X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I have now upgraded to Prison Orange with a matching set for Willow. Those tyvek suites were sauna like.
    I love it when couples dress alike- especially in prison orange - work release casual.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

I think this is the best description of grubbies . I really don't remember what I call them . I asked my wife and she said I call them that . But once they are to that state , I don't wash them anymore. I will probably put them on again till the nasty job at hand is done. Like automatic transmission replacement. Then they are known a burn pile starters .
    Yep.....
    Those and A Tire or Two..
    Will get Any Damp/ Green Tree Brush Pile to Start !!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post

When they become too stained or threadbare to be "day job work" or going to town clothes. Then they are grubbies
    I think this is the best description of grubbies . I really don't remember what I call them . I asked my wife and she said I call them that . But once they are to that state , I don't wash them anymore. I will probably put them on again till the nasty job at hand is done. Like automatic transmission replacement. Then they are known a burn pile starters .

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
    I've seen you more than once in white jumpers protecting your Jimmy Buffett approved Hawaiian shirts doing surgery on a Ford.
    I have now upgraded to Prison Orange with a matching set for Willow. Those tyvek suites were sauna like.

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    going to town clothes are one quick shop visit from being grubbies
    I've seen you more than once in white jumpers protecting your Jimmy Buffett approved Hawaiian shirts doing surgery on a Ford.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the question isn't whether or not we have grubbies, the question is where is the line where they become grubbies....
    When they become too stained or threadbare to be "day job work" or going to town clothes. Then they are grubbies

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Those of us forced to still have day jobs work clothes are the nice ones. Normally call my grubbies shop clothes.
    the question isn't whether or not we have grubbies, the question is where is the line where they become grubbies....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

I have "Shop Clothes".......

And "Going to Town Clothes" out here in AREA BFE
    of the Iron Triangle of Wisconsin......
    Depends on WHERE You are Going in Town?......

I have been GIVEN a Dollar by the Homeless Guy out front
    Before going into the Parts Store.......
    Dude, I've seen your racing clothes and suggest that my wife wouldn't even let me work in the shop in them.....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post

We've always just called them "work" clothes.
    I call them "clothes my wife will not be seen in public with me wearing them"

this also informs why I've never pursued a career in film - my clothes are only good for one thing but I'm not good enough at that for it to be a consideration.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 5, 2022, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I'm just wondering where the line is between 'grubbies' and 'goin' to town' clothes...
    I have "Shop Clothes".......

And "Going to Town Clothes" out here in AREA BFE
    of the Iron Triangle of Wisconsin......
    Depends on WHERE You are Going in Town?......

I have been GIVEN a Dollar by the Homeless Guy out front
    Before going into the Parts Store.......

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    My takeaway from all of this is that "grubbies" must be a Yankee word. Or perhaps just a niche coined word because I spent a lot of months working in Michigan and never heard that word. Well, I've never heard it anywhere until now, right here on BS. And why do they call it a coined word anyhow? Now I'm gonna have to go look that up, the cultural history of the coined word "coined," as used to describe a word or phrase.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Those of us forced to still have day jobs work clothes are the nice ones. Normally call my grubbies shop clothes.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post

That's what I call them. There are several categories of work clothes, too.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Steve surprised me. I thought ALL car guys had a stash of grubbles.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    going to town clothes are one quick shop visit from being grubbies

Leave a comment:

Working...
X