Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing and Waxing,cleaning vehicle care.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing and Waxing,cleaning vehicle care.

I have always owned vehicles that I never really bothered with extra care other than washing it, and if it was lucky a coat of wax every other year.
    Most of them had dead paint or were ten plus years old by the time I got the vehicle , So I never bothered to do much care past washing them.
    My 2020 Mustang is my first new vehicle in 3 decades and I would like to take better care of it's interior and exterior but have no Idea where to start.
    Is there any video's that show how to do this and are designed for someone with no knowledge of how to do any of it.
    I know how to wash a vehicle, put turtle wax paste on , wait then elbow grease it off, per instructions but past that outdated waxing . I don't know how to care for it correctly.
    The information age is a double edge sword. Everything is a keystroke away, but both good and bad ways of doing things are that keystroke away.
    I would like to skip the bad habits, wrong way of doing it and learn/watch the correct or better ways of caring for a modern vehicles paint and interior.
    Thanks, in advance.
    Last edited by 2020 mustang; November 7, 2022, 05:18 AM.

what are you concerned about? It sounds like you know the basics. NYAmmo* is probably the best on the YouTube - mostly because he doesn't oversell what he's doing and he also points out the level of work that is required to get show-level shines.

What most don't say is this - car washes are hell on paint. Also, a good ceramic coat, professionally applied - is going to give you the best, longest lasting result. Finally, in the wax world there are as many snake oil salesmen as there are quality. If you've never heard of it, it's probably because it doesn't work.

Interiors are easiest to maintain - don't leave trash in it, get quality floor mats (ones that are fastened to the floor), and give it a good maintenance (leather cleaner, dash protectant) once a year. If you have tinted windows, use Sprayaway not anything with ammonia.

*in that 'keep it real' vein. NYAmmo cleaned a plane interior - the airplane basically was a birdhouse at the airport and birds got inside. He cleaned the inside but they are replacing the entire interior after the scrubbing - he showed the basics of getting nasty out, but sometimes even the best won't get the interior to the level needed.... thus, no magic restoration. Not sure he mentioned that in his version of those events, but the project is getting a new interior....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 7, 2022, 07:41 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      what are you concerned about? It sounds like you know the basics. NYAmmo* is probably the best on the YouTube - mostly because he doesn't oversell what he's doing and he also points out the level of work that is required to get show-level shines.

What most don't say is this - car washes are hell on paint. Also, a good ceramic coat, professionally applied - is going to give you the best, longest lasting result. Finally, in the wax world there are as many snake oil salesmen as there are quality. If you've never heard of it, it's probably because it doesn't work.

Interiors are easiest to maintain - don't leave trash in it, get quality floor mats (ones that are fastened to the floor), and give it a good maintenance (leather cleaner, dash protectant) once a year. If you have tinted windows, use Sprayaway not anything with ammonia.

*in that 'keep it real' vein. NYAmmo cleaned a plane interior - the airplane basically was a birdhouse at the airport and birds got inside. He cleaned the inside but they are replacing the entire interior after the scrubbing - he showed the basics of getting nasty out, but sometimes even the best won't get the interior to the level needed.... thus, no magic restoration. Not sure he mentioned that in his version of those events, but the project is getting a new interior....
      Just want to take care of it. been a long time since I bought a new vehicle. Plan on keeping it for a long time.
      Things have changed since my last vehicle I bothered caring about, and that was a 1978 T/A.
      Most everything else looked like it just rolled out of a junkyard, but mechanically Sound.
      Last edited by 2020 mustang; November 7, 2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

There are many resources available online to help you learn how to properly care for your new vehicle's interior and exterior. Here are a few tips to get you started:
        1. Interior care: Start by vacuuming the interior to remove any dirt or debris. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the dashboard, door panels, and other surfaces. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the surfaces.
        2. Exterior care: Wash your vehicle regularly using a mild car soap and a microfiber cloth or sponge. Avoid using household detergents, as they can strip the protective wax from the paint. Dry the vehicle thoroughly to prevent water spots.
        3. Detailing: Watch videos or read articles on how to properly detail your vehicle. This can include clay bar treatment, polishing, and applying a sealant or wax to protect the paint.
        4. Youtube: There are many tutorials available on youtube and other platforms that show you step-by-step how to care for your vehicle's interior and exterior. Look for videos from reputable sources such as professional detailers or car care product manufacturers.
        5. Car care Product : Look for car care products that are specifically designed for your vehicle's paint and interior surfaces. Read the labels and follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you are using the right product for the job.
        By following these tips and learning the correct way to care for your vehicle, you can help maintain its value and appearance for years to come.
        Last edited by James_Stainbrook; February 2, 2023, 06:18 AM.

Comment

there was a guy i tangled with (keyboardwise, unfortunately...) who had some
          vids on you tube where he spent 2 hours to tell you the "magic secret professionals
          use" is the 2 bucket wash method.... yeah. moronski.

honestly, any hand wash is good, NEVER use car washes as they recycle the water--
          and though they filter out the dirt, they cant desalinate or filter out the salt..........

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
            there was a guy i tangled with (keyboardwise, unfortunately...) who had some
            vids on you tube where he spent 2 hours to tell you the "magic secret professionals
            use" is the 2 bucket wash method.... yeah. moronski.

honestly, any hand wash is good, NEVER use car washes as they recycle the water--
            and though they filter out the dirt, they cant desalinate or filter out the salt..........
            you have a vehicle that you wash?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The front clip on Earl was repainted about 7 years ago to repair rock chips. The rest of the truck was painted in 2007. The trick is to keep it clean, keep it waxed. With a good coat of a quality wax, soap and water never sees the paint.

Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 30, 2023, 10:04 AM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                The front clip on Earl was repainted about 7 years ago to repair rock chips. The rest of the truck was painted in 2007. The trick is to keep it clean, keep it waxed. With a good coat of a quality wax, soap and water never sees the paint.

Does your truck get parked in a driveway or is it in a garage when not used. Sunlight does a number to paint.
                Nice , truck by the way.
                Last edited by 2020 mustang; January 31, 2023, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post

Does your truck get parked in a driveway or is it in a garage when not used. Sunlight does a number to paint.
                  Nice , truck by the way.
                  after a cruise Ed is the only one I know that grabs a spray bottle and rag before a beer and a coozie -
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	77
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	1332221....
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 2020 mustang View Post

Nice , truck by the way.
                      Thanks. The truck has 62K on it so far.
                      Sun does fade paint over time, plus the constant attack by my contaminants. Quality wax will keep the crap out/off of the paint but the UV can only be reduced by a cover, or garaging. All of my cars are garaged when at home. They do spend quite a bit of time on the road.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Earl wouldn't like it, being cooped up in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                        X