Optima Challenge 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima Challenge 2022

So last year, yeah, it was a start. Between the scrambled computer and the loss of Buick... yeah, don't need to do that again (not to mention we also lost our oldest dog, Stella).

But this year, The Corvette seems to be ready to go and I'll have miles on it before I have to show up in Portland at the end of July.

So racing season starts. My first 'outing' is February 20th for a driving lesson then track day... which is fun because I may be doing it with studded snow tires. We can have snow until mid-April - but unlike anywhere else, it comes in waves. December/Christmas-ish, then some point between now and early February, then March 1-ish. Snow will close the track....
    In other news, there is likely a Class A motorhome in my future so I can stay at the track (and also stop for a break without having to stay at a hotel)

but the other cliffhanger is the Corvette is apart and the Cadillac is barely running (my other practice car)...

But race season, it's already started. Beside lessons there will be monthly runs to Spokane and tune sessions - presuming I can get my car quiet enough...

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm going to get hit with something but , take those side pipes off and runduals out the back . No noise ordinances leave the mufflers off . Noise restrictions, put on just what it takes to get you legal.
      Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 19, 2022, 12:20 PM.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        - presuming I can get my car quiet enough...

still waiting for the fart can muffler installation tutorial
        to go along with the rocketbunny wing, maybe that
        will quiet it down?

hah hah, just messing with you buddy. why?
        because i CAN........

Comment

RV added to the mix

my goal this year is consistency. I think the fuel system is up to snuff (though I'm having issues with the IAC, which I'll discuss with Holley on Monday). I should have most, if not all, of the aero done and a good once-a-month run at both high speed and autox starting in March.... heck, I'm going this weekend to a track day, but in the Cadillac because rain.

Comment

Kool,
            He Can't Hear, She Can't See !!!!
            Another Lovely Retired Couple Out on the Highways in a RV the Size of a Greyhound !!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              Kool,
              He Can't Hear, She Can't See !!!!
              Another Lovely Retired Couple Out on the Highways in a RV the Size of a Greyhound !!
              while that is certainly one group of RV'ers, the "offroad enthusiast" is another, wholly different segment. If you look at my last year pictures, there were very few RVs, lots of trailers with amenities, but no RVs (guessing due to towing capacity).... but we will see at the 'other' events I do, RV'ing is the thing.

Comment

Feb 13, 2021

Comment

and, we're loaded (Luigi is coming with).

weirdest thing, the trailer I bought for moving...

fits the Corvette just fine. boy was I lucky

Lots more ready this year....

Comment

see, it fits....

Comment

Just curious.......
                      Can you see anything in the mirrors other than that spoiler?
                      Good Blocking Technique using 2 ft of both lanes ?

Just being a Jack***, I ​​​​

Comment

this many stickers, I should have at least 1000 more horsepowers

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                          Just curious.......
                          Can you see anything in the mirrors other than that spoiler?
                          Good Blocking Technique using 2 ft of both lanes ?

Just being a Jack***, I ​​​​
                          I was going to give SBG a hard time and ask if it was 8 feet wide and needed 3 amber lights across it to be street legal. But I don't want to gang up on him . So , I won't .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

I was going to give SBG a hard time and ask if it was 8 feet wide and needed 3 amber lights across it to be street legal. But I don't want to gang up on him . So , I won't .
                            if it makes me faster it could be in flashing lights saying Dan Barlow loves other fellows.... heck, I'd put FGZ on stands in his swimsuit - if it makes me faster.... I mean, seriously, I'm not a Porsche guy - I drive a disco era Corvette.... fundamentally, I'll never be cool... and truth be told, I'd never trade it for the 67 Camaros I sold.

and for the 3 or so people who have picked me out of a crowd to tell me how awesome my car is.... yeah, I couldn't care less. I also rest secure knowing that I'm racing this weekend and you're not.

the only topper of all of this is if Chad has to report that I did well at the Challenge.... never happen (the do well part).
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2022, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Next Friday - the 22nd, my car is supposed to be featured in the DSE segment on MavTV's coverage of Optima.

I didn't take many pictures, but I know a lot of pictures were taken of me, and the car. I even gave a solid 2x shout out for Bangshift (along with wearing a shirt).... where's my damn contingency Brian?

Comment

Working...
                              X