RV for race pulling duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV for race pulling duty

So I've travelled all over in mine and my parent's various motorhomes.

Never, actually, camped at a race track. Also the most I've towed is a jet boat....

So, what advice would you give to someone who is done with motels? my plan is a class A that is nice enough that my wife will camp in it - otherwise, it'd be something from the 70s that keeps some rain out...

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Wives tend to want nice stuff. Although my particular one is pretty tolerant. Keep in mind, private RV parks often don't prefer older ones anyhow if you happen to have to stay at one.

We hate motels here. For some friends, walking into that room with bags in hand at the end of a day is a moment of relief and glory...for me, it just gives me the creeps. I don't like the money, the office, the beds, the bedspreads that only get washed every fourth customer, the floor, the HVAC unit that's like sleeping next to a running washing machine, and I don't like the people in the rooms beside and above who are not there to sleep but instead stomp around and do crack all night. I've stayed outside of San Francisco and Las Vegas this year and those nice-looking-from-the-outside places sucked. Sucked-sucked-sucked. Then there was a good one south of Santa Cruz...but $400 for one night. That's not a "hotel"...that's a motel, basically selling the last room to highest bidder and in the morning you're outta there. Tucson AZ, the place I mistakenly picked...my God what a dump. Three hours' sleep and a broken shower for $100, I was pissed. I should-have slept in the truck.

On the other hand, with your RV you have all your stuff. You have a big BBQ and all your friends travelling/attending with you hang out into the evening, before they crawl off to their stinky motel rooms. You crawl into your own comfy bed. Noise if it happens doesn't bother you so much, coming from the other side of your own familiar walls. In the morning you cook breakfast in your bathrobe and then go outside in the sun to read a while. Packing up to leave means running the awning in and checking the oil.

Since we just have a trailer, when we used to take the Challenger to stuff I'd borrow an older MH from a friend, about a '90 25' Fleetwood with a 454 that was tuned up a bit and pulled like an ox. If I was done-for by Sunday PM the wife enjoyed driving it home if it was just highway work. (After many year's service and letting a "renter" stay in it, that motorhome is finished now, I could have it if I wanted but it's pretty-much wrecked.) Some time back my motel-loving buddy did buy a class-C to tow his Camaro, hanging out at the track at night with a sweet little fire going is the best. In his case he likes the "C", 460 Ford, but that's a matter of preference.

With that, and keeping in mind that our own motorhome is basically a restoration/art project that I wonder if it'll ever see the road, and who-needs-another-one-of-those, I have no advice to give re: what motorhome except that some look designed to tow, and some really don't. I'm just saying, it's worth figuring out.

Edit: Jeez, Loren, does everything have to be an essay? Me: Yes, it does.
    Last edited by Loren; November 21, 2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I’d say add an “RV II” type cam to whatever you buy
      Parts shop/machine shop owner recommend that for my flatbed.. I was skeptical.. showed me a pic of him at the races and 3-4 huge class A’s. He said every one of them had that cam. I was happy with it. Got 16- Mpg with it ad pulled effortlessly

Used to maintain 2-34 footers for the local renter. Always something broken in them every time they got returned. Bracketry, cabinets and the leveling system.

Comment

Aaron,
        I would tend to (If I had your skills) build a gooseneck trailer with living quarters on the front, leaving enough room on the rear for any vehicle you would want to transport.... design it with drive over fenders, and enough of a winch to haul anything up on it... I have seen several systems that would do handsomly...Then you can put the Dually of your choice under the front with a warranty, comfort, and the option to swap it out any time you please, so your designed system stays with you.... you have been prepping for this with every SAR rig you have built....Just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SWfHLilsk

