Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Back - With Pics!

For a while, anyhow.

ME and I have been off on a train trip from Michigan to Chi-Town to Portland OR, down to Oakland CA, then to Lincoln NE (Museum of American Speed - 1 day is NOT enough and they're adding on!), back to Chicago to Ann Arbor then drove home. Rail travel was fun though the top bunk in a roomette is a tad tight for 75-year-old man! Dining car food was excellent but the snack bar from Lincoln to Chicago to Ann Arbor (we rode coach for that leg) was not much.

I have to download and cull pics but I'll post up an entry on the Museum. It's REALLY extraordinary.

Great trip but good to be home.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; May 14, 2022, 02:02 PM.

That's a whole lotta travelling.

I've probably spent about 120 hours in trains in my life, hour-for-hour more fun than airlines (and I enjoy air travel). People on trains gather for discussions if they want, or find a quiet row if they don't, I've been in some interesting ones with groups of total strangers. Watching the sun set on the CA coast while sipping on a beer the food car sold under-age me, or the route through the Sierras, or gazing out on the prairie for hours, happy memories. Sleeping in a cheapo seat in your clothes for the second straight night on a long trip, not so much. It does take a while to get where you're going but of-course if it's an overnight you wake up with a bunch of miles past you.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to do one from Chicago to Washington then down to California then back to Chicago. We have thought about driving to Virginia and having the car loaded on the train and doing down to around Orlando. Then driving around . But cheap me thinks if I were driving SE to there , I'm really not saving myself much driving.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'll add a few pics:

As a typical car guy, I'll start with a couple of shots of our rental car in Sacramento/Oakland California. We were scheduled for a "Compact" but Hertz was out of them so I suggested that they hook us up with the Mustang convertible and the desk clerk said "Sure" so there it was!

In front our friend's house in Oakland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1318935

And the necessary engine pic: It was an Ecoboost with a 204 speed automatic (or so it seemed). Would have been more fun with a manual but definitely not bad. Sadly, not a pretty engine.

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	954.6 KB
ID:	1318936

Out the train window somewhere in California. It's hard to photograph the depth of the scene at least for us. Yes, that's still snow.....

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1318937

And the American River from the train. You don't get those views from the expressway. I'm pretty proud of this pic!

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1318938

Comment

I see snow ......any idea what the elevation was ?
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            I see snow ......any idea what the elevation was ?
            Dan, figuring I had snow on the Coast Range about the same time Dan Stokes was on his trip and typically around 800-1200 ft..
            Stokes’s pics look to be near 2000 ft. Looks like the Sierra Nevadsa.

Comment

Love the picture of the country side. I for one am not for engine covers just to hid the ugly. My bet is ford figured out a great number of new car buyers don't or don't know how to even open the hood. Give it time OEM will have bolt down lift off hoods to eliminate the hinges and keep those drivers out even better.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                For a while, anyhow.

ME and I have been off on a train trip from Michigan to Chi-Town to Portland OR, down to Oakland CA, then to Lincoln NE (Museum of American Speed - 1 day is NOT enough and they're adding on!), back to Chicago to Ann Arbor then drove home. Rail travel was fun though the top bunk in a roomette is a tad tight for 75-year-old man! Dining car food was excellent but the snack bar from Lincoln to Chicago to Ann Arbor (we rode coach for that leg) was not much.

I have to download and cull pics but I'll post up an entry on the Museum. It's REALLY extraordinary.

Great trip but good to be home.

Dan
                We live a couple of miles across Lincoln from Speedway & have never been to the museum. Funny how when you live close to something a lot of times you are just too busy to allow for a whole day to do something like that. We will be at Speedway Motors for their Saturday morning "Cars & Coffee" next Saturday with our '56 "150" & participant cars always get a couple of free passes to the museum when you roll in & we will probably give them away like we usually do. Sooner or later someone needs a pair. Usually someone from out of town.
                ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post

We live a couple of miles across Lincoln from Speedway & have never been to the museum. Funny how when you live close to something a lot of times you are just too busy to allow for a whole day to do something like that. We will be at Speedway Motors for their Saturday morning "Cars & Coffee" next Saturday with our '56 "150" & participant cars always get a couple of free passes to the museum when you roll in & we will probably give them away like we usually do. Sooner or later someone needs a pair. Usually someone from out of town.
                  Drove by “World of Speed” museum in Wilsonville OR for 4 years @2-4 times a month. Decided to stop, CLOSED PERMANENTLY 🤨

Comment

Working...
                  X