Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Thought that came to my mind, keeping in mind that I really feel for Jay and wish him all the best:

This is not a safe sport that we pursue. I'm sure all of us have had some sort of injury whether large or small. Right now my hands look like burger as I do the sheet metal repairs on the MGB (minor stuff to be sure). The end of my middle finger of my left hand is permanently disfigured from a chop saw incident. My point is that we know, or ought to know, when we get into this that we CAN be hurt but we choose to take the chances for the greater satisfaction of making something out of nothing or even just making what we have work. This is a lesson I try to impart to young Asa as we work in the shop and I try to teach him from my mistakes.

Will this make Jay walk away from his shop and his collection? I'd bet the farm that the answer is "no". Will he come up with a safer way to fire up the steam cars? Probably yes.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Jay Leno gives us a whole new reason to respect him, having such an accident then standing in that photo with a smile. But get real, that's an injury he'll never fully recover from, just finding out how bad and how long pain can hurt is life-changing. Only drugs will dull it. Said by a guy who's much-loved uncle died after a week in a burn center.
    burns are no joke.

I got lucky when I got burned, mostly 2nd and just a little 3rd degree. No grafts needed - thus far less chance of infection. I had a radiator reservoir explode - water went up the inside of my arm, inside my short sleeve shirt then a bit on my neck. It hurt a lot at first, but then my aunt got me to the hospital, 2 shots of pain killer and I slept so hard I thought it was the next day. The first bandage change wasn't terrible, but after that -when the white blood cells hardened into the wrap... I carry a non-stick gauze in my rescue pack simply because I don't want anyone to have to experience that....

worst part, though, was the 4 hour drive home to Portland from Walla Walla. Friend didn't have a driver's license so I had to drive with my arm fully wrapped and where they gave me the second, muscle shot of pain killer in my tush... that hurt the most of all... So timing - this was 1985, to this day, I can drive by the oak where the incident happened and remember it like it was yesterday.... for those who don't know, I live about an hour from there.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Jay Leno gives us a whole new reason to respect him, having such an accident then standing in that photo with a smile. But get real, that's an injury he'll never fully recover from, just finding out how bad and how long pain can hurt is life-changing. Only drugs will dull it. Said by a guy who's much-loved uncle died after a week in a burn center.

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    Good news! Jay is out of the hospital.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9SLu9Yt.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1329157

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    Thanks Malc-

Leave a comment:

• malc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    Jay tweeted something about gasoline, and of course - the media (knowing nothing about cars) ran with it. As it turns out, there is already video of Jay starting one of his Stanley Steamers when basically the same thing happened, minus the injury. Let's chalk this one up to slower reflexes.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by studemax View Post
    I was thinking probably one of his steam powered cars...
    Heard last night that he got sprayed with fuel while starting on of his steam cars, and then the fuel flashed....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Best of luck to him. I think it's good for the sport to have a well liked high profile guy like him who is really into it and is willing to tell the world. Hope he heals quickly.

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    I was thinking probably one of his steam powered cars...

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by studemax View Post
    Well, I hope he heals up quickly. Wonder which car it was?
    I'm guessing the one with a carburetor but that's just a guess... Get well Jay!!!!

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    Well, I hope he heals up quickly. Wonder which car it was?

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    started a topic Jay Leno got burned

Jay Leno got burned

Comedian Jay Leno is currently recovering at an L.A. burn center after his car erupted into flames, seriously burning his face.
Working...
X