No announcement yet.

Garage door mods/upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lights are hung. Now it's BRIGHT in there. Ignore the flash reflection on the doors. See how the doors aren't so red anymore?

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      New lights are hung. Now it's BRIGHT in there. Ignore the flash reflection on the doors. See how the doors aren't so red anymore?
      When you make all the walls be as bright as that flash reflection is, then you'll have nearly enough lights. There's no such thing as too many lights, there can't be. Just sayin'.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

A wife ago I had a sister-in-law who had a PhD in lighting (yes, there is such a thing). She came into my shop and proclaimed that it was lit like an operating room. I said "Precisely!"

Comment

Okay, I have some shrouding to keep the dust out. It's not installed just yet. I'm almost done with most of the mods. I need to paint the closet doors yet. NOW - I want to be able to hang plastic trash sacks full of foam peanuts and bubble wrap from the ceiling that I can control up/down with ropes. Weight is not the issue, just access. I want to use all the 3D space in the garage as I can... I'm already starting to refer to it as "my shop", not "the garage".

Saturday I built a 6 foot long rolling double decker cabinet for the kitchen to fit under the 16 inch deep counter along the island where the stovetop, Crockpots, toaster oven, and blender live. Dad used to have stacks of boxes under the counter to keep his old bills. I wanted to be able to sweep up the dust bunnies once in awhile without bending over so much. Now it just rolls out... rolls back. So easy. Should have done it years ago.

Comment

I'll remind you of my universal shop trick. Assuming you don't want to go all the way with insulation and drywall or plywood or some such paneling you can line the shop in that aluminum foil covered foam board. Even if you only do the ceiling it make a HUGE difference and the foil reflects light really well. If you want access to the overhead you can make 1 or more panels removable. Fasten them up with the nails with a plastic patch under the head so the nails won't pull thru. I taped over all the nail heads with the foil tape and used the same stuff on the seams.

Comment

Okay, Dan - something to chew on. Never thought about that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                Okay, Dan - something to chew on. Never thought about that stuff.
                I used it in a shop I had and it made an unbelievable difference in heating the space. Since then I've recommended it to others and they've had similar success. With my advancing age I've been trying to find someone to do my current shop but so far no luck.

Comment

On a rented house with a two car garage on a Job in Iowa,
                  I bought 2 rolls of "Tyvec" House Wrap. It is White, wind and Moisture Proof. Lined the inside of the entire garage, including the ceiling. Just stapled it in.
                  That White just Lit Up the entire space, even with the 60 watt Incandescent light bulbs. And with a small LP "Sunflower Heater" (a job site surplus find....he he) warmed it up to 60° in no time.... Even without any insulation behind the Tyvec, it stayed warm, and you could idle back the heater.

BUT That Concrete Floor was Still Frozen, do we were using Harbor Freight moving Blankets to lay on for under car work.

Rebuilt the Timber Cruiser's Transmission on the winter Lay Up in that Garage.....

Comment

Well, my budget has really taken a hit... 2 weeks ago the van needed new front tires and suspension parts, and now the fuel system has failed and is running super rich. That's another $800, so I guess any further work out there will have to wait until next year. I ain't made of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X