Looking for a SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a SBC

I'm looking for a 350SBC. I'm think of something around 350-400hp.

I'd like to be able to upgrade in the future, so a good bottom end is important.

I'm thinking forged pistons, rods and crank, but I'm flexable.
    Aluminum heads would be nice but not mandatory. They could be upgraded later.

Anybody have a good source for an engine like this?

I googled it but there are to many choices.
    Cognizant Dissident

Re: Looking for a SBC

Hey Dave..
    Your right! there are too many choices...
    The problem with your question is that there are too many variables that you left out for anyone to give you a good answer!!

-Price range?
    -Warranty?
    -Location/shiipping?
    -Pieces-build yourself/carb to pan?
    -Carb/EFI?

Good Luck;
    Dan

Comment

It will definately be a carb.

I would prefer assembled carb to pan, but I could assemble if the price was right. Probably no warrenty if I do the work, but otherwise it would be nice.
      Shipping isn't importent, but assembled to San Antonio, pieces to Detroit.

Pricing is a good question. I'll say $5000, but I will look at stuff on either side of that. Obviously less is better, but I need a good bottom end.

It will be going in an 86 Camaro for a young gear head. He's pretty mechanical so he can upgrade the performance as he gets older. Cast iron heads and flat tappets would probably be fine.

Thanks for any help I can get.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

If its going to be for a young gear head I'd keep the HP down for a while. Scoggin Dicky will deliver straight to your door and you get a waranty. I would suggest this one. It's a bullit proof setup. http://www.sdparts.com/product/12496...eAssembly.aspx

Comment

$5000 :o don't you a good machine shop around?

Comment

I know a guy who bought from here: http://www.phoenixengine.com/ and was quite pleased. I think he had to go pick it up, but you can probably work something out with the shipping. He got one of the 350's minus accessories in the 2k range. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

For a starter motor, why not go with a Goodwrench short block and build your own top end. Trick Flow makes some nice top end kits. Or piece it together with swap meet deals and build from there. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
                For a starter motor, why not go with a Goodwrench short block and build your own top end. Trick Flow makes some nice top end kits. Or piece it together with swap meet deals and build from there. Just my .02
                I'm thinking that might be a good way to go. That way he can assemble the rest himself.A little more feling of accomp;ishment on his part.
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
                  Originally posted by smallblockjay
                  I'm thinking that might be a good way to go. That way he can assemble the rest himself.A little more feling of accomp;ishment on his part.
                  That was my thought, and a good quality short block at that.

Comment

STD

A good wrench is a good budget piece for sure.

If you want something a little more special, short or long block,
                    feel free to call the shop and ask for me. We could make you a
                    nice custom piece.

Comment

Working...
                    X