Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So anyone else notice Hot Rod getting thinner and thinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So anyone else notice Hot Rod getting thinner and thinner?

Just got the latest edition of Hot Rod Magazine, and is it ever thin! Remember when HR, Street Rodder, and R&C were in the triple digits for pages?

How long before HR goes off to that big junkyard in the ethernet of publishing?

Back in the 90s I subscribed to 24 give or take automotive magazines, I now get 2, HR and Speedway Illustrated. Oh well I'm getting used to reading on a tablet. Probably the future for us all...

I have noticed this as well! I amalso down to two mags now, HotRod and Hemmings Muscle Machines. Don't know how much longer for HotRod!?
    Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
    Gregg and Deb Miller
    Verona, Wi.

Comment

Grassroots Motorsports is still a full magazine.... just sayin'

HRM jumped the shark tank with what they did to Project X. They're dead to me.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 6, 2021, 05:07 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Grassroots Motorsports is still a full magazine.... just sayin'

HRM jumped the shark tank with what they did to Project X. They're dead to me.
        I get GRM off the newsstand occasionally. Mostly for the adds. Call me crazy, but that's one thing I never objected to in magazines. It was a good way to find new bits and bobs for a project. Oh well, now just Google it, and hope they don't put just their best paying advertisers in your search results.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I get GRM off the newsstand occasionally. Mostly for the adds. Call me crazy, but that's one thing I never objected to in magazines. It was a good way to find new bits and bobs for a project. Oh well, now just Google it, and hope they don't put just their best paying advertisers in your search results.
          HRM is on the race to the bottom, even in advertisers - GRM (and others) are taking the tact that people will pay for premium content, heck I have one, quarterly subscription that costs nearly $100/year but it's like buying a coffee table book in its quality....

Comment

I dropped my subscription a couple years ago. I could read all the interesting stuff in an hour. The rest was ho-hum.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

20 minutes. People with baby-soft cubicle hands typing about some guys' search for what shop should do the work on his dream car for him. I'm hesitant to drop it as the last two mags I unsubscribed to disappeared altogether within months, and I don't want it to be my fault.

Comment

What frosts my chaps is having the magazine disappear when I have a 2 year subscription, and get offered a year of web content. To Motortrend on line. A refund should be offered, otherwise it's just a scam to take the money and run.

Rant over, I'm much better now

Comment

It's chock full of part ads and check book builds I can't afford.
                  The last true Hot Rod article they featured was the guy with the 1 car garage in PA.

After that article they went full blown wienie high end shop builds for rich folks.
                  They've lost touch with the average Joe. I'm not renewing my subscription..

Comment

In 2019 my Hot Rod, and various other mags stopped, my supplier in the UK was forced out of business by Covid, magazine shipments were all
                    cancelled.
                    I paid for a five year subscription through the Hot Rod website, my UK supplier told me later they were not honoring foreign orders,
                    take the money but no magazines.
                    To cap that I gave away my collection of magazines apart from a few I felt were special.
                    Hot Rod online which takes in all the now defunct mags, Car Craft etc. is only viewable outside north America if I change my VPN
                    to an American based one.
                    Motor Trend has done the same, no website, no Roadkill and all the others.
                    I got the remainder of my Motor Trend On Demand subscription back only because I sent a message via PayPal.
                    Contacting Motor Trend by email they said European law was preventing them from being available, but I hear complaints from all over the world on Roadkill / facebook.
                    Motor Trend sends me ads for T shirts, but they don´t ship outside the US

What's up America, going isolationist ?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                      Just got the latest edition of Hot Rod Magazine, and is it ever thin! Remember when HR, Street Rodder, and R&C were in the triple digits for pages?

How long before HR goes off to that big junkyard in the ethernet of publishing?

Back in the 90s I subscribed to 24 give or take automotive magazines, I now get 2, HR and Speedway Illustrated. Oh well I'm getting used to reading on a tablet. Probably the future for us all...

D. Freiburger announced he is jumping ship, maybe he´s seen the writing on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post

D. Freiburger announced he is jumping ship, maybe he´s seen the writing on the wall.
                        he's just doing the TV thing.... now that MTOD is on cable, I can't imagine that reduced his commitments to that baby.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post

What's up America, going isolationist ?
                          uh, no. That said, given the EU's penchant for suing American companies (Google, Microsoft Facebook, GM, Ford, and on and on) eventually it just gets too expensive to do business.... need a good example? Australia's law about copyright..... even my church pulled out of broadcasting there....

Comment

I subscribed to Hot Rod for years , I unsubscribed a couple of years ago . It had been going down hill for awhile , didn't interest me anymore .

Comment

I've taken HRM since the '70s and continue to out of habit. Gives me something to read in the "library" as I do other important functions. However, the handwriting is clearly on the wall for print media so I know that sooner or later I'll have to read my phone in the john.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X