Wiring Refinement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Refinement?

You guys may have seen the ads on FB for some new-fangled butt splices that are supposed to make neat, heat-shrunk splices with just a wire stripper and a heat gun. I've made many a butt splice but they rarely come out pretty and if I solder them I worry about them being brittle (yes, I've had them fatigue and break). Bottom line - I decided to give these a try.

Here's what they look like out of the package (sorry it's a bit fuzzy but this is a close-up). Where the color is the ID is a bit smaller so I found it just a bit tricky to slide the wire past that area but not a big deal. The wires I splices had been a molded pair so it might have been easier if I'd trimmed off the little "fin" where the two wires had been connected.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1097.jpg Views:	0 Size:	729.4 KB ID:	1317725

And the completed joints. Very neat and tidy and a reading with my digital multimeter showed zero ohms across the joint so I'm declaring this to be a good connection. If I wasn't planning to do this write-up I would have added a piece of heat shrink tube to cover the connection just so the wires would be neater but left it off for photographic purposes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1096(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	941.0 KB ID:	1317726

As an experiment I cut one of the metal rings out of it's shrink tube and messed around with the heat gun and it's possible to destroy the metal part with heat gun level heat but it you just shrink the shrink tube the metal part gets hot enough to make the connection.

All in all a good system and I plan to use them as I do projects.
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 15, 2022, 12:22 PM.

Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I used those on my FJ40 (and continue to do so).... they're holding up just fine. There are some tricks to them - most important is don't heat them too fast and distribute the heat around the ring. Also, as you found, the plastic is really soft so if you want them to be straight, you'll need to hold them straight until they cool
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 16, 2022, 08:45 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm going to show my computer illiteracy. What is fb, and where or from whom can those connectors be procured?

See I told you all I'm clueless about computers...

And I've got a masters degree in science...

Comment

FB = Facebook.

I have not used them. I thought the solder was to melt in those connectors?

Lately I have be used non insulated butt connectors and heat shrink. I did by some pink crimp butt connectors that the insulation shrinks. I like them but it's easy to get a hole on the shrink around the crimp so they need something else.

I have found that for crimp butt connectors to work two things are important. The wire fills up the connector, if it doesn't add another wire. Second good crimps. I like these.

Neiko 02037A Compact 4-in-1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KN9YUSU...p_mob_ap_share
          ​​
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            I'm going to show my computer illiteracy. What is fb
            FaceBook

Comment

Who sells those?
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ah, FB= Facebook. I'm not interested. Thanks for the responses however. This site and the HAMB are the only 2 I've ever signed up for. Yup, I'm a troglodyte or luddite, or possibly a troglodytic luddite or ludditic troglodyte. Or just plain stupid

I know, I'm set in my ways.

Comment

solder heat shrink - Google Search
                  https://www.google.com/search?q=solder+heat+shrink&oq=soldered+hea&aqs=ch rome.3.69i57j0i22i30l9.13433j1j7&sourceid=chrome&i e=UTF-8
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Thanks Patrick.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

You, Sir, are quite welcome 🙏! I don’t really trust the links provided on Facebook, so, I tend to search for the best vendors myself…
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        solder heat shrink - Google Search
                        https://www.google.com/search?q=sold...red+hea&aqs=ch rome.3.69i57j0i22i30l9.13433j1j7&sourceid=chrome&i e=UTF-8
                        That's it! I wouldn't have known it existed w/o the FB ad. Dave - I only signed up for FaceBook to communicate with my grownup Grandkids who use the platform so I know where you're comin' from.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 18, 2022, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X