Our Vacation Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Vacation Videos

We Wees went for a long time thinking we may never find our way out of town again, but we were finally able to do it. We just got back from a road trip to the Grand Canyon. We were tourists. We bought T-shirts and fridge magnets and hoarded pamphlets. We shot nearly 3 hours of video 30 seconds at a time. It was great. I turned around in the middle of the road in a national park. I blocked traffic downtown gawking and made wrong turns regardless of what the GPS was saying out loud. We did all the tourist things.

It was the Tour of Great Big Holes. We did the canyon in Texas, the Meteor Crater, the Grand Canyon and the road going down to Sedona. Bluebelle ran like a land speed record holder on the interstate at over 7000 feet burning that left coast 88 octane gas. We used the GoPro and the GoPro makes beeps to tell you what it's doing and Unit can't hear the beeps so she made a lot of video clips of her leg and the floorboard of the car when she didn't know she'd pushed the button. Wow it was fun.

I made a video of the Studebaker sitting in the Petrified Forest National Park but I've already posted better photos of it on Pic of the Day. Here's a couple of my favorite clips from the trip that don't have a dang thing to do with a car. Bear with me friends, we're still silly from our road trip of a lifetime.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

We were right there so we couldn't resist. Yep, we did it.

Comment

Glad you are back and had a good time. I did the whole Southwest thing a couple times back in the 80's and 90's. Took a bunch of pictures. I have photos of the Grand Canyon the morning after it snowed all night. You need to go back and hit Monument Valley and Chaco Canyon for the rest of the big stuff. There is lots of little stuff.
      What really pissed me off? It was cheaper to get into the Grand Canyon than it was Meteor Crater - which is a much smaller hole in the ground.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        It was cheaper to get into the Grand Canyon than it was Meteor Crater - which is a much smaller hole in the ground.
        ^^^^ Yep, truer words were never typed on a screen.

I had taken an ECTA hat I bought at the track in Arkansas. I had never worn it or paid it much attention but it's a winter cap, as hot as a toboggan with a bill on it. And it's a dry heat in Arizona ya know. But I wasn't about to pay $45 for a Meteor Crater ball cap. We're on vacation, just blow it, but no - it's the principle of the thing. I ain't payin' $45 for a ball cap. So I waited and bought a Grand Canyon Railway hat for $25. Win. It'll be my Sunday Go to Meeting hat from now on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020150.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1306184

Comment

Did you spend any time in Phoenix? I went there in winter, too. Still got to 90 in the shade in January. They have some great museums around there.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            Did you spend any time in Phoenix?
            Didn't get to Phoenix. We ran I-40 to Williams and got on the train to the canyon for the guided bus tour. It was fun watching all the unprepared tourists driving around the train station at the canyon knowing they were never going to find anywhere to park. They can go home saying they were "at" the canyon but they never saw it. I don't know about the rest of the canyon but on the south rim it looks like the buses have a corner on all the overlooks, a private road with a swing arm that the bus activates. You can ride a tour bus like we did or get on any of the shuttles they have running but first you have to get your feet on the ground and it's a real popular spot.

Comment

We were in Winslow earlier this year standing next to statues, also enjoyed south rim of canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post
                We were in Winslow earlier this year standing next to statues...
                We never even found the statues, we musta didn't look too awful hard cause it ain't that big of a place. Then I saw it - Winslow Street. What could be better? So we parked between some rollout garbage cans and got out. It must happen a lot because both people who came by didn't give us a second glance, just more stupid tourists with a selfie stick.

Comment

Did the outlaws hold up your train on the way back??
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Did the outlaws hold up your train on the way back??
                    They sure did, at exactly 5:00. That Cataract Gang is bad news. Between them and the guitar strumming crooners I ran out of tip dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

They sure did, at exactly 5:00. That Cataract Gang is bad news. Between them and the guitar strumming crooners I ran out of tip dollars.
                      We did the train too. It was great fun! ME played the Grand Canyon and I have pics somewhere to prove it. We stayed overnite at the canyon and the power went out (evidently a common event) so ME broke out her violin and entertained the other folks near us in the building. All in all a great time.

Great that you two had a fun time! We think we have one more Western trip in us and have Vanna all readied for the trip but decided to wait 'till Spring given the wild fires. We'll head up to Oregon to see a cousin then probably down to Sacramento to see a daughter and who knows where else.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

We did the train too. It was great fun! ME played the Grand Canyon and I have pics somewhere to prove it. We stayed overnite at the canyon and the power went out (evidently a common event) so ME broke out her violin and entertained the other folks near us in the building. All in all a great time.

Great that you two had a fun time! We think we have one more Western trip in us and have Vanna all readied for the trip but decided to wait 'till Spring given the wild fires. We'll head up to Oregon to see a cousin then probably down to Sacramento to see a daughter and who knows where else.

Dan
                        hmmm.... the fires weren't that big of deal this year....

I've been to that same bar in Arkansas.... didn't realize it was a tourist attraction...
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

We never even found the statues, we musta didn't look too awful hard cause it ain't that big of a place. Then I saw it - Winslow Street. What could be better? So we parked between some rollout garbage cans and got out. It must happen a lot because both people who came by didn't give us a second glance, just more stupid tourists with a selfie stick.
                          Wish I knew how to upload pics, have pic of wife standing next to him and his guitar.

Comment

Glad you had a HOOT !!
                            somewhere in 2009-10 took in the Grand Canyon, Yes Parking SUCKS !! Almost missed the Train !! Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2463.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	723.9 KB
ID:	1306217

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post

Wish I knew how to upload pics, have pic of wife standing next to him and his guitar.
                              Hit the paper clip, you may have to hit it twice to light up "Upload Attachments" down below the text area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BS Screen.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1306219

Hit Upload Attachments and surf to your file. When the photo is shown below the text area make sure your cursor is planted where you want the photo to go and select a size for it (full size, etc.). Boom.

Comment

Working...
                              X