Octane boosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octane boosters

I found a thread on here but it was from 2008, what's your thoughts or experiences. There seems to be about 8 top products. I've got my old school 68 Nova with a 355ci 11/1 compression, 4-speed, 4.88 gear combo. I've always just bought VP 104 but now looking at alternatives besides AV gas. Comments.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Is this change financial based or for convenience?

Comment

Both, where I live there's not a lot of choices other than pump gas, and being a cast iron head it doesn't like it. Just don't want to order a drum of VP
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Sounds like you need a alcohol carb.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I like to mix in a little Avgas. Makes the car smell like a Cessna.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

If you're looking for alternatives to AV gas, you can consider unleaded fuels like pump gasoline (87 octane), high-octane racing fuels (such as Sunoco Supreme, VP Race Fuel C16, etc.), or E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline). However, it's important to note that not all fuels are suitable for all engines, and the fuel that works best for your engine depends on its compression ratio, ignition timing, and other factors.
            Last edited by James_Stainbrook; February 15, 2023, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
              Both, where I live there's not a lot of choices other than pump gas, and being a cast iron head it doesn't like it. Just don't want to order a drum of VP
              Define "doesn't like it". Give me some more details on this thing. What's the camshaft like? The cast iron head definitely isn't as good as an aluminum head at that compression, but with a stick and 4.88 gears that thing should have zero issue with detonation. Detonation doesn't happen, in a naturally aspirated combination, when rpm goes up because there physically isn't enough time for it to happen. And in that kind of combination you should have enough camshaft in it to bleed off low rpm cylinder pressure. With that said, I have some octane booster suggestions based on stuff I've used. I've used both Race Gas brand and 104+. I know lots of people who use Boostane and love it and I've known folks that use Amsoil Octane booster too. I've used Race Gas most recently and it worked well for what we were doing which was on the chassis dyno with a naturally aspirated late model truck.
              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
              X