Garage door mods/upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door mods/upgrades?

Guys, can any of you point me towards a source for info on how to repair or upgrade my old roll-up garage door so that dust doesn't continue to leak in around it during windy days? I can't just have the whole thing replaced right now, so I'm motivated to rectify the problem while I am totally revamping the rest of the garage with new lighting (damn you, P) and other additions like shelving, workbench space, etc. Thanks.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

I don't know how to fix the door but when you're ready for work space I'm ready to brag about the space saving fold-down work table I built based on a video Patrick posted some years ago. And you're welcome, I'm always glad to spend other people's money on lighting.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

See if you can contact Gene Stauffer (I think I have his last name right), old time BSer and the garage door guru. He works for a major garage door company and knows a pretty much everything about them.

Comment

Thanks, Dan!

Comment

Do you have side and top weather stripping?
          Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

No, but I can get some. Hardware store across the street. Suggestions on size, type, or brand? Inside or outside?

Comment

Right now the only light in the place is a 200 watt floodlight bulb. Far away from the garage door.

With the garage door open... Using one of the 1000 lumen lamps on a tripod. You can see the unused one on the left.

Now I can the writing on the boxes and what's in them using the single 1000 lumen lamp.

I have not hung the pair of 5000 lumen shop lights yet, but they will really brighten up the place.

Last edited by studemax; September 11, 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Late to the party, and, not your local store, but, this is what I like on my doors: https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...7700/205021160
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The website isn't clear - inside or outside, and mounted with screws, nails, glue?

Comment

Outside with screws to the doorframe around the perimeter.... I will try to send an image:Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	122
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1325976

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

try these for your e26 edison base fixtures....
                      https://www.amazon.com/AC110-277V-Re...1Q1RJRklNNEJIJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTc5MDUyN0hBSjMxRENYT0ZZJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0ODAyMzUyMjIxRk5YNlVEOTNGJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

They look interesting, but I've already got over $100 invested in new lighting, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          Late to the party, and, not your local store, but, this is what I like on my doors: https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...7700/205021160
                          This is what I have on my doors and works like advertised.

Comment

Another happy customer!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              See if you can contact Gene Stauffer (I think I have his last name right), old time BSer and the garage door guru. He works for a major garage door company and knows a pretty much everything about them.
                              I second this. his screen name was Schauffer. He sold me a spring for my door when it broke years ago. I talked to him for a few minutes and learned a lot about garage doors and the different insulation levels. I have his office number still in my PMs sense he PMed it to me I don't want to post it. Message me if you would like me to send it to you.

He was last logged on in January 2021 not sure if he get email notifications or not. Schauffer
                              Last edited by Russell; September 12, 2022, 06:27 AM.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X