Little over half of a C50 / 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little over half of a C50 / 60

This is me being economical / practical . I've actually been loving these and looking for these for almost the same amount of time as the bigger truck . Introducing my latest truck or at least start of one . 2000 GMC 3500 HD 2wd . It has leaf springs and a solid beam axle just like it's bigger brother . This originally was a 454 truck but the previous owner only bought the truck from a fleet sales to yank the 454 vortec 7400 engine out . I got the 4L80E trans which supposedly was rebuilt but not re-installed . ( not betting the farm on it ) I'm wanting to remove the rusted out from underneath utility bed and put a good flat bed on it . I'm wanting another votec 7400 or a 8.1 which is basically a big block LS engine ( LS style heads and firing order and more like a vette efi intake . Or a 6.2 to a 6.6 LS style engine and a T56 for the double overdrive ( I'll never need a granny low ) the body and frame are super solid . Plans will be to rob all the cool stuff out of the suburban and put in the new truck PS , PL , tilt steering consol box and overhead consol . Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221208-111118_Gallery_copy_1665x810.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1329888
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

I like how you think
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think you'll like that 4L80E, the one in my last Chevy was one of the great parts about the truck. Otherwise in a heavy (and rough-riding, a buddy had one he got from Cal Trans) vehicle, the car six-speed isn't really geared right.

Looks like fun.

Comment

The thing gas 4.56 gears going by what the seller told me . It will probably never have a really heavy load behind it or on it and we are mostly flat ground . Without actually crunching the numbers , it seems it would be fine . But my other manual choice ( and I really love rowing gears ) would be an NV4500 .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Around here Chevy NV4500s are about twice as easy to find as Dodge ones, a good option.

Comment

I love the 4L80E enough to hunt down a K2500 vs. a 1500 for my Suburban and I put one in my Riviera. No dismissing the like of row your own but the 4L80E is a solid piece for a truck. An 8.1L Allison out of a 2500/3500HD truck would be another option assuming you can get the full wiring package as well.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'm pretty much firmed up on either a vortec 7400 which my truck has the computer for .
              Or a 8.1 which I'll have to get the computer with it . Trans choices are narrowed down to T56/TR6060 ( because surely a BBC can pull the second overdrive at highway speeds in the Midwest) And I'd like to get as much mileage out of it as I can on long trips . But more than likely it will be an NV 4500 . The granny gear will be great for bumper to bumper traffic or if I ever do really load it down . That and I don't have to make a custom drives haft or have something custom break out in the middle of nowhere.I did get it home Sunday. Was going to drag it home 30 miles with a chain ( yeah I am that cheap and all my kids are good at it ) but it had no brakes . Next day I called a roll back and $220 later it is home . Probably to the disappointment to the neighbors and the wife .
              Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 13, 2022, 06:43 AM.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Heading to west side of St. Louis for an NV 4500 . One that has the drum brake parking brake like the 4L80E that's laying in the bed .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                  Heading to west side of St. Louis for an NV 4500 . One that has the drum brake parking brake like the 4L80E that's laying in the bed .
                  Load up a Rusty Iron Junkie Friend,
                  thermos of coffee, while gasing up,
                  Get Some Donuts, Chips, and Candy Bars........
                  And put a couple Extra Benjamin's in the Wallet......

IT'S A PARTS SAFARI

Comment

Heading back home from Angola , Indiana. 30 more miles till home . Had to stop a get off my butt . My drivers seat is shot . Just scored chevy's last hurrah of factory installed big block , 8.1/ 496 . 600 pounds in the back end of my truck with a less than stellar front end ( inspite of sinking a grand in the front end about a year ago ) made for a white nuckled trip back down I-69 . 60-65 in the slow lane . Last info here , I need to start a project thread !
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                    X