No announcement yet.

Spark Plug Analysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had to guess the belt will start to slip long before it breaks. So if it feels like you don't have as much top end power or it has less boost. That would be the time for a new belt. I have run some very old belts. I can't think of one that broke. I would guess you could get 10 years 100,000 miles out of the belt with out failure. Slip may occur before then.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

If that is the case Einstein, can you explain to me how the blower belt keeps the cams from turning?
      On SOME engines, the single serpentine belt runs EVERYTHING. In the 70's I drove a Pontiac Astre - essentially a Vega with a split grille and gunslit tailllights. The inline 4 was overhead cam and when the serpentine belt finally broke the camshaft stopped, and the crank kept turning for a few more revolutions. No bueno.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

In the belt diagram earlier, it looks like a regular accessories drive system, and external WITHOUT COGGS.
        Most OHC are now Chain Driven.
        The OHC engines that I have worked with, the timing belt ONLY Drives the cam, exception, as mentioned a OLD Vega, the back side of the belt, drove the water pump and radiator fan.

I could be Wrong.....
        "Accidents happen in ANY Family"

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          I would guess you could get 10 years 100,000 miles out of the belt with out failure. Slip may occur before then.
          This one's at 6 years which is why I was originally marginally thinking about some very overly preemptive piddling with it. Miles - 13K. Red's a perfectly good daily driver but Bluebelle's more comfortable for Unit to ride in. Red just sits there waiting for airports and race tracks most of the time. He and I decided a long time ago that parking lots (autocross) are definitely not for him. Which reminds me, it's getting near time to stir Perry up about that grudge race at a drag strip. Another straight line but a much shorter distance.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

On SOME engines, the single serpentine belt runs EVERYTHING. In the 70's I drove a Pontiac Astre - essentially a Vega with a split grille and gunslit tailllights. The inline 4 was overhead cam and when the serpentine belt finally broke the camshaft stopped, and the crank kept turning for a few more revolutions. No bueno.
            So , we're all in agreement now , that I knew what I was and everyone else was talking about was a blower belt on a mustang , not a 4 popper pontiac , it's not going to be catastrophic .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

So , we're all in agreement now , that I knew what I was and everyone else was talking about was a blower belt on a mustang , not a 4 popper pontiac , it's not going to be catastrophic .
              Yes - seems like it was a flashback of YUGO terror

Comment

Working...
              X