Gathering Parts for New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dave - won't work. Even if I coupled the trans output directly to the diff there still isn't enough length to properly fit a RWD drivetrain! You folks who haven't been around a REAL Mini - those things are tiny.
    Buddy had a built rail type of rig. Center motor mounts, no tranny mount. 3 speed manual. Was bolted to the rear via a CV joint
    he practically sat on the rear end. Hadanother seat behind that. Looong in the front. So you CAN build something really short

Comment

BTW - Get ready for a fairly fresh T5 from our usual source. I won't need it so I'll pass it along. You'll have to come get it along with about 1/3 of the bits to make a Fox body - I have parts for you!
      Sounds good! I have been thinking I need to get my toes in the sand!
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          Thanks but no. I have a Main Component coming my way. Don't know if that's a lot for a Spitfire. Worked on those in my foreign car mechanic days and the swing axle rear end is not the best thing.
          Last edited by DanStokes; May 30, 2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks but no. I have a Main Component coming my way. Don't know if that's a lot for a Spitfire. Worked on those in my foreign car mechanic days and the swing axle rear end is not the best thing.
            That's why I attached the You Tube project video....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

SBG and I have been following that one . And that guy is Canadian , that's almost like a michigander ! It will all translate !
              Last edited by Dan Barlow; June 2, 2022, 08:42 PM.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I just bought an Ecotec LE5 (2.4L) out of an actual Solstice! And at a bargain price. We have a salvage yard near us that often meets or beats PnP (when he has the component) so I'm getting it pulled and put in the bed of the truck for less than me going out in the yard and pulling it myself. Sadly, the donor Solstice is an automatic as it would have been even simpler to get the whole drivetrain but that's not to be. I'll get the engine accessories including wiring harness, ECM, alternator, starter, etc. He can keep the flexplate!

Speaking of transmissions - I keep hearing that the Colorado trans w/Solstice bellhousing is a direct bolt-on to the LE5. But then I also hear it isn't. Some claim there's a (variously) 5mm spacer needed or a 19mm spacer needed. I'll find out when I get the bits here and slide 'em together.

Anyone have any insight on this?

If needed, I'll take the Atlas bellhousing down to our local waterjet place and have them pull a pattern off of it to make a spacer between the trans and the bellhousing. They've done this kind of thing for me in the past. Or maybe I can cut that section off the Atlas bell and have it machined to the right thickness. Stay tuned!
                Last edited by DanStokes; June 8, 2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

So now I have the Big Part. A shout out to Irving's Auto Parts in Leland NC, just over the bridge from us. They happened to have a wrecked Solstice (sadly, w/automatic) with 77K miles. He sold me the engine, wiring harness (which I may not use) and ECM for a song and now it's in the shop and on the engine stand. It's a 2006 LE5 Ecotec which means a non-turbo 2.4 liter packing 177 HP. Given that the engine that came in the subject car made 84 HP this should be pretty peppy. At some point a turbo or supercharger is not out of the question but I'll start with the stock LE5.

Pics: (several different views)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1320774
                  Any thought on aluminum jelly? At least we know the engine wasn't leaking much oil. The car had been sitting for 5+ years after it was wrecked and bought by Irvings so the non-oily aluminum started looking funky.

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	993.8 KB
ID:	1320775

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1,004.7 KB
ID:	1320776

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1320777

And a pic of what I call a "spool" so I can mount the engine from the side. I made the first one of these for the Mercedes back-up engine and it works great wile allowing access to the rear of the engine which I'll need to fit the clutch bits. Yeah, I know the welds ain't pretty but Dave G isn't here to do them nicely.

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	730.5 KB
ID:	1320778

Comment

BTW - Helkels (Loctite) no longer makes aluminum jelly - don't know why unless phosphoric acid is now a no-no. Anyhow, I bought some aluminum boat cleaner and I'll give that a shot as soon as I have time.

Comment

Now you have me googling car that came with 84 h.p. . Cause , I just like to figure things out before I'm supposed to .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It was something near that but 84 was what popped into my antique memory bank.

Comment

Hi Dan

Do you have a new summer race plan since the August Loring meet is cancelled?

- Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
                            Hi Dan

Do you have a new summer race plan since the August Loring meet is cancelled?

- Andy
                            Hi Andy! Hope all are well and content in your world. Bro Dave and I are going to the July Loring meet then I'm handing Mutt off to Lon's buddy Jake who has promised to keep him on the track. I'll come back from Maine with a new project car on the trailer - stay tuned to BS for details!

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

All fine thanks!

I'll be racing at Texas Motor Speedway the Loring weekend with my high school students and our solar-powered race car; it's a 24 hour endurance race spread over 4 days.

I may see Mutt in September then in Arkansas.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X