Clear All

• Originally posted by tedly View Post
    So this just happened...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tadaa.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	1307675
    It looks like you can get a running vehicle in the garage ! Nice job!

Comment

• Yep, still a disaster area, but slightly more organized and able to fit the Suburban with plenty of room to spare. Now I can get the control arm, tie rods, wheel bearing, and CV axle done.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

So this just happened...

That's impressive.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

So this just happened...

Those sheets of plywood/OSB or whatever it is could be screwed to the bottom of the rafters. I've had some that I didn't want to make holes in so I used several cleats and had the cleats hold them up. A ceiling 'till you need them and they're out of the way. Just a thought......

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Those sheets of plywood/OSB or whatever it is could be screwed to the bottom of the rafters. I've had some that I didn't want to make holes in so I used several cleats and had the cleats hold them up. A ceiling 'till you need them and they're out of the way. Just a thought......

Dan
            I slid them up on top of the rafters. Great minds think alike.

Edit: The ones you see in the pic are a portable 8’x2’ workbench I plop down on sawhorses when I need it so I like to keep it handy, and doors for the cabinet that is filled with random nuts and bolts. All the plywood and dimensional lumber more than 2’ long are stored in the rafters. Cleaning, sorting, and organizing all the stuff up there is a project for another day.
            Last edited by tedly; October 13, 2021, 10:57 AM.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Call me a poser. I couldn't take it anymore! I had to clean up the mess in my garage after finishing up the anvil.

Name:	DSCN1262.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1307728Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1263.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	1307729
              The first picture is what it cleaned up to. The second picture needs to be rotated (sorry I'm still computer illiterate), but that's the corner that was recreated. After cleaning it up, I found forging seams, about my thumb width on the bottom, and some numbers and letters stamped in on one side. Somewhat obliterated, but it had Wri.... Then Patented..... That was near the top. Near the bottom was a date, which appears to be the date it was either made or first put into use. 12 something obliterated 12.

So after all the welding and grinding, the garage was a filthy mess. So I cleaned and rearranged the garage. I know, I loose all garage cred. You're all so much better messers than I. But maybe my shed gets me an honorable mention??? It's next to impossible to get to the back.

Comment

• a guy could bend some serious metal around that anvil! Nice Save!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                  Call me a poser. I couldn't take it anymore! I had to clean up the mess in my garage after finishing up the anvil.

Name:	DSCN1262.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1307728Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1263.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	1307729
                  The first picture is what it cleaned up to. The second picture needs to be rotated (sorry I'm still computer illiterate), but that's the corner that was recreated. After cleaning it up, I found forging seams, about my thumb width on the bottom, and some numbers and letters stamped in on one side. Somewhat obliterated, but it had Wri.... Then Patented..... That was near the top. Near the bottom was a date, which appears to be the date it was either made or first put into use. 12 something obliterated 12.

So after all the welding and grinding, the garage was a filthy mess. So I cleaned and rearranged the garage. I know, I loose all garage cred. You're all so much better messers than I. But maybe my shed gets me an honorable mention??? It's next to impossible to get to the back.
                  you polished your anvil? oh my.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    a guy could bend some serious metal around that anvil! Nice Save!
                    The neighbor did some digging on the internet today. It turns out that the anvil is a Peter Wright anvil. Probably turn of the last century. 124 pound, and made from wrought iron, which is a 19th century version of mild steel, hence the reason why I was able to weld on it so easily. The size was considered to be good for 1 man to be able to easily move it around. The numbers at the bottom of the anvil indicates what the weight of the anvil is. Today's efforts are to fabricate the hold down system so it doesn't jump around when beating and banging on it.

As an aside, the base is 12 chunks of 4x4 on end, screwed together with leftovers from the shed, 9-inch long modern lag screws. Once all done it will occupy a corner of the garage.

Comment

• Well I'm further degrading my messy garage standings. Bought more bolt and hardware storage bins today. Went looking for some bolts that I know I have yesterday but never found them. Said to myself self I said, I can't stand it not being able to find what I'm looking for. So this gets me sidetracked from the trailer, which is holding up the Whatever project again, and also a couple of honey do projects that really need to get done.

Oh and making sure that the Equinox and the snowblower fit inside the garage before it snows. And yes it's coming, winter! And to think, when this thread started, it was just to complain about the mess on the benches...

Comment

• And to further degrade my standing, I'm rearranging all the stuff in the garage and shed. Right now if I were to not do another thing, well I'd be up to a 4, maybe 5 on our Mess-O-Meter scale of 1 to 11. But that's only because I have pulled most of the stuff on 2 floor to ceiling shelving units off, and have been sorting and trashing stuff.

What you all do not know is that 3 years ago when we had this new house built and moved in, I had a plan to NOT store anything in the basement. And I have stuck to the plan, mostly. We do have our tp and paper towel hoard down there. And Christmas decorations. But that's it. Well there are a few parts and hand tools, but they are vintage... so that doesn't count. And there's leftover furniture down there, my desk, a dining room table and chairs, a couple of antique corner cupboards, my drafting table, and a few extra chairs. But that's it. And I intend to make a man cave down there, so I have my table saw, and compound miter saw in the basement. But really I'm sticking to the plan.

So next its moving 3 storage racks into the shed and put all of the stuff down there but in much better order.

Maybe I'll get back to the workbenchs and the Whatever project.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	73C00D8B-DBCA-418A-86DF-53ED21CDDA48.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1307836 My Martha Stewart days are on hiatus for a bit. Time to add to the mess!
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Name:	73C00D8B-DBCA-418A-86DF-53ED21CDDA48.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1307836 My Martha Stewart days are on hiatus for a bit. Time to add to the mess!
                            Now that's what I'm talking about. That's a fine looking mess...

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

you polished your anvil? oh my.
                              It's a skill learned employed by federal and state governments, polishing a turd!
                              Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; October 15, 2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• I'm going to have to turn in my MGAA (messy garage addicts association) membership card now. I did something entirely against the chatrter. I cleaned, reorganized and rearranged the garage and the shed. It's amazing how much room I have for the stuff when it's organized and sorted by project type or car.

Name:	DSCN1268.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1307910Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1270.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1307911Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1269.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1307913Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1267.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1307914Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1272.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1307915Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1271.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1307912
                                The 2nd picture is the after of what was a floor to ceiling 2 shelving unit mess. Pulled everything off, took down 2 1/2 of the 3 units (I stacked them 11/2 units) so far, reassembled 2 in the shed after rearranging it, and moved tons of stuff into the shed. I'll get pictures of the shed later, right now it's NASCAR time.

Comment

Working...
                                X