In Other News; Find Me a Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Other News; Find Me a Car

Well I've been formally accepted into a PhD program and will be heading back to school in the fall, 15yrs post Masters and nearly 20 post undergrad. Also moving back to TX so the CTX will once again stand for Central Texas.

Since TX registration fees are so much less than CA's and even in the smog counties it's only $12 on top of the regular inspection fees, I can expand the vehicle fleet from a car for the wife and a K2500 Suburban with a big block for everything else (including my commute) to have something more commuter friendly for me and move "Bruce" into reserve duty. I know y'all crawl Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in your local area so I'm looking for a 1996 Buick Regal GS Coupe, preferably in Green. With only ~5600 coupes made in total in 1996; I'll be a bit less picky on the color and more on the condition.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Have you heard of autotempest? It combines search engines for cars.

Comment

Yes and it give "No results from 8 sources". Despite my pseudo-hunt for one, the value is so low that I most people don't bother listing it anywhere that costs money hence asking y'all to check your local ads.

Thanks
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Did you see the red one on car gurus with under 53k miles in AZ but a big dent in the rear drivers door but it looks pretty clean besides that?
        I saw a 1996 regal custom 3.8 on CL with under 25k miles for $600 but it looks like a scam.

Comment

lots of 98 GS (even a green one) in my area on Facebook Marketplace - but no 96 GS cars.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Whoo hoo congrats! And welcome back to Texas!

Coupes are a rare bird. Plenty of Riviera coupes around though. Some with the L67.
            Last edited by BBR; February 1, 2022, 10:24 AM.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Yeah, Coupes are pretty rare with only ~5600 made in both 1995 and 96 respectively. I'm not as big of a fan of the 95-99 Riviera styling as much as I do love Rivieras. The 88 T-type would be perhaps the most awesome though that's darn rare with only 8,625 (Includes 2,065 T-Types)1 made and no one particularly loving them to keep them around. Only seen one actively for sale and one in the archives of a listing aggregator in the last 4yrs of off and on looking. Also harder to keep running and slightly worse gas mileage, it is a commuter after all.

The 95 GS coupes seem to pop up a bit more often but I'd rather have the 96 with the OBDII L36 vs. the Series 1 3800 TPI in the 95's. 94 and earlier are out due to the stupid seat belts on the doors. At this point I'm not moving till June and don't start commuting for school till Sept so I'm being picky in hopes a 96 pops up.

1https://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt88.html
              Last edited by CTX-SLPR; February 1, 2022, 08:36 PM.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Figures... been casually looking for a 64-65 Skylark/Special 4dr as a cool family cruiser and commuter and one just popped up in Sacramento for a decent price but that would be yet another car I'd have to get to TX by transporter and fix up into a commuter as a 300 V8 and ST300 2spd wouldn't cut it.

A 95 GS Coupe (with cloth interior even!) poped up on CarGurus but with only 58K miles it's well out my price range
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1995_buick_regal-pic-8403731915678691453-1024x768.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	1313613

Name:	1995_buick_regal-pic-3274323531809635876-1024x768.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1313614
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Back to the top to look for a 96 Regal Gran Sport Coupe out there in Bangshift land.

Did the math and cost wise, to run on premium a car has to be ~20% more fuel efficient (in Central TX at least) to cost the same in miles per gallon. I somehow doubt I'd be able to squeak an L67 up to 21mpg city to make that math work but it's a somewhat lower bar than I was expecting to make it economical.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Well... a '96 Gran Sport coupe popped up local and it's almost green...

Name:	96_Regal GS Coupe Int.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1318136 Click image for larger version

Name:	96_Regal GS Coupe Ps.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1318137 Click image for larger version

Name:	96_Regal GS Coupe Dr.png
Views:	122
Size:	186.2 KB