https://www.google.com/search?q=gooseneck+home+built+toy+hauler+with+slee ping+quarters&sxsrf=AOaemvKV8KB1sgojJKRCz_T3fRmyee nuQA:1637544604160&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2 ahUKEwiTyryD6ar0AhVNmmoFHV_yD9MQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw =1242&bih=568&dpr=1.1#imgrc=_UJrRIqe82Tu_M
        Last edited by silver_bullet; November 21, 2021, 06:31 PM.
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The other benefit being that once parked, the dually can be used for local transport and driving for supplies, while the trailer stays put with a built in security system to protect your gear....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I myself actually have a 5th-wheel trailer w/ living up front/car in back with space that could also be for living, up on the drawing board since I believe I have a truck that could haul it. Being able to release the tow vehicle for day trips is a plus that we enjoy w/ trailers. I have collected a lot of material incl. a 3-axle boat trailer and a hundred feet of 2x2 steel tubing, alum coachwork mat'l will be 5K/double a year ago. As I don't quite like available "toy haulers", making my own would be a way to go. However, I expect that to be very spendy time-wise if I see it through and tough to explain to better-half. The right motor home would have us on the road this spring, not in 2026, plus have all those velour curtains and stuff.
            Last edited by Loren; November 21, 2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Aaron,
              I would tend to (If I had your skills) build a gooseneck trailer with living quarters on the front, leaving enough room on the rear for any vehicle you would want to transport.... design it with drive over fenders, and enough of a winch to haul anything up on it... I have seen several systems that would do handsomly...Then you can put the Dually of your choice under the front with a warranty, comfort, and the option to swap it out any time you please, so your designed system stays with you.... you have been prepping for this with every SAR rig you have built....Just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SWfHLilsk

https://www.google.com/search?q=gooseneck+home+built+toy+hauler+with+slee ping+quarters&sxsrf=AOaemvKV8KB1sgojJKRCz_T3fRmyee nuQA:1637544604160&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2 ahUKEwiTyryD6ar0AhVNmmoFHV_yD9MQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw =1242&bih=568&dpr=1.1#imgrc=_UJrRIqe82Tu_M
              before BS, I had a 5th wheel trailer. Sold it, got a class A. I liked it, but it was a bit too worn, so I sold it... then doing overland for awhile - and honestly, I'm going back to a hammock for that kind of camping (though I keep putting around the idea of building a 1973-1991 Blazer with a camper). I want a motorhome because it works well as dog carrier as well. As far as moving about, I'll tow whatever we need - or rent when we get to wherever we go

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I’d say add an “RV II” type cam to whatever you buy
                Parts shop/machine shop owner recommend that for my flatbed.. I was skeptical.. showed me a pic of him at the races and 3-4 huge class A’s. He said every one of them had that cam. I was happy with it. Got 16- Mpg with it ad pulled effortlessly

Used to maintain 2-34 footers for the local renter. Always something broken in them every time they got returned. Bracketry, cabinets and the leveling system.
                I keep hearing stories about mpg.... here's my experience. My dad bought a 77 GMC class C new. He tried everything to get better fuel economy. Best it ever got was 12.7 (and he kept great records). I had a class A (454)- 85 - it got 9-11 mpg. My dad has a 96 class A (454), gets 11-13... I attribute the better fuel economy to the 4L80e and efi... but they still do terrible. That said, pickup towing a race trailer gets the same, benefit here is no hotels. I'm with Loren, I'll stay in a hotel if I have to - but would rather camp in my truck bed then a hotel

Comment

I've had a couple class C's and they just sat around. My truck has a topper and gets way better gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper73 View Post
                    I've had a couple class C's and they just sat around. My truck has a topper and gets way better gas mileage.
                    I can but I don't have to.

Comment

Some crap they have laying around in the desert. I can but I don't need it. https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/...435487878.html

Comment

I want it and I definitely don't need it .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

This is my tow rig. I added a rear leaf and l'm pulling with a little fuel injected 6 cyl. I had a dually and it was just collecting dust in the backyard. While most people think you can't pull with a 6 the gas mileage when pulling isn't even in the same ball park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210918_171259.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	1312640

Comment

This is the dually I had sitting in the backyard. As much as I liked it, that 460 sucked up gas like there was no tomorrow. I sold it for less than what the guy is asking for that GMC and the guy drove it home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200608_181830.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	877.4 KB
ID:	1312642

Comment

my current setup

and I'll bet we see a lot more colorado/tacoma/ranger combos this year because there was a lot of interest in my set up last year. But I'm done getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to get to a track that's at least an hour away from the closest hotel (yeah, guests don't like race noises when they sleep - jerks)....

do note that I have Ford hubcaps on my trailer, it tows 30% better with them on because nothing tows like a Ford.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 23, 2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X