Sound deadening material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Sue Unit put on her shopping hat and we researched and I watched a few product videos and we settled on ordering the 80 mil KILMAT stuff...!
    Let me know how that KILMAT works out for ya. I’m in the process of stripping down the whole interior of the TA. I’ll be needing some sound deadener to go under the new carpet and haven’t even begun to investigate options yet.
    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

Let me know how that KILMAT works out for ya. I’m in the process of stripping down the whole interior of the TA. I’ll be needing some sound deadener to go under the new carpet and haven’t even begun to investigate options yet.
      Okay, I'll put it here. I don't have the stuff yet. They've got a pretty good demonstration video on their website of the procedure for applying it. I'm just wondering if it'll stick to painted wood. I used a piece of 1/8" plywood to fill in the hole where the upper backseat used to be. I'm feeling pretty stupid now about doing all this - insulating the floors and the tunnel when the whole back half of the car is like a bass drum.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Pdub - I have been trying to stay out of this BUT if you can remove the wood and put the stuff on the sheetmetal then put the wood back in - you will be much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
          Pdub - I have been trying to stay out of this BUT if you can remove the wood and put the stuff on the sheetmetal then put the wood back in - you will be much happier.
          Hmmm. I having trouble picturing what you're saying. That wood panel covers up the whole gaping hole which IS the trunk. I would put the stuff on the sheet metal where? On top of the metal that the wood panel is riveted to, or line the whole trunk and the trunk lid with it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1327966

Comment

I was ASSUMING that the wood was a replacement for the rear seat back which creates a separator between the trunk and the cabin area. Typically the noise is coming through the floor and quarters. When I did the wagon, I did the inside of all the external sheetmetal - doors, quarters, floors, firewall ....
            I know your are not redoing the entire car but the way I understand the sound deadening stuff - it keeps the sheetmetal from vibrating/transmitting noise. I doubt (and am often wrong) that the wood is actually causing the noise itself.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
              I doubt (and am often wrong) that the wood is actually causing the noise itself.
              I think the wood acts like a speaker cone for everything that's going on behind it. And remember, I did all of the work on it so it's f*ed up. The wood sheet is only attached to the car on the up-and-down sides, not across the top or the bottom. I didn't have anywhere to shoot a rivet through to except on the sides. That was all in lieu of one of those storebought rear seat delete kits which I don't know how they attach and I was gonna have to cut it up to clear the roll bar downward supports. EDIT: OOOohhhh, I get what you're saying about noise coming in through the floor and the quarters. I'm slow but at least I'm slow.
              Last edited by pdub; October 26, 2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I am pretty sure that stuff will stick to anything. I assume the foam in the seat acted as a sound deadening. I would put a layer in on it. Pull the spare tire and put some on the well in the truck.

The best sound deadening I have ever done on my car is add a turbo! It killed the flow masters drown!
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  I am pretty sure that stuff will stick to anything. I assume the foam in the seat acted as a sound deadening. I would put a layer in on it. Pull the spare tire and put some on the well in the truck.

The best sound deadening I have ever done on my car is add a turbo! It killed the flow masters drown!
                  One of the videos I watched, a dude was deadening a van. I mean a full sized panel delivery van. He said I'll show you far I've gotten so far, I've had to order some more stuff. He opened the door and "had to order some more stuff" became a pretty funny punchline. He was going crazy with the stuff, like he was trying to make a rolling music recording studio or something. And yeah, he didn't get far with one box of the stuff. Not far at all.

Comment

Let me know how that KILMAT works out for ya.
                    The stuff just got here today. I can already say it's real easy to work with. It's pliable and it's got enough glue on it to hang there but no so much that you can't move it around some before you mash on it. Warm it up with a heat gun and then work out on it with a seam roller and it's on there. I'll almost even say it's fun to work with but ask me in a few days when I'm good and sick and tired of putting it on there. And then whether or not it actually "works" will be another personal opinion further down the road. (Get it? Further down the road...hahaha)

Name:	100_0042.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1328184
                    Last edited by pdub; October 30, 2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

The stuff just got here today. I can already say it's real easy to work with. It's pliable and it's got enough glue on it to hang there but no so much that you can't move it around some before you mash on it. Warm it up with a heat gun and then work out on it with a seam roller and it's on there. I'll almost even say it's fun to work with but ask me in a few days when I'm good and sick and tired of putting it on there. And then whether or not it actually "works" will be another personal opinion further down the road. (Get it? Further down the road...hahaha)
                      Yeah, I got it Thank you for the update! Did you get a kit specifically for Red, or is it a universal trim to fit type kit?
                      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Yeah, I got it Thank you for the update! Did you get a kit specifically for Red, or is it a universal trim to fit type kit?
                        It's a box full of sheets and you cut whatever shape you want. It's easy to cut to shape with household scissors or with a utility knife. There's 36 square feet in the box and the box weighs 18 pounds. It was $68 from Amazon. It took a week or so to get here.

Name:	100_0044.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1328202

Name:	100_0043.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1328201

Comment

I used a similar product for Mary's coupe. Since I don't know how noisy it would have been without it, I don't know how well it's working. I do believe it keeps the metal from 'ringing', so that's a plus. You should be able to make a good comparison pdub.......like, 'before and after'.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            I used a similar product for Mary's coupe. Since I don't know how noisy it would have been without it, I don't know how well it's working. I do believe it keeps the metal from 'ringing', so that's a plus. You should be able to make a good comparison pdub.......like, 'before and after'.
                            Red's got Magnaflows so he wasn't noisy at all until I deleted the upper backseat to put the roll bar in. It'll take 3+ sheets of the stuff to cover that piece of wood over the hole. If that doesn't help I'll do the whole bottom of the trunk. There's a lot of stuff in that box but if I run out I'll order some more. It's gonna take me a while, I'm in no hurry.

Comment

Working on stuff makes us notice stuff I reckon. I never knew, Red's got two rubber plugs in the floorboard, one on each side in front of the backseat. I can only imagine this would be to let water out if the car gets flooded? I put sound deadener over them. Now I won't have to listen to the gurgling noise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_0045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	1328247
                              Last edited by pdub; October 31, 2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

If I put that stuff inside my skull will it dampen the sound of the voices? Nothing else has worked, especially at 1:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X