Gathering Parts for New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gathering Parts for New Project

Until I have the new project car in hand I'll keep the wraps on it but I've started gathering parts and pieces. I went browsing our local Pick n Pull and found a Colorado PU with a 5 speed - fairly rare as they were only fitted to 4 cylinder (Atlas series in my price range) 2WD base model trucks. So I did a "what the heck" piece of decision-making and went back with tools and implements of destruction and grabbed it. The few with manuals were equipped with the Aisin AR5 which is basically the same unit found in the Solstice and Sky. I knew this was meant to be when I found a Solstice bellhousing on Ebay for a semi-reasonable price - it arrived today. For those not in the know, the Solstice bell allows bolting up an Ecotec to the AR5 in a rear wheel drive configuration, so an easy 175 HP with potential for a turbo. So pics........

From the front. Installed is the Atlas bellhousing, in front is the Solstice unit. Note that they're significantly different including the starter mount - the Atlas starter bolts to the block while the Ecotec bolts to the bellhousing. I learned this AFTER fighting to get the starter off at PnP only to find out that it can just hang there. Oh well, next time......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	1319379

And from the side. It clicks thru all the gears easily but of course it would have been nice to know why the truck was junked - the body looks decent. Wondering if I should chop out the trans tunnel.

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	918.7 KB
ID:	1319380

I have some scrubbing up to do but this feels like I'm getting started.

those also came in 4x4 - I have 2 of them, one is in my FJ40... they're AW5 - Aisin / Warner 5. Uses same spline count as a Borg Warner transmission...that front bellhousing, you can buy an adapter which adapts that trans to any chevy bolt pattern..... again, what I did on the FJ40. Tough little transmissions. GM and Toyota jointly developed it, thus parts are pretty available for it since it was put in everything from Celicas to Tacomas - also V6 Camaros. They're very similar to the Jeep AX15 (thus the adapter)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Name:	LAs totally awesome cleaner.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1319392This stuff, my favorite, makes a great cleaner for transmissions; spray, let sit, brush, rinse off with a hose, repeat. They say there's no acid in it but I left a leaking bottle on galvanized steel over a period of days and it took the galvanize off. I think Wal-Mart might have it, or the dollar store.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

ID:	1319392This stuff, my favorite, makes a great cleaner for transmissions; spray, let sit, brush, rinse off with a hose, repeat. They say there's no acid in it but I left a leaking bottle on galvanized steel over a period of days and it took the galvanize off. I think Wal-Mart might have it, or the dollar store.
        I'll look for that. I've been using Easy Off oven cleaner but it turns the aluminum grey.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          those also came in 4x4 - I have 2 of them, one is in my FJ40... they're AW5 - Aisin / Warner 5. Uses same spline count as a Borg Warner transmission...that front bellhousing, you can buy an adapter which adapts that trans to any chevy bolt pattern..... again, what I did on the FJ40. Tough little transmissions. GM and Toyota jointly developed it, thus parts are pretty available for it since it was put in everything from Celicas to Tacomas - also V6 Camaros. They're very similar to the Jeep AX15 (thus the adapter)
          Not positive but I think the AR5 is the 2WD version and the AW5 is for 4WD, as best as I could glean from the Interwebs. Anyhow, this one is definitely the 2WD version and a bolt-up, with the Solstice bell, to an Ecotec. I signed up for a Miata Ecotec forum (evidently that's a thing) and those guys have done a bunch of essentially the same swap I'll be doing. Which leads me to think that that's why GM no longer offers the Solstice bellhousing - I'm thinking the Miata guys bought them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

I have used this "Stuff" too !!
            Family Dollar if they ever get it in stock.....
            It was in a Black Plastic Bottle though.
            AND YES !! When done, Turn the spray selector too OFF !!!
            Some dribbled out, took the paint off my parts washer tank cover !!

Comment

I think we should start guessing on the project car . My guess , Saturn Sky
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Hey Dan, I have a Mini available that could be an awesome rwd car, with the driver in the rear seat area. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                  I think we should start guessing on the project car . My guess , Saturn Sky
                  Sorry Dan - you lose! Dave's closer - it IS from England. As mentioned, it's not in hand so I'm holding off telling y'all about it but I'm sure enough to start gathering up pieces.

Dave - won't work. Even if I coupled the trans output directly to the diff there still isn't enough length to properly fit a RWD drivetrain! You folks who haven't been around a REAL Mini - those things are tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Sorry Dan - you lose! Dave's closer - it IS from England. As mentioned, it's not in hand so I'm holding off telling y'all about it but I'm sure enough to start gathering up pieces.

Dave - won't work. Even if I coupled the trans output directly to the diff there still isn't enough length to properly fit a RWD drivetrain! You folks who haven't been around a REAL Mini - those things are tiny.
                    Now just a minute! I don't remember his name, but back in Michigan there was a gentleman who raced Minis who stuffed a 350 Chevy in one, with a manual transmission and full on independent suspension all around, without stretching the wheelbase. And he even used 15 rims with approximately 235 low profile tires. That beast was awesome!

And the best part was, he used the Mini drivetrain out of that one to build a pit vehicle for pulling his race Mini to and from pit lane to the paddock.

But if you have something else in mind, I guess that it'll be okay too... Just don't keep us guessing for very long!

Comment

I am guessing it's a roadster!

Rear wheel drive mini.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

Rear wheel drive mini.
                        That's crazy! C'mon Dan, you know you want to do one like that...

Comment

I can see Dan an ME cruising a topless British sports car around town!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

I can see Dan an ME cruising a topless British sports car around town!
                            BTW - Get ready for a fairly fresh T5 from our usual source. I won't need it so I'll pass it along. You'll have to come get it along with about 1/3 of the bits to make a Fox body - I have parts for you!

Comment

Rear wheel drive mini.
                              Ha! Dario is in/around the Calgary area, has his own shop (Infamous Racecraft), and builds some amazing stuff!! I met him one day a few years back, we had been down south to Red Deer for a swap meet, and stopped for fuel in Nisku (about a 5 min drive from the Edmonton Dragstrip). He had just left the track and was fueling up before heading south. That day, he had his 2.3L Turbo Pint on the trailer, which, IIRC was in the nines

Comment

Working...
                              X