$1.5 million dollar TRACTOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1.5 million dollar TRACTOR

If you have the time - read all the way to the bottom of the article....

For the First Time, a Vintage Tractor Has Sold for More Than $1... | Hemmings
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

they talk about it like it's huge, and it was in 1910 - but its 26,000 lbs pales in comparison to the past featured Big Buds that Welker farms uses.... they don't have the largest Bud, a 16v747, those weigh 95,000 dry and weighted out and fueled can weight up to 135,000 lbs.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Might sink through the grass at Pebble Beach... I wonder what more of its' story is, most equipment not being actively used anymore didn't survive the WWII scrap drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        Might sink through the grass at Pebble Beach... I wonder what more of its' story is, most equipment not being actively used anymore didn't survive the WWII scrap drives.
        I think the government excluded farm tools, also things like those tractors got repurposed into power stations for saw mills, thus were saved because they were still working.... even into the 70s

Comment

Yeah as long as something was working it was safe. I once (this would be 40+ years ago) heard from an old farmer that anything just sitting around would have your neighbors whose sons were in the war looking down their noses at you...this guy had a Model A chassis in the barn that they drove around the farm with no body after sending that un-needed part for scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
            Yeah as long as something was working it was safe. I once (this would be 40+ years ago) heard from an old farmer that anything just sitting around would have your neighbors whose sons were in the war looking down their noses at you...this guy had a Model A chassis in the barn that they drove around the farm with no body after sending that un-needed part for scrap.
            Wish people were as loving of their neighbors today...

Comment

It's unreal to me how low the gearing is in that steering box. Are all tractors that way?
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                It's unreal to me how low the gearing is in that steering box. Are all tractors that way?
                Newer tractors have power steering and ratios close to automobile systems... That was manual steeting used often on soft ground with the entire weight of a boiler and firebox on it...takes a semi to haul that beast! todays tractors cannot pull what that behemouth can....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Stan Reynolds.....never had the opportunity to meet him, but have been to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin several times, and come to think of it, I'm WAY overdue for another visit!

With an outstanding collection of cars, airplanes, tractors, and industrial machines, the museum pays tribute to Alberta's mechanical heritage.

For all the hard core Tractor guys:
                  Families will enjoy steam threshing, a children's carnival, petting zoo, and more. Watch us bring in the harvest!

And any of you intending to head to Alaska via the The Alaska Highway, Wetaskiwin is not that far south of Edmonton, A quick jog to the east off Hwy 2, so not a huge detour to go have a look (but you will be there a while, there's plenty to see, and there's an Aircraft Museum on the site as well!!)
                  Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; May 5, 2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Newer tractors have power steering and ratios close to automobile systems... That was manual steeting used often on soft ground with the entire weight of a boiler and firebox on it...takes a semi to haul that beast! todays tractors cannot pull what that behemouth can....
                    uh... no.

Today's tractors would use that tractor as ballast... read my post above about the Big Bud - comes in at 135,000 lbs, 95,000 dry compared to that yard tractor that comes in a 9 hp and diet 28,000 lbs. No doubt they're big but even the Big Buds - made in the 60s, make those things like like a push mower...

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
                      Stan Reynolds.....never had the opportunity to meet him, but have been to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin several times, and come to think of it, I'm WAY overdue for another visit!

With an outstanding collection of cars, airplanes, tractors, and industrial machines, the museum pays tribute to Alberta's mechanical heritage.

For all the hard core Tractor guys:
                      Families will enjoy steam threshing, a children's carnival, petting zoo, and more. Watch us bring in the harvest!

And any of you intending to head to Alaska via the The Alaska Highway, Wetaskiwin is not that far south of Edmonton, A quick jog to the east off Hwy 2, so not a huge detour to go have a look (but you will be there a while, there's plenty to see, and there's an Aircraft Museum on the site as well!!)
                      as I'm uber mean today... that landing page... her teeth look just like that Chrysler's grill....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

as I'm uber mean today... that landing page... her teeth look just like that Chrysler's grill....
                        maybe so-- but id still rather kiss her than you.
                        and i actually like you. i mean, not LIKE like....

Comment

Keep in mind that the Big Buds were very limited production and was not even considered in the statement of Today's Tractors... While not high in horsepower, the steam tractors had UNGODLY amounts of torque!

Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Still not buying it, newest tractors still tip the scales at 65,000 lbs..... and while steam does have torque, they have no traction with those steel wheels. I know, I know, there's videos of steam tractors pulling small tractors around.... dude, it's the fair - and while, I know, the fair has lots of cool stuff most is fiction.... and Santa isn't real either. Hook a steam tractor to a 100' seeder - and the seeder ain't going anywhere.

sorry.

and steam IS cool, but a Detroit diesel at full song makes steam sound like Mary Poppins.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 6, 2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

maybe so-- but id still rather kiss her than you.
                              and i actually like you. i mean, not LIKE like....
                              no kissing will be occurring during a deep discussion about tractors.

Comment

Working...
                              X