Clear All

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    I've got no idea about reliability on these but I've always wanted one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1999-cadillac-eldorado-1323203-9497611.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	1325349
    They're up there on my list of "would love to own if the maintenance didn't kill me" cars with the C140 S600/CL600!

That LeSabre has it's hooks in me. The naysayer is talking about the doors in parking lots...
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

We had a '91 El Dorado. 305, not the Northstar, but it would still try to change lanes if you nailed it.
      Loved it.
      Small pickup: Toyota SR-5. R22 engine is like a Chevy 235....bulletproof.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; August 30, 2022, 07:13 PM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        IIRC, those have the Northstar V8. They had some endemic problems but the hot rod world came up with permanent fixes making for a nifty engine.
        Have heard the starter/alt. is problematic for R/R. The engines are good as far as I know, They are similar to Oldsmobile Aurora V8 which I believe is 2 Quad 4s paired together? Very sure the weak link of a Northstar id the trans.

Comment

Personal BOLO !!!
          ​​​​​​1/2 YEAR 1979 THRU 1981 Lincoln Mark VII "4 DOOR!!" with All the Bells and Whistles.
          prefer Black . Bird's Egg Blue deal killer !!

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post

Have heard the starter/alt. is problematic for R/R. The engines are good as far as I know, They are similar to Oldsmobile Aurora V8 which I believe is 2 Quad 4s paired together? Very sure the weak link of a Northstar id the trans.
            uh no. I'll cut and paste
            However, the complexity of Northstar engines meant they quickly became notorious for head gasket failures. And with the 'Northstar Condition' affecting Northstar engines from 1993-2005, many owners can quickly find themselves facing costly repairs if these issues aren't fixed quickly.

in short, every Northstar motor eventually eats its head gasket.... all of them. There are fixes, but it's so expensive that the problem sends most to the junkyard
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 1, 2022, 07:07 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

uh no. I'll cut and paste
              However, the complexity of Northstar engines meant they quickly became notorious for head gasket failures. And with the 'Northstar Condition' affecting Northstar engines from 1993-2005, many owners can quickly find themselves facing costly repairs if these issues aren't fixed quickly.

in short, every Northstar motor eventually eats its head gasket.... all of them. There are fixes, but it's so expensive that the problem sends most to the junkyard
              I'll add to this. When you have to do head gaskets on the FWD Northstars, often times the threads in the block come out with the head bolts. The dealers had a Kent more J-tool for drilling out the holes and installing threaded inserts. Some aftermarket places have reproduced the drilling fixtures. when Cadillac went to RWD with the Northstar, they also extended the head bolts to get a better bite in the block. If you look up headbolts for say a 2007 STS and for a 2002 Seville on rock auto, you will see the difference. Many dealers will just quote a price for a new replacement engine when they are overheating.

The 4T80 transmission on the other hand is a beast. Since the northstar had the starter in the V of the block though, that meant there were no starter provisions on the trans. People have come up with creative ways to work around that. The dude with the turbo LS4 Monte Carlo uses this trans successfully. He also worked with Moroso to design an oil pan for mounting the starter under the engine. If it wasn't $$$ I'd have the pan on my build. What I'm getting at is find an ETC Eldorado that needs an engine for $1k and put an LS4 in it and keep the transmission. That's certainly one I'd like to do one day.

Comment

I never claimed to be a Northstar expert, just worked with a guy who's wife had one. Well according to him it was a POS. First problem was the starter. Like any old school mechanic he put it on ramps and couldn't find it. A little research and oh what a PITA. Then the trans went and he continued to have trans problems? I don't know shit about the 4T80s previously mentioned. Shortly after the starter problem he drove it to work. Everyone was looking at it and I noticed it was not a true white Cadillac. It was if fact a Mary Kay PINK Caddy. This is the humor in the story cause he never lived it down. Lots of random Aretha Franklin Pink Cadillac playing after that finding.

