Oxymoronic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxymoronic?

I'm heading out to the shop in clean grubbies.

Let's break that word down. Oxy- from the Greek: oxus or sharp. Moron- from the Greek: moros (with a line over the 1st o) foolish. What have we learned? That I have too much time on my hands... no wait, we have learned something. That it is sharply foolish to head out to the garage and try to stay clean. Besides I need to use all of the Greek stuff I learned in a couple of courses on ancient Greece and all the engineering courses that forced the Greek alphabet on us.

Moving on...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      I'm heading out to the shop in clean grubbies.
      What the heck are "grubbies" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

What the heck are "grubbies" ?

The clothes that have moved down the "food chain" such that they are now only worn in the shop and if they get too screwed up you just toss them. The tossing accounts for the ultimate demise of my T-shirts once they get really grubby (like when you pull an unwashed engine) or accumulate holes.

Comment

Some shop work requires clean grubbies.... painting , polishing , bodywork....etc....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Steve surprised me. I thought ALL car guys had a stash of grubbles unless you work for a shop and therefore have work uniforms.

Any other shop related oxymorons? I'm thinking of stuff like "cheap engine build" - like that.

Comment

I'm just wondering where the line is between 'grubbies' and 'goin' to town' clothes...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

going to town clothes are one quick shop visit from being grubbies

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Steve surprised me. I thought ALL car guys had a stash of grubbles.
                  We've always just called them "work" clothes.

Comment

That's what I call them. There are several categories of work clothes, too.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Those of us forced to still have day jobs work clothes are the nice ones. Normally call my grubbies shop clothes.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

My takeaway from all of this is that "grubbies" must be a Yankee word. Or perhaps just a niche coined word because I spent a lot of months working in Michigan and never heard that word. Well, I've never heard it anywhere until now, right here on BS. And why do they call it a coined word anyhow? Now I'm gonna have to go look that up, the cultural history of the coined word "coined," as used to describe a word or phrase.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I'm just wondering where the line is between 'grubbies' and 'goin' to town' clothes...
                          I have "Shop Clothes".......

And "Going to Town Clothes" out here in AREA BFE
                          of the Iron Triangle of Wisconsin......
                          Depends on WHERE You are Going in Town?......

I have been GIVEN a Dollar by the Homeless Guy out front
                          Before going into the Parts Store.......

Comment

I call them "clothes my wife will not be seen in public with me wearing them"

this also informs why I've never pursued a career in film - my clothes are only good for one thing but I'm not good enough at that for it to be a consideration.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 5, 2022, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post

I have "Shop Clothes".......

And "Going to Town Clothes" out here in AREA BFE
                              of the Iron Triangle of Wisconsin......
                              Depends on WHERE You are Going in Town?......

I have been GIVEN a Dollar by the Homeless Guy out front
                              Before going into the Parts Store.......
                              Dude, I've seen your racing clothes and suggest that my wife wouldn't even let me work in the shop in them.....

Comment

Working...
                              X