X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

You younger guys take care of yourself before you get old and decrepit like us older guys!
    WHAAAAAT??? Huh?!?!?

And yep, I was waiting for some feedback along those lines - you win! When I deleted Reds rear seatback to install the roll bar I was amazed at how much louder it is. Now I can hear pebbles hitting the underside on clean pavement. I dunno, and at the same time Sue Unit's saying leave him like that (no carpet), make him be a race car (now that she's ridden in a a real race car). Mine is a complicated world at times...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    A mil is 1 thousandth of an inch. Yeah it's an old English unit. But sound deadening? Really? That's why we spend huge amounts of money to make the exhaust system louder! And rock concerts and races when younger without any hearing protection...

Being half deaf, and losing more every year, well SWMBO is used to me answering anything with a What?

You younger guys take care of yourself before you get old and decrepit like us older guys!

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I assume a mil is a millimeter. Amazon has all kinds of sound deadening.
    Well hey Russell! From what I've gathered so far looking, 120 mil equals 3 millimeters so it's some kind of a wacky term for "something." And yep, it's all of the stuff on Amazon that's got me paralyzed. I've watched some videos about Mustang carpet installation and I still don't know WTH to get. If it was free I'd just get some different kinds and play with it. I want to replace the old stuff and I want to treat the tunnel on the driver side which had nothing at all on it.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I assume a mil is a millimeter. Amazon has all kinds of sound deadening.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Thanks Dan! I was working right along and then I saw the stuff underneath the old carpet and I got hung up, full stop. They built the car around the original carpet. I had to cut it to remove it. There were two places where the original piece was continuous- connected on both sides going over the tunnel and underneath al of the stuff inside the center console. It's impossible to install the replacement carpet that way. I'm hoping to find something thick enough to help the side panels hold the new carpet up snugly on the sides...if that makes any sense at all.
    Last edited by pdub; October 23, 2022, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I haven't worked with this stuff yet but my (imperfect) understanding: There are 2 kinds of product, a mat sort of material like Dynamat and similar, and a semi-liquid like Lizard Skin. "MIL" is a measure of thickness though (again as I understand it) more is not always better as some of the stuff is more effective than others so less thickness of the better stuff may be better than more thickness of the lesser stuff. I'm thinking the MP&C guy might have more info as I know they chose a product for the '55 Chevy wagon.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    started a topic Sound deadening material?

Sound deadening material?

I'm replacing Red's carpet. While I'm at it I want to put back some new/more/better sound deadening stuff. Part of the old stuff stayed stuck to the old carpet so the best I can guess is that it was born 3/4 inch thick. I'm looking at products online, they are 80 mil or 150 mil thick. What's a mil? What product do you guys use and/or recommend?

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	1327802
    Last edited by pdub; October 23, 2022, 08:53 AM.
Working...
X