RIP, Danny Ongais - dead at 79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, Danny Ongais - dead at 79

The first time I heard of Danny "On-the gas" he was driving a Mustang Funny Car for Mickey Thompson. Turns out the guy raced bikes, beat the Snake driving a top fueler, set records on the salt, drove at Indy, won the 24 Hours of Daytona, and even more. The cat drove fast, and was universally liked and respected for his fierce and competitive style.

Danny Ongais, 11-Time Indianapolis 500 Racer, Rolex 24 Winner Dies at 79 (autoweek.com)
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

One of my dad's favorite people... RIP
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Danny "On-the gas" .. raced bikes, beat the Snake driving a top fueler, set records on the salt, drove at Indy, won the 24 Hours of Daytona, and even more.
      Respect.

Comment

So sorry to hear of this. Saw him race a Mickey Thompson Mustang early-style funny car at Detroit Dragway in about 1970 or so. He went into the ditch (they had ditches to separate the track from the spectators and pits), stayed on it, and drove back out of the ditch winning the race as the other car had shut down thinking the run was over for Danny. I think the other car was given the win as you have to stay on the track but Danny crossed the finish line first!

Dan

Comment

did not ring a bell until I read "flyin hawaiian"
          big contender.
          life long.

may he rest.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X