Popular Hot Rodding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Hot Rodding

I just picked up the latest Popular Hot Rodding mag. In there in Johnny Hunkins editorial he says that its us Hot Rodders that are the real enviormentalists. I think hes damn right, just like the piece DF wrote in Hot Rod a few months back he even mentions DF in the article. The point is by keeping our old cars on the road we are doing more for the enviorment than going and buying some new turd. I wish the federal & state goverment saw it that way too.

Re: Popular Hot Rodding

The government would rather everyone drove a Fart Car.

Comment

The problem is that the Gov doesn't know how to measure the environmental impact of not killing a car, so they pretend like it is an un-issue.

Let me give you a "for instance". They had all the bicycle riders change and start riding with the traffic. When I was a kid, they had us ride INTO the traffic. Here's the deal. They can calculate how much less force the rider receives if he's going 20 MPH and the car is going 45, making a collision speed of 25. If the rider hits the car at the same speeds going into the traffic, the closing speed is 65, making a much bigger mess. The problem with this plan is that the "with traffic" argument completely ignores that fact that the rider going into the traffic flow can see the oncoming driver and miss the accident completely! They have no way to meter the accidents that didn't happen.

Same with saving old cars. There is no really good way to assess the lack of environmental damage caused by reusing a car. So the regulators slavishly continue to push for the removal of the older cars from the fleet. They also can't seem to separate the kinds of older cars you or I might have from the ones that one can find in the ghetto in most any town - you know, the old hunks of dung that people keep running with hope and bailing wire. So - there are old cars, and then, there are old cars.

SEMA is our best bet to get the lawmakers to become sensitive to our needs and to make them aware that there are responsible citizens out here who do care and who also want to keep a fine hobby alive. Contact SEMA and your legislators, and do it often. That is, if you want to keep the hobby alive.

Later
      Dan

Comment

Not only what we do for the environment,

but howzabout what we do for the economy,

American ingenuity...and employment, eh?

Comment

I think I'd rather get hit from behind and not see it coming !

Comment

Working...
          X