Vendor's websites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor's websites...

What's with vendors these days? If you look something up, say for instance you want to get a crank, rods and pistons, it takes either paging through an ungodly amount of stuff, or going through their filters menus. Which I have had a lot of problems with. It seems that every time I set one filter, it clears all of the other ones that I just set.

I'm thinking that I will have to call them to get the information I want, but that's going to take at least 3 calls to start. Then recall to the one that has whatI am after.

Remember the days when you just went to the local speed shop, and the person behind the counter shuffled thru his catalogs? And you got the stuff in a week or so? Even if you had to wait 2 weeks?

Progress, right?

Still got one of those shops here.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have that problem on the Jegs site. I've resorted to finding the manufacture's part number that I need and cross shopping that way. Then there's the fun of finding who actually has what I need in stock...

Comment

I like Jeg's but the Summit site seems to work better and if I get too frustrated w/Jeg's I'll switch over there.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          I like Jeg's but the Summit site seems to work better and if I get too frustrated w/Jeg's I'll switch over there.
          yeah, but the problem with Summit now, is they cut back your order history to 18 months. If you are looking for something you bought longer ago than that, you have to call them to get the part numbers. I have no idea why they would want to do that, maybe something to do with server strain? who knows, all I know is it sucks. Jegs lets me go back years.

Yeah, I know, you should know your part numbers, or keep your own records, but when you have trusted something for years, you do not expect it to change. Right now the only reason I use Summit is if Jegs or Speedway says the part is out of stock and for some reason Summit has it.
          Last edited by anotheridiot; September 13, 2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I dunno, I think you may have forgotten all the times when you had to argue with the parts person to get the part you wanted "THAT WON'T FIT" was the refrain of the day.... and "back when I had horses, we never used those newfangled forged pistons" and finally, "if valves were meant to be in the head, Henry Ford would have made it that way".... yeah, good times. My favorite, of course, was even if you got them to order it, it would be the wrong part and your fault (even though it wasn't your fat fingers that wrote out the order).... I accept when it's my fault but I've had far better luck finding a part on the computer then I ever did an ex-burger-flipper (dino-burger-flipper)

and my absolute favorite, you finally get them to order the part you want and it's right - the next time you show up, they loudly proclaim how they taught that kid a thing or two about 'hotrodding'....

good times, can't wait until I'm old enough to forget that crap
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2022, 08:22 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just wanted a set of studs for aftermarket main caps with no listed application for the brand, I had to contact ARP because nowhere in their material could I find a simple thing like the length of the bolts they sell. ??? Couldn't they just make a list of fasteners and sizes and not have that be a State Secret? The salesman knew instantly what kit number to order, but I would have never been able to find it out without opening boxes and measuring, myself. I do miss catalogs where you can scan through hundreds of items in moments, find what you're looking for and maybe come across things you hadn't thought of as well. I "get" the process of filtering down layer-by-layer but when you're not sure how what you want correlates to what is available it can be an awkward, time-consuming process. You, Summit. These days I don't buy much but usually won't go there until I have found part numbers elsewhere to get me started.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                I just wanted a set of studs for aftermarket main caps with no listed application for the brand, I had to contact ARP because nowhere in their material could I find a simple thing like the length of the bolts they sell. ??? Couldn't they just make a list of fasteners and sizes and not have that be a State Secret? The salesman knew instantly what kit number to order, but I would have never been able to find it out without opening boxes and measuring, myself. I do miss catalogs where you can scan through hundreds of items in moments, find what you're looking for and maybe come across things you hadn't thought of as well. I "get" the process of filtering down layer-by-layer but when you're not sure how what you want correlates to what is available it can be an awkward, time-consuming process. You, Summit. These days I don't buy much but usually won't go there until I have found part numbers elsewhere to get me started.
                Exactly what I keep experiencing. Drill down, and then the website for some inexplicable reason resets and I get to start over...

WRT keeping track of part numbers for later reorder, I've been bitten by bugs there too. Changing parts numbers for no obvious reason. I've got notebooks from 35-40 years ago, with notes about everything (I actually have a good memory, but find I can clear memory space by writing stuff down), including things about Dan in Ann Arbor ... but we won't go there. I don't have an answer, just have to vent!

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  I know Jegs and Summit do not even care when their pictures are not of the part you are ordering.

Comment

So yesterday, after two weeks of procrastinating I try to get the other DD401 QA1 Shock. This is the shock that came apart in the rear end earlier in the year. We just noticed the nut came off, did not think twice about it. Found a place a few hours away to sell me the rebuilding parts, put it back together, but it still leaked. Took it apart again last week and thought to change all the seals this time not just the ones on the top and it still is not work ing right. So, whatever, we only have 4 weeks to drive probably, try to buy the shock, its too late for NDA. Go to JEGS site, checkout, it says orders must be in before 7ET, then next page, it says in BOLD LETTERING, Orders placed after 9ET will not get shipped til the next business day. Two weeks ago we ordered on a wednesday, chose NDA since it was right before Labor day and wanted to guarantee parts. We had to talk to the robots at Fed EX all day and finally got the package at 7PM. So I called, she says, it will ship today. So I say, can you put the order in since you said it will ship today, I dont want the order sitting in an inbox that nobody is going to check. When it comes time to give the CC#,I said, you are sure it will ship today, she says yes, puts me on hold, then says no.

Now I am fine, its my fault, but when you put two claims on a website and one is in bold print, but neither one is accurate, what are you supposed to do?

Comment

parts in stock - yeah, that's a phone call. Never trust the site

Comment

And now you all know why I dislike computers People trust a computer as if it spoke the word of god. In actuality, it's only speaking in zeros and ones. And it was idiots like me that put in those zeros and ones . I prefer analog. Like Joe Walsh's song, "Analog Man", the whole world's living in a digital dream...

Oh well I'm much better now

Comment

well, looking to switch brands, decided to go with QA1, just single adjustable and never take them apart again. Summit had 1 in stock. Who stocks one shock? Jegs has been iffy, thought of this thread and went to Speedway, paid the 7.28 upcharge and they were here in 1 day.
                          I guess everything goes on as cycles

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Oh well I'm much better now

what is that saying about self-diagnosis?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

what is that saying about self-diagnosis?
                              We're all sick people! We're all feeling better now...

Comment

Working...
                              X