Tool Review - HF Drill Bit Sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Review - HF Drill Bit Sharpener

Bought a HF 61778 drill bit sharpener today. My drill bit sharpening skills are hit and miss - sometimes they'll make a hole and sometimes not so I decided to pull the trigger - at $35 I figured it was worth a shot and I could take it back if it didn't meet my expectations.

Bottom line - it works! It doesn't leave a pretty, shiny face like a new bit would have but it leaves a serviceable bit. The down sides - 1) mine came with no instructions but I found them online and 2) It takes some fiddling to get the center of the sharpened area in the middle of the bit, a skill that can be learned. Plus sides - 1) the sharpened bits make a nice curl in steel (didn't try aluminum or stainless) and 2) even though it doesn't say so on the box it will sharpen 1/8 bits using the smallest hole.

This unit sharpens from 1/8 to 3/8 or maybe a tad more - the big hole is marked 10mm. I wish it went up to 1/2 " (13mm) but for the price it's worth it.

I have a drill doctor but don't use it unless I've uncentered the point on the drill bit....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cool. I've never even thought of sharpening the bits, I just go get new ones. Actually I always break the itty bitty ones before they ever have a chance to get dull and I buy itty bitty ones, one or three at a time.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        Cool. I've never even thought of sharpening the bits, I just go get new ones. Actually I always break the itty bitty ones before they ever have a chance to get dull and I buy itty bitty ones, one or three at a time.
        That means either you're forcing them thru the hole and they bind upon breakthru (you want to reduce downward pressure as you get almost all the way thru the hole) or you're putting a side force into them - not holding the drill straight. If you learn to pay attention to those things your drill bit carnage will drastically lessen - though you might still break one here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
          maybe step up to larger bolts?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Gonna have to check that out. I have 4 or 5 drill indexes and usually sharpen by eye, but 2 of those sets are solid carbide. And made in the U.S.. Really spendy stuff that currently only gets used on really special projects. I wonder if it will work on them...

Comment

What I would be worrying about is how long it last before it turns on, but the bits come out as dull as they went in.
              IIRC the Drill Doctor one was 99.00 I am sure some of that is brand name mark up, but not 64.00 worth .

I buy new bits as needed for metal work, and then when dull use the sharpener and paint the end that goes into the drill red, and those are used for wood/ plastic, sheet metal.
              I don't trust old bits to not break in a bolt/stud I am trying to drill out , and snapping one in the bolt/stud you are drilling opens a whole other can of worms.
              Last edited by 2020 mustang; January 11, 2023, 02:06 AM.

Comment

The HF 61778 drill bit sharpener is a budget-friendly tool that can effectively sharpen drill bits, according to your review. It may not leave a shiny finish like a new bit, but it provides a serviceable edge. The downsides include a lack of instructions and the need to learn how to center the sharpened area on the bit. However, it has the ability to sharpen 1/8 bits using the smallest hole and makes a nice curl in steel. It can sharpen bits in the range of 1/8 to 3/8 inches or slightly more, with the largest hole being marked 10mm. You wish it could sharpen up to 1/2 inches (13mm), but overall feel that it is worth the price.
                Last edited by James_Stainbrook; February 9, 2023, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Oh boy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    Oh boy ...
                    Bot? Sounds like it, parroting back my post.

Comment

Working...
                    X