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
                  I never claimed to be a Northstar expert, just worked with a guy who's wife had one. Well according to him it was a POS. First problem was the starter. Like any old school mechanic he put it on ramps and couldn't find it. A little research and oh what a PITA. Then the trans went and he continued to have trans problems? I don't know shit about the 4T80s previously mentioned. Shortly after the starter problem he drove it to work. Everyone was looking at it and I noticed it was not a true white Cadillac. It was if fact a Mary Kay PINK Caddy. This is the humor in the story cause he never lived it down. Lots of random Aretha Franklin Pink Cadillac playing after that finding.
                  my brother in law has one, I've yet to say even one word about what is written here....

he, also, never asked my opinion prior to purchasing the car - just whether or not I liked it. I do, and told him as much. But glad it's not mine.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 3, 2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Just found a reason to really dislike the LeSabre coupe... seatbelts mounted in the doors!
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                      Just found a reason to really dislike the LeSabre coupe... seatbelts mounted in the doors!
                      you haven't lived until you've been strangled by the motorized shoulder harness of a Ford Tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                        I've got no idea about reliability on these but I've always wanted one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1999-cadillac-eldorado-1323203-9497611.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	1325349
                        A coworker had one of these back in the the middle of the first decade of the new millennium, when the struts (air ride, IIRC) went out, it was ~ $1300 ea plus labour to replace them. But I think that the aftermarket may have come up with some more reasonably priced solutions since then........

**On a sidenote, back in the later 90's, my bro showed up in town for a service call, and the rental they gave him was a 4 door FWD Caddy with the Northstar. That thing would convert tires into smoke No Problem Unlike the I-4 powered Taurus they gave him on another visit! lol

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

you haven't lived until you've been strangled by the motorized shoulder harness of a Ford Tempo.
                          Actually councilor, my first car was a 92 'empo (the 'T' had fallen off).
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

One of the Few GM cars that I Owned was a Early 80's Cavalier Wagon.
                            I used a Heat Gun, removed the Bowtie Emblem, and the Cavalier Lettering......
                            Junk Yard salvaged some Volvo Badges, and Did some Upgrade "Badge Engineering" of my own !!!

That car was eventually taken back by the Dealer,
                            Offered to a Trade In on Any Car in the Lot, just so the Service Department didn't have to mess with it anymore !!!
                            It had a Stray Voltage Problem that they Never Figured Out.

We took a Toyota Corolla Wagon, from their, Sister Dealership next door.......

Comment

Been thinking about a sidebar to this general idea. Ugly yet good cars.
                              Stuff like the Aztek, early 2010's Lincoln MKT, Saturn L series...

Sitting in the middle is perhaps the Buick Rendezvous, better than a Aztek but still a bit weird.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It's great to hear that you're looking for a unique and reliable car for your grad school commute and your son's first car. Given your preference for GM and your interest in a car that's not too common on the road, I have a few recommendations that may fit the bill:

Pontiac Vibe: This car was produced from 2002 to 2010 and was a joint venture between GM and Toyota. It has a reliable Toyota engine and shares many components with the Toyota Matrix. The Vibe is known for its practicality, reliability, and affordability.

Saturn S-Series: These compact cars were produced from 1991 to 2002 and are known for their durability and easy maintenance. The S-Series has a loyal following and a strong community of enthusiasts, making parts and repairs easy to come by.

Oldsmobile Aurora: This luxury sedan was produced from 1995 to 2003 and features a stylish design and a smooth ride. The Aurora is powered by a reliable V6 engine and has a solid reputation for reliability.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo: This coupe was produced from 1970 to 2007 and has a classic American muscle car design. The Monte Carlo has a loyal following and is still popular among car enthusiasts. It is also known for its reliability and easy maintenance.

Buick Roadmaster: This full-size wagon was produced from 1991 to 1996 and features a classic, boxy design. The Roadmaster has a spacious interior, a smooth ride, and a powerful V8 engine. It is also known for its durability and easy maintenance.​

Comment

Working...
                                X