READ THIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: READ THIS!

the actual placement of weight is what I find fascinating... it's almost always best just forward of the rear wheel however some cars... like it in the very back while others simply want to be heavy all the way around...

It really does vary based on the lift and drag numbers of the individual car...

K

Comment

I suppose the weight distribution is also interacting with the center of pressure on the car and the yaw moment. I recall DG mentioning certain aero aids the Stude' is allowed so that it keeps the nose ahead of the ass end. All of these factors are interelated which is why the guys who do their homework, test and keep track of waht they do and the results rise to the top.

As to rings, Total Seal has become a full service ring manufacturer and as such a lot of people are running that brand, but not the two piece top ring that made the company famous. TF cars mostly run dykes rings in order to get as much radial loading as they can. Are there contingency payouts for LSR?

As before, read the very informative article in the current HRM for a run down.

For my current deal which is targeted at 900 NA and up to 400 more with spray with a two stage vacuum pump, we are using a single piece top ring of undisclosed specifications and a Napier style second.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill, I assume you're running a sealed engine given the amount of vacuum and the use of the vacuum break. True?? Do you use oil squirters?

Comment

No Money... unless you could that cup of Coffee you get in Bendover for 3 bucks...

K

Comment

We went to the $2.99 breakfast at the red garter. But you're right I think you double the cost if you buy coffee.

Comment

I have never seen Turk drink coffee, but I know where to find a diet coke when I want one.

As to all sealed up for the vacuum deal, yes it is, although all that means is a one piece oil pan gasket, Earl's pressure Master gaskets for the valve covers and double o-ring dip stick set-up from Lokar, oh and the special seal for the Danny Bee belt drive.

It occurs to me that I should do some kind of reverse leak down test but that might be depressing if the motor is a sieve in terms of holding internal vacuum and all these fancy parts are a waste of time.

Must be time for a bigger cam. :D
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

They charge the same amount for Diet Coke....

Hey Bill... you coming to Drag week???

I'll check out this situation for you.... I've got a ton of experience playing with Vacuum... ( My Business has heavy into molding ) Oh and your exactly right about Vacuum sucking Water vapor out of the air... amazing stuff...

K

Comment

You should have seen the water traps we had on the Sargent-Welch high vacuum pumps we had on our NoX analyzers. A constant maintenance headache - and man, did they stink! Horiba invented atmospheric NoX analyzers, much to the relief of all.

On the overpriced Diet Coke - do you think we could sneak in our own? Had dinner at the Red Garter and it wasn't bad - and relatively cheap.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                    Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    (1) smaller tire footprint is MORE traction, not less, because it increases pounds per square inch of contact area. THe coefficient of friction on salt is so much less than on pavement, there's apparently not muich to gain by increasing contact patch
                    Bingo! Same reason fat tires suck in snow and ice. It's the increased pounds per square inch ruling here.
                    however, it should be noted that the Langlo guys, in a 3rd gen camaro with a Procharged 500 inch Hemi, went over 280mph on FAT drag racing rear tires... that car weighs something like 7000 lbs too.
                    Just to add to this topic. Our car uses Goodyear 2222's that has a 10 inch footprint. We have never had any problems in high gear with wheel spin.(yes we did spin out at speed week 09 in 2nd gear) Our car puts out over 2300 hp at the rear wheel, and weights 4800 pounds. Our weight distribution is 65% rear and 35 front and yes every car can be different. We had a best time ever in the first mile at 285mph, so we are hooking up. The Leggit Firebird may have gone faster in the first mile than us, but no else has; and we run on gas. The Leggit firebird weighed around 7000lbs and put out much more HP than us I'm sure. I too congradulated Gary in impound I wish I had met you too, but you guys were thrashing. Hope Gary gets that hat soon.

Comment

two ways of going through the snow, narrow tire or wide, aired down tire..... however, snow and ice without airing down is pretty dumb.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Salt is not ice; on ice the tire slip. On salt the salt slips on itself not the tire. :o

Comment

Working...
                        X