No announcement yet.

I got to hold a fully grown hawk today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got to hold a fully grown hawk today.

We’re taking him to a licensed wildlife rehab guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E976A0C3-A4A9-4A06-B9DA-9DB9774AB511.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1322176
    I'm probably wrong

Name:	5FE9623A-4A9A-42F6-AFFD-8F8ABEBBEC35.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	1322178 Posting from my phone so Please be patient.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Name:	0CB05A36-372B-46AC-BCF3-4E7941DD1339.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	1322180

He’s amazingly light!
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

The whole time I’m whispering “please don’t rip my face off, please don’t rip my face off…” under my breath.

Name:	D774A98E-29BD-42C4-AC84-992DEF7442A9.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	1322182
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

What happened to him/her (I can't tell the difference). Hit by a car? Sure hope it heals up and removes more vermin from the wild. And good on you for taking care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            What happened to him/her (I can't tell the difference). Hit by a car? Sure hope it heals up and removes more vermin from the wild. And good on you for taking care of it.
            No clue what happened, but probably was hit by a car. Both wings work, he can walk just fine, just in a daze. He’s been chilling in a box in our garage for a few hours now and has made no attempt to even get out.

the damn thing has a 4+ foot wingspan. It looks a hell of a lot bigger in our garage than it did standing in the road. He’s REALLY intimidating to be close to.

We’re still waiting on the wildlife rehab guy. At this point I’m thinking Keni and I might have a pet.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Been trying to figure out exactly what flavor of hawk my new friend is, and I’m almost positive he’s a juvenile red tailed hawk.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

So cool that you helped it. It does look like a Red Tail. We have Red Shoulder hawks in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  So cool that you helped it. It does look like a Red Tail. We have Red Shoulder hawks in Florida.
                  I've got a thick National Geographic Complete Birds of North America that I've been going through. The juvenile red tail in it is almost a dead on match for size, color, markings, wingspan, and tail size/shape. I'll put pictures of them up when I can resize them. My phone's resolution is way too high to make the 2mb maximum size, so everything I post has to be edited.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Finally got the bird to the rehab guy. It’s a second year juvenile red tail, next year the full adult coloration will come in. Almost certainly got smacked by a car and got its bell rung. Slightly emaciated so it’s been having trouble getting food for whatever reason. He was in decent health, so it didn’t look like anything was critical. He’s going to nurse it back for a week or so then release it if it’s healthy enough at that point.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Excellent !!!
                      Good Job on the Rescue

Comment

Unfortunately the poor guy didn't make it through that night. This was an unreal experience and I really wanted to watch him fly off into the sky and continue his life, but it was not meant to be.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

BUMMER !! ​​​​​

Comment

You did your best! It's a shame that he didn't make it. I can't imagine picking up a hawk, even a juvenile one. Those claws looked serious!

Comment

They were, but it was almost impossible to take my eyes off that beak. I was expecting to be torn to shreds at any moment.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X