off burning
                  the property and collecting the insurance to start over...

i may or may not be including myself in that group.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	FC297BCB-EF47-466F-B87E-F6BE06CF21DD.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	922.8 KB
ID:	1307552 For the first time since we bought the place, I can fit half a car in the garage!!!

I'm probably wrong

Comment

• That is impressive progress!

The attached garage is a dangerous place - it's the ultimate catch all.

My wife has put up with a great deal of vehicle turn over in our years together - she made one thing very clear - she WILL park inside the attached garage for the winter - period, end of discussion. I've managed to make that happen.

having gotten everything in one place for the first time in 20 years, and combining barns, I'm still parking a few old cars outside while the weather is good while I all too slowly process all the stuff that is in the barn and try to find a way to organize, and put away, all this stuff.

Through the entire process - she's been able to park inside the attached garage..... even though it too is in dire need of a "total cleansing"

all in time..... one piece at a time.

I'm trying to tell myself that each step of putting things away is a good step - the step I'm trying NOT to take - is moving stuff several times before it finds a "home"
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• ME understands that the large building out back is a "shop" not a "garage" and that she sacrificed her "garage" stall for her music studio which occupies the spot formerly known as the attached garage. She's content with the tradeoff. The weather here is such that indoor parking isn't really needed though sometimes it might be nice.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          That is impressive progress!

The attached garage is a dangerous place - it's the ultimate catch all.

My wife has put up with a great deal of vehicle turn over in our years together - she made one thing very clear - she WILL park inside the attached garage for the winter - period, end of discussion. I've managed to make that happen.

having gotten everything in one place for the first time in 20 years, and combining barns, I'm still parking a few old cars outside while the weather is good while I all too slowly process all the stuff that is in the barn and try to find a way to organize, and put away, all this stuff.

Through the entire process - she's been able to park inside the attached garage..... even though it too is in dire need of a "total cleansing"

all in time..... one piece at a time.

I'm trying to tell myself that each step of putting things away is a good step - the step I'm trying NOT to take - is moving stuff several times before it finds a "home"
                          I have my wife's Jeep in the shop, her indoor parking is now storage for the Corvette.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The attached garage is half storage, half work area for Keni’s business. That’s one of the next big projects. This winter her car will be parked in the garage, but by next winter we’re hoping to have a carport put up so my garage can be my garage.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

• So somewhere along the way I mentioned that I have my neighbor's anvil in the garage adding to my under achieving garage, and it was broken. Some more of the story.

Bob's (that's the neighbor) father and uncle found the anvil while out hiking when they were late teens early 20s in age. Now Bob is only 6 or 8 years younger than me, and he wasn't even a gleam in his father's eye when the anvil was found. As he tells it, they found it in an abandoned railroad or mining camp repair shop. And being young and foolish, decided to carry it home. He said he and his brother used to bang things on it as kids, and that as far as he remembers, it was always broken.

Now it's not as bad as you all may imagine. It was only one of the feet/legs, whatever you want to call them on the bottom. Probably got broken by being dropped on the one missing part. Me being slightly crazy/anal/foolish, decided to replace the broken off part. I went to the welding supply and bought modern nirod, and started planning out the procedure I was going to have to do to get it done.

You know, clean up the rusted area, preheat and postheat, controlled cooldown, what materials to make the part out of... Then today I started for real by hitting the anvil with a grinder to start preparing for the repair. To my surprise, it didn't grind like cast iron, as I expected. I proceeded to hit some mild steel with the grinder and got the same sparks. Going to the scrap...er that is the alternate materials storage space (otherwise called the s rap pile behind the shed), I hit some cast iron components and got a different spark, as we all know what we get when grinding on cast iron.

So a little bit more effort, and I started to realize that the anvil is at the worst cast steel, and at the best a really old high quality forged anvil. Yes there is such a thing, and still available if you want the best anvil in the world. New ones are still available from Germany for more money than many of us spend on our project cars.

So I decided to see if it would weld essentially cold, using the high nickel rod. So after making 3 chunks of steel that when combined and welded and ground would look like the missing chunk of anvil, I started welding, little bit at a time. Got the first chonk on, let it completely cool, and said to myself self I said I have to test it to see if it's a good weld. Whacked it with a 3 pound hammer and got a satisfying ring, not a thud, not a clunk, and it didn't crack.

So I spent most of the day welding grinding fitting whacking and fussing with the anvil. It looks good, it didn't crack upon cooling, and now the anvil is whole again

So it doesn't answer the riddle about someone being so dumb that they could break an anvil, but it does prove I'm smart enough to repair a broken anvil

But no, I didn't get the garage neater or add to the volume of stuff, so I'm still at the bottom of the scale... Oh well!

Comment

• So this just happened...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tadaa.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	1307675
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X