Can't get the small parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the small parts

So Red's clutch pedal went pow and disappeared at the stoplight up the road. I used the starter in 1st gear and drove him all the way home at 20 mph with the pissed of millennials lined up behind me.

The plastic thingy that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder broke. I was pulling my hair out doing searches for the part on the computer. I decided to print out a photo of the assembly diagram and take the part (with the broken part number on it) to the Ford dealership and say HERE. I was just about to go out the door when Sue Unit said, "Hey, look at this." She'd found the whole brake master cylinder with the needed part attached. Sold. Red's crew chief scores again!

In the meantime I can do some more YouTude mechanicin' to determine if replacing the brake master cylinder is within my (lack of) scope or do I steal the thingy off of the new one and keep on going. I got stuck in Red's floorboard just getting to the broken part and it's 100+ degrees out there with the heat index and Unit was in the shower and didn't even know I was out there and for a few moments I was pretty sure this is how it all ends, right here in the driveway hung underneath Red's pedals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Pedal Part 2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1320705
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I’m out here weeding the garden in the heat not too far from you PDub, I feel ya.

You were doing exactly the right thing with printing the diagram and bringing the old part with. That saves an insane amount of time and frustration when talking to the parts guy, especially if you don’t know the name of the part or it’s a little bastard like that one.

I’m glad Sue Unit is looking out for you. Probably a never ending task, and Keni would tell you the same about me.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

clevis is the word you were looking for.

You know, the right thing to do is pull into a Chevy dealership and trade Red for a Corvette. Just sayin'

and just so you won't say that I'm not helpful....

https://www.amazon.com/NICECNC-Perma.../dp/B07KXTL4S8

that's an updated part by a GM engineer it's even in red

Name:	tile._CB483369110_.gif
Views:	143
Size:	327 Bytes
ID:	1320709
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 15, 2022, 11:18 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

C'mon guys, you're hot rodders! Just make a new one that's unbreakable, and be done with it. So what if it costs 5 times as much as the oe part. And takes 3 months of your time. It's got to be done

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          clevis is the word you were looking for.
          Thank you Cletus! That's a cool trick, the fancy end. Patrick put up a video on FB about the task at hand and that guy's broken "clevis" looked exactly like mine. I mean, hey, he's got MY broken part, but I've still got mine so how can that be? Identical. Anyhow, the dude said he got one of those sexy ones like in your link and put it on there and in an hour the push rod going into the master cylinder broke. Sooooo it's obviously time for a whole new cylinder to be sure.

I'll wait and see what kind of end comes on the new one before I might get one of those sexy ones. It might have a more better end on it because Ford for sure saved a few bucks on that doomed to fail plastic one.

Comment

Y'all take a look at the diagram in the photo above. It looks for all the world like that rod doesn't go straight into the clevis. So maybe the clevis was meant to be marginally flexible to keep from snapping the push rod? What do y'all think about that? I just now saw that...

Comment

I can't imagine they'd want any flex there...? I'd want to have a look at the broken pushrod mentioned and figure out what happened, that don't sound right. I bought a Saturn (for me but the daughter wound up with it) with the same failure at a shifter cable end and made an aluminum part similar to that linked. For ten bucks that's a steal, it took me an hour to make it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                I For ten bucks that's a steal, it took me an hour to make it myself.
                Yep, I slept on it and ordered it this morning. Thanks for the link SBG!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Thank you Cletus! That's a cool trick, the fancy end. Patrick put up a video on FB about the task at hand and that guy's broken "clevis" looked exactly like mine. I mean, hey, he's got MY broken part, but I've still got mine so how can that be? Identical. Anyhow, the dude said he got one of those sexy ones like in your link and put it on there and in an hour the push rod going into the master cylinder broke. Sooooo it's obviously time for a whole new cylinder to be sure.

I'll wait and see what kind of end comes on the new one before I might get one of those sexy ones. It might have a more better end on it because Ford for sure saved a few bucks on that doomed to fail plastic one.
                  I swear that 90% of fixing cars is knowing that the hell they call the part. Add to those queen lovers and their utter refusal to use an American word.... it's an utter pain, now, where to find those door cards, err.. door panels.... merde. Thankfully the British haven't made anything useful or reliable since 1776 - so it's all fine. Bonnets... smh.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 16, 2022, 06:42 AM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I swear that 90% of fixing cars is knowing that the hell they call the part.
                    Yep, I definitely reckon so. The folks who are selling the one in your link called the rod end clevis round holey thingy a "bushing:"

"♥The "clutch rod mod" eliminates problems associated with the infamous plastic "Mickey Mouse" bushing located in the eye of the clutch master cylinder pushrod."

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                      So Red's clutch pedal went pow and disappeared at the stoplight up the road. I used the starter in 1st gear and drove him all the way home at 20 mph with the pissed of millennials lined up behind me.

The plastic thingy that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder broke. I was pulling my hair out doing searches for the part on the computer. I decided to print out a photo of the assembly diagram and take the part (with the broken part number on it) to the Ford dealership and say HERE. I was just about to go out the door when Sue Unit said, "Hey, look at this." She'd found the whole brake master cylinder with the needed part attached. Sold. Red's crew chief scores again!

In the meantime I can do some more YouTude mechanicin' to determine if replacing the brake master cylinder is within my (lack of) scope or do I steal the thingy off of the new one and keep on going. I got stuck in Red's floorboard just getting to the broken part and it's 100+ degrees out there with the heat index and Unit was in the shower and didn't even know I was out there and for a few moments I was pretty sure this is how it all ends, right here in the driveway hung underneath Red's pedals.

Name:	Clutch Pedal Part 2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1320705
                      Terrible way to go . Yeah, its burning up up here too . I wrote off any garage work this week . Then my young says he has no brakes on the fiero . .....I hate that car .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Terrible way to go . Yeah, its burning up up here too . I wrote off any garage work this week . Then my young says he has no brakes on the fiero . .....I hate that car .
                        Wish I could write off outside maintenance work in this heat as well... came in this morning to a 55 gallon gearbox oil flush and change with cleaning out the sump.... then to find out that the night shift neglected to mention that there was a flat tire on the haulage tugger... so, after lying on the ground(concrete) cursing it for about an hour, finally got it removed only to find that "SOMEONE" had clipped the valve stem by hitting something and left it sit overnight so the sidewall didn't want to seat on the bead....On good days, this is the best dam job (pun intended as I truly work on a dam) and on bad days, it can get really dam bad in a quick second! Been in here four hours, with 6 ;left to go!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

These are the days when I'm glad I left that paper machine. It could be snowing in the middle of the winter and we would still be in t-shirts.
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Not to change the subject or anything like that, but I'm now reminded that electrical connector plugs are SOB MFers, every damn one of them. And these are all in there upside down and hidden and also underneath/behind the pedals. *&^%$#@!....if/when I EVER get a single *&^%%$+#@ one of them apart I feel incredibly lucky, lottery lucky. Just sayin. Rant over. Now, what were we talking about?

Comment

Working...
                              X