• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day

Things I learned from my dad:
    - Don't have kids
    - he had to outrun dinosaurs
    - it snowed, year round, in California
    - while his elementary school was directly across the soccer field from his house, he had to walk it - uphill, both ways, in a foot of snow, barefoot.
    - He knows everything (well, except a few things that there is no statute of limitations - such as that dent).
    - He knows everything - just ask him
    - Who needs trade school? I learned how to bust my knuckles the old fashion way, but learning to dodge a wrench
    - Tape measures were rubber
    - Electricity flows across air gaps
    - Lug nuts don't tighten themselves
    - Always hurt your back the first day of a water ski vacation.
    - Don't back couch drive when your kid is driving... I swear, dad, I was avoiding the very thing you were seeing after all those pain meds...

Also.
    - Buicks are cool
    - Corvettes are fun
    - Racing is great if you don't get caught

And Happy Father's day to y'all out there
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 17, 2022, 07:29 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

You are ENTITLED TO MY OPINION !!

Comment

Dad had to show up in Minneapolis for his G.I. physical in the winter of, I believe, 1942...when he had just moved from there to Hollywood to be near Mom. They drove a ten-year-old Chevy which in those days was a used-up car all the way back, sharing the driving, through much snow, and the rear end had to be replaced partway along. Acted like it was nothing, had movie film (which I still possess) of the trip. He failed his testing due to some kind of lung issue from a childhood illness and went back to L.A. to work in factories. What story from my life would run like that, I don't know. He passed away a couple years ago at 98.

Me, I have been warned to "be around" Sunday by daughter, not sure what's up or how to feel about it. They had no Mother's Day this year, sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Me, I have been warned to "be around" Sunday by daughter, not sure what's up or how to feel about it. They had no Mother's Day this year, sigh.
        Be there. She's going to love on you one way or the other. I'd give a lot for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
          Dad had to show up in Minneapolis for his G.I. physical in the winter of, I believe, 1942...when he had just moved from there to Hollywood to be near Mom. They drove a ten-year-old Chevy which in those days was a used-up car all the way back, sharing the driving, through much snow, and the rear end had to be replaced partway along. Acted like it was nothing, had movie film (which I still possess) of the trip. He failed his testing due to some kind of lung issue from a childhood illness and went back to L.A. to work in factories. What story from my life would run like that, I don't know. He passed away a couple years ago at 98.

for a few years, I felt like I had to be twice the son because my brother died. Enjoy the moment, you know even better then most, nothing is guaranteed.

not to point out the obvious, your kid still has a mom, just as I still have a brother.... sure, it's 'only' memories now, but to quote some poem guy - it's better to have loved and lost then never love at all.

again, you were never their mom and someday, they'll be missing you too..... so be around, a lot.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 18, 2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

It's an on-going joke with my dad about his measuring ability (one which is, sadly, genetic).... so I bought him a tape measure, but wait, there's more.... it's a laser tape measure AND tape measure.... now he can argue with his tape measure

Comment

Happy Father's Day
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
              X