Museum of American Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum of American Speed

On our train journey home we made a special stop in Lincoln Nebraska so I could see the Museum of American Speed. Basically, I failed given that I only skimmed less than half of it. It's open from Noon to 4:30 and is open fewer days in the winter so plan ahead and allow yourselves at least 2 days and more if you can. Be aware that there's currently no food on site so you'll need to plan accordingly. It sits in an industrial complex beside the Speedway Motors warehouse so there's not much around it and tere's little for kids to do unless they're into car stuff (I saw a couple of Dads trying to keep 4 year old interested).

They have stuff you won't see anyplace else on Earth, like this exploded view of a DOHC Studebaker V8.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1318940
    Another view:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1318941

And assembled - yep, they have TWO of them! The plaque gives some info. Most of the exhibits are well marked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1153(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1318942
    For Dave G - Sprint Cars. They have them from the pre-rollbar days up to modern ones. They sell lots of parts to sprint guys.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1318943
    The Seth Hammond Lakester, still one of the most beautiful vehicles I've ever seen. They have a nice grouping of LSR cars and stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	1318944

And Joe Ledford's car. Raced with him many times at ECTA events and I'm sure Monster remembers Joe who was a great guy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	1318945

Yep, that's Isky's roadster, preserved just how they got it. I hope you can read the backboard for more info as it was extremely innovative.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1318946

And for me, SBG, and other Buick fans, a nailhead.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1318947

This isn't even a sampling of all there is. You might have noticed all the stuff in display cases and just sitting around the displays - the place is overwhelming. I hope I can get back there but at least I got my feet wet a little. GO if you possibly can!
    Last edited by DanStokes; May 14, 2022, 02:44 PM.

I spent an afternoon there shortly after the last expansion. Luckily, it was a slow day and Bill's son Mark showed me his mother's pedal cars and toy car collections, followed by the employee lunchroom with his personal collection of lunchboxes! It was a neat day, and by now the museum has expanded twice more. I've got to get back there sometime!
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      I spent an afternoon there shortly after the last expansion. Luckily, it was a slow day and Bill's son Mark showed me his mother's pedal cars and toy car collections, followed by the employee lunchroom with his personal collection of lunchboxes! It was a neat day, and by now the museum has expanded twice more. I've got to get back there sometime!
      Me too! I'm trying to come up with a way to see more. BTW - there's a huge expansion underway currently which looks to be at least half as big as the current facility so probably another 65,000 square feet or more. It'll be another 3 floors. They said that have have many times what's on display in warehouses around town.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Joe Ledford's car. Raced with him many times at ECTA events and I'm sure Monster remembers Joe who was a great guy.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	1318945
        Yep, sent that car off the line, many, many times. Joe was all class.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Yep, sent that car off the line, many, many times. Joe was all class.
          Did you notice that the information board is wrong. That's NOT a "Lakester" as noted but a /STR (Street Roadster for you non-LSR folks).

Comment

Really nice that the Smith family has kept it going. I was in Lincoln twice when I worked for the government, but we were not able to get to the museum either time. My loss...

Maybe when I get a new vehicle SWMBO and I will make a road trip to Nebraska.

And like many of you, I've bought a lot of parts from Speedway since the 70's
            Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; May 15, 2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Me too! I'm trying to come up with a way to see more. BTW - there's a huge expansion underway currently which looks to be at least half as big as the current facility so probably another 65,000 square feet or more. It'll be another 3 floors. They said that have have many times what's on display in warehouses around town.
              They own a lot of property around town. Speedway Properties signs everywhere so I am sure they are making as much or more from that. Not the most loved if you happen to lease or rent from them.
              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I was just at their Cars and Coffee this past Saturday. First one since 2019. Drove the wagon, just to attend it. Didn't hit the museum though. But I have been to it before.

Tim
                '71 Buick Sportwagon running project
                '85 Ford Crown Victoria 2 dr. 2nd project
                2015 Harley Street Glide 103ci

Comment

200wins and I have been talking about meeting there for Cars and Coffee one month......maybe we can get an informal 'gathering' together.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Over the weekend, some local guy tried to convince me the museum had been closed for years and the displays sold off. I couldn't even begin to prove to him how wrong he was.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Nice museum for being closed! Glad I got there before everything was sold off!

Who was this knucklehead?

Comment

Looks like they are expanding it. There is building on the Speedway side.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          200wins and I have been talking about meeting there for Cars and Coffee one month......maybe we can get an informal 'gathering' together.
                          I would be game for a meet and greet. When I get to Lincoln. My oldest son and family live there.

Comment

Originally posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
                            Looks like they are expanding it. There is building on the Speedway side.

Tim
                            Yes they are. It looks to be about half again as big as the current building and will be 3 stories just like the current one. The guide said that they have several times more stuff in storage than what they have on display.

Comment

Working...
                            X