Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need

A kid asked if he "needed" some speed part.

Does the word "need" really mean anything? If it's cars, there are but two questions:

1) Does the part fit?
    2) Can I make it fit?

I believe the word "need" was created by spouses in a veiled attempt to tell you how to build your project.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

disagree. They use it to control your spending. "do you reeeeallllly need that?"
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I believe it's best to agree on a monthly amount of discretionary spending. It should be keep in cash or a separate account. Then it real easy, I don't tell you what to buy with your spending money, you don't get to tell me what I can buy with mine.

When I sold the Lighting she wanted to know what her cut was, I told her to get a hobby that has value.
      Last edited by Russell; June 22, 2022, 08:52 PM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        I believe it's best to agree on a monthly amount of discretionary spending. It should be keep in cash or a separate account. Then it real easy, I don't tell you what to buy with your spending money, you don't get to tell me what I can buy with mine.

When I sold the Lighting she wanted to know what her cut was, I told her to get a hobby that has value.
        lol... I can think of two, maybe three ways that could backfire....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

lol... I can think of two, maybe three ways that could backfire....
          It's no where near perfect. Most of our money is spent on family expenses. Having separate accounts and splitting expenses is not something I want to do. I have no desire to have a conversation every time I need or want something for the mustang. So having a set reoccurring amount works best for me. Just in case you are wondering she gets the same about.

I did spend some of the money on her in effort to keep the peace.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

It's no where near perfect. Most of our money is spent on family expenses. Having separate accounts and splitting expenses is not something I want to do. I have no desire to have a conversation every time I need or want something for the mustang. So having a set reoccurring amount works best for me. Just in case you are wondering she gets the same about.

I did spend some of the money on her in effort to keep the peace.
            I suppose that in that case, it'd work - though if she started contributing to the hobby fund in dollar bills; I may inquire about a few details.

Comment

Russell, buddy that is priceless , get yourself a profitable hobby ! When the $2750 vette got totaled for $9000 , $5500 off the top bought Blue 92 .$1800 for the vacation we took it on $700 bought it back from the insurance company , $600 went into the headed after the boy over heated it and the rest got absorbed into the family budget.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                Russell, buddy that is priceless , get yourself a profitable hobby ! When the $2750 vette got totaled for $9000 , $5500 off the top bought Blue 92 .$1800 for the vacation we took it on $700 bought it back from the insurance company , $600 went into the headed after the boy over heated it and the rest got absorbed into the family budget.
                The only way my hobby is profitable is my labor rate is $0/per project. There may be short term "profit" but overall it's loosing.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

The only way my hobby is profitable is my labor rate is $0/per project. There may be short term "profit" but overall it's loosing.
                  I'm okay with breaking even on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    A kid asked if he "needed" some speed part.

Does the word "need" really mean anything? If it's cars, there are but two questions:

1) Does the part fit?
                    2) Can I make it fit?

I believe the word "need" was created by spouses in a veiled attempt to tell you how to build your project.
                    The question was posed not so much as a matter of “need” for that particular part as gaining an understanding of the value of having it vs. the usefulness of that item and knowing it might likely be very rarely used. (& the “kid” is over 55).

In my particular case the wife doesn’t question if anything is “needed”, just wants to know what it’s used for. I’m free to buy whatever I want if it makes the car better. Example: “The car will handle much better with 17” wheels/tires than with the factory 15’s.” Her: “Ok”. Me: “They’ll cost about $1500.” Her. “Ok”

True that not everyone is in the same situation. She knows I enjoy the old cars, car shows & making my cars better. I know she likes spoiling the kids here and there & getting her hair/nails done regularly.
                    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                    79 Trans Am project
                    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Working...
                    X