Oh the irony, VW polluting again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh the irony, VW polluting again

There's a ship in the Atlantic that carries cars that is burning. It's carrying VWs.... electric ones. And that is the suspected source of the fire, the lithium batteries.
    I'm impressed, VW is committed to creating pollution. First with diesels, now with electric.

A fire aboard a ship carrying cars in the mid-Atlantic is dying out, a Portuguese navy officer said Tuesday, and the huge vessel is expected to be towed to the Bahamas.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

WOW. Our two car garage is directly beneath our bedroom. Suffice to say, I'll never let anybody park an electric car in there. That is, if anybody ever comes here driving an electric car.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That's some bad press.

Comment

I posted about this fire a couple days ago in my thread about Porsches....
        I read there are a bunch of spanking new Bentley sedans onboard, too.

Sir, your Porsche is not coming home - The BangShift.com Forums
        Last edited by studemax; February 22, 2022, 12:42 PM.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Yep. Been following that one...

People don't get the total cost to the earth for every new car built and delivered, to supposedly "save" energy, and then to have a whole shipload of them burn up on the ocean...jeez.

I personally am a detached-garage fan anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            There's a ship in the Atlantic that carries cars that is burning. It's carrying VWs.... electric ones. And that is the suspected source of the fire, the lithium batteries.
            I'm impressed, VW is committed to creating pollution. First with diesels, now with electric.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/stre...22/id/1057867/
            Don't be so hard on VW. It wasn't their fault that buyers of their Diesels didn't drive them only on dynos where their emissions met standards just fine. (where's the "irony" emoji?)

Dan

Comment

And to further fuel this discussion, have you read about the increse in pollution due to the use of ethanol in gasoline to decrease the increase of emissions? Oh well, we tried to warn them, didn't we Dan?

Comment

Water pollution, not air pollution. Making ethanol dirties up more gallons of water per gallon of fuel compared to other refined petroleum fuels.
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Don't be so hard on VW. It wasn't their fault that buyers of their Diesels didn't drive them only on dynos where their emissions met standards just fine. (where's the "irony" emoji?)

Dan
                  I still believe this to be true. I think if the 'violating' Jetta had the amazing fuel economy of the earlier diesels; no one would have cared. The problem was the best ours did was 35 mpg (and the 'best' from hypermilers was 50 mpg). Compare that to the diesel Rabbits that, even with my lead foot, got 65 mpg..... Add to that the Jetta didn't handle as well as the earlier ones - and suddenly you have a fuel-swilling polluter that you can get rid of for really good money. Jettas did two things - got amazing diesel fuel economy and were a blast to drive or the gas were respectably quick (GTI) and handled about as well as any fwd car could... then they didn't do either - I think most, like me, were disappointed with the car and the buyout was just a nice way to get something different.

as for cobalt and lithium, there isn't enough of either to supply 1/3rd of the world-wide fleet. Then, just like windmills, they'll bury those and go on with the next thing to scare the brain soft.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                    And to further fuel this discussion, have you read about the increse in pollution due to the use of ethanol in gasoline to decrease the increase of emissions? Oh well, we tried to warn them, didn't we Dan?
                    ah yes, but this dovetails my last comment - E85 has a fun factor, people don't care because they can make great hp.... if gasohol (remember that stuff) had survived, my dad was full on planning on building a motor to take advantage of it... now it's so inbred into fuel that it's not likely going to go away. That said, hydrogen may yet be the answer for ICE motors.... time will tell on that one

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

ah yes, but this dovetails my last comment - E85 has a fun factor, people don't care because they can make great hp.... if gasohol (remember that stuff) had survived, my dad was full on planning on building a motor to take advantage of it... now it's so inbred into fuel that it's not likely going to go away. That said, hydrogen may yet be the answer for ICE motors.... time will tell on that one
                      Hydrogen is almost clean when combusting in an ICE. However, any combustion proces that uses air (80 N2, 20 O2 approximately, traces of other stuff...) makes NOx compounds, due to the temperatures and pressures involved. And then count in the emissions from getting the stuff, either thru electrolysis of water, or other methods, transportation if not made at point of sale, and many more factors we could discuss ad nauseum, and suddenly it's not so clean.

Hey don't get me wrong, I still love the smell of methanol with a splash of nitro, and race gasoline, to quote Homer "Hmmmm!". My area of specialty in emissions is air, water not at all. To quote WC Fields "Ah yes, never drink water, fish #### in it!"

Comment

Hey don't get me wrong, I still love the smell of methanol with a splash of nitro, and race gasoline, to quote Homer "Hmmmm!". My area of specialty in emissions is air, water not at all. To quote WC Fields "Ah yes, never drink water, fish #### in it!"
                        Slight correction (you know how I love words)....... "little fishes make love in the stuff."

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Slight correction (you know how I love words)....... "little fishes make love in the stuff."

Dan
                          what do the big fishes do?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            WOW. Our two car garage is directly beneath our bedroom. Suffice to say, I'll never let anybody park an electric car in there. That is, if anybody ever comes here driving an electric car.
                            Kid swiped OSU professor’s Tesla.
                            Made a run from the police..
                            just about out of town he flipped it.
                            Caught fire.
                            could not use water.
                            would short and pollute.
                            none of the tow trucks wanted the job

Comment

Hydrogen is almost clean when combusting in an ICE. However, any combustion proces that uses air (80 N2, 20 O2 approximately, traces of other stuff...) makes NOx compounds, due to the temperatures and pressures involved. And then count in the emissions from getting the stuff, either thru electrolysis of water, or other methods, transportation if not made at point of sale, and many more factors we could discuss ad nauseum, and suddenly it's not so clean.

Fish fornication. It should be a band name

I think the reasons we went with internal combustion (after forays into steam and batteries) are as true today as they were back then. With that framework, had someone ask me about the science of my position on not wearing masks. So I gave him a number of scientific articles and numbers of issues which arose due to all of this - want to know his response? he didn't feel that was right. Feel.

I hear you, Mr. Science in gansevoort, but sadly none of this is not driven by science. It's driven by people who feel you're wrong (and usually won't even shut up when asked to prove up their feelings)...
                              Or did I even mention that someone's response to me about how lithium is a pretty hard-to-get-and-likely-going-to-run-out (peak lithium, another good band name) lithium batteries could be reformulated without lithium... and now we're right back to dumb creatures fornicating.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 25, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X