Need Fridge Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Fridge Input

The ol' Frididaire ain't looking good (it's over 18 years old and doesn't owe us anything) and I was wondering if any of you have good or bad new refrigerator stories. Our Bosch dishwasher has been excellent so it's hard not to consider Bosch but I don't know anything about their refrigerators. We bought the dishwasher based on Hemi Joel's recommendation so this seems like the place for good appliance advice! Trying to decide what to get.

Input?

don't get a freezer drawer, buy the refrigerator with a glass door - we just bought an LG, good quality stuff. It has a door in a door that has a glass panel so you can see inside (some have tv screens which do the same thing).... I love that part, the drawer? not so much - too easy to lose stuff in the bottom and get stuff stuck so it doesn't allow the drawer to seal....

but back to the glass door - it's really nice because you can put beverages and such, then simply grab and go.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I hate it when I'm on the opposite side of SBG . He has all the info and specs and stuff. All I can tell you is the mother in law that just pasted bought a new LG 5 or 6 years ago an it ran out of life 2 weeks before her . Obviously we didn't buy another LG .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

ME wants the freezer drawer. Both of the DIL's have them so we have some experience but I hear what you're saying. Not sure on the door inside the door - sounds good but price is an issue for us - and remember, we're in the "not buying green bananas" stage of life. The repair guy is on his way so we'll see if declares the old one officially dead (freezes freezes, the fridge is room temp) then go from there.

Comment

There's life in the ol' girl yet! The tech found that the defrost timer has taken a dump so a simple fix. Saves us $$ at least for now.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            There's life in the ol' girl yet! The tech found that the defrost timer has taken a dump so a simple fix. Saves us $$ at least for now.

Dan
            no glass door for you

Comment

No LG either !
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                No LG either !

show me on the refrigerator where the bad salesman touched you.....

Comment

A Thing about LG ......
                  They Look Nice, Work Great.....for awhile.....
                  ​​​​​​AND When They Krap Out......you CAN'T GET PARTS !!!
                  5 YR OLD dryer, the fancy control panel Gave Up the Ghost,
                  Sorry Sir, that part number is No Longer Available....

Comment

We had bad luck with Samsung. Our Frigidare replacement was replaced within a year because they couldn't make the inside lights work. We've had issues with the icemaker and the defrost drain clogged up twice in about 8 years. Seems like the new stuff is not built as well. Good luck.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                      We had bad luck with Samsung.
                      Same. We got the fanciest $3K fridge they had and it lasted three years. The ice maker quit and then the whole thing quit and nobody within 100 miles of here works on Samsung. We replaced it with a plain Jane fridge, top freezer with ice maker, no tricks.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Well timed thread, need to buy one for the new house. We also hate our LG and Samsung appliances so shopping amongst GE, Bosch, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid.

So far a GE is leading though Whirlpool has a strong dog in the fight.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The repair guy who fixed ours says that the brands made by Electrolux (Frigidaire, Whirlpool, others - look at the data sticker inside the refrigerator area for the actual maker) all seem to be doing pretty well. He steered us away from Bosch due to circuit board issues. So far ours is doing well in its repaired state.

Dan

Comment

I'm going to need some fridge input myself before the end of the day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tecate six pack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	1319226

Our Kenmore that Sears (remember them?) replaced under a service plan is working well after ten years (knock on wood, now) but the ice maker was always stubborn. Many service calls on that, since I don't use it I turned it off altogether a month ago and there it shall stay.

A recent experience with the wash machine, the service guy who pronounced ours' as finished was asked about used ones, he said a store near him had a particular machine he'd recommend and gave me the name/model number. No special features, just basic stuff, and again, used not new. So I went in there and the sales guy immediately steered me toward something newer and fancy, and was a bit annoyed at me for refusing what he wanted me to buy. The one I brought home has been working well for a year now (again knock-on-wood, I SO don't want to jinx this).

The point being, if I hadn't asked a repairman, I would have really been at the mercy of the sales guy and who-knows what I would have ended up with.

Over and over I hear about people's very-expensive new LG, Samsung and even Bosch appliances that crap out within 2-5 years, or at-least shortly after the warranty is up. What a waste, and what a scam. (It is a scam.) When I was a kid our home had the same appliances for my entire growing up.

Other stuff I've bought lately, that turned out to be garbage, an "industrial-duty" all-metal cooling fan that was more expensive than the regular one, which with very light use quit literally a week after the one-year warranty expired, and a $300 Ryobi electric pressure washer that ran maybe 20 minutes or less before it was done working. Because I set it aside (in disgust) and didn't go back to the store within 90 days they won't replace it despite a "3-year warranty" statement displayed on the box as part of the come-on, and there ARE NO SERVICE PARTS AVAILABLE (get it? Funny, huh) so it cannot be fixed. With Home Depot's hands thus washed of any responsibility for what they sell per their policy, I'm supposed to chase my tail with Ryobi directly who is just a name that buys this stuff from Viet Nam or wherever and are in the business of selling and being done with it, not ensuring the people who have paid them money are getting any kind of value. Suffice to say that besides them, Home Depot is on my sh*t list now and may be forever avoided but I doubt anybody else is any better.
                            Last edited by Loren; May 20, 2022, 06:03 AM.

Comment

It's called planned obsolescence. They spend money to make sure you have to spend more money so they get rich. Manufacturers sabotage there own products so they don't last too long then make the replacement parts cost an arm and a leg so you just buy a new one.

It should be outlawed it just waste our money and fills up landfills.